FLAC conversion to iTunes

Started by TheGSMoeller, October 24, 2014, 06:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richisew

Unfortunately, Apple's software and devices, like iTunes, QuickTime, iPad, iPhone, iPod, don't support FLAC format. To open and play FLAC in iTunes, a recommended solution is converting FLAC to iTunes recognized audio formats like MP3, M4A, WAV, AIFF, etc.

I know a step by step guide on how to do the task at: http://www.faasoft.com/articles/flac-to-itunes.html

Hope it will help you more or less.

Pohjolas Daughter

I would like help with how to safely (and relatively easily) convert FLAC files to ALAC (Apple Lossless).  I noticed that some sites aren't secure (not HTTPS).

Also, how do I make sure that I still also have a copy in FLAC format?

First time that I've run across this issue before.  I'm trying to add a free download from ClassicSelect into my iTunes on my Mac.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

Have you tried any of the links already in this thread?

A quick bit of googling also suggested a program called Foobar2000.

Really I think you're going to better off getting a program of some sort (some are free).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

AaronSF

I use the MediaHuman Audio Converter to convert FLAC to ALAC, and it works very well.  Like most software, it offers lots of options, so getting it set up to do exactly what you want it to do will take a little trial and error.  E.g., one option is that it can retain the original FLAC files and simply add the ALAC files, or it can replace the FLAC with ALAC.  Here's a link:

MediaHuman Audio Converter

lordlance

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 24, 2022, 05:10:16 AMI would like help with how to safely (and relatively easily) convert FLAC files to ALAC (Apple Lossless).  I noticed that some sites aren't secure (not HTTPS).

Also, how do I make sure that I still also have a copy in FLAC format?

First time that I've run across this issue before.  I'm trying to add a free download from ClassicSelect into my iTunes on my Mac.

PD

I would highly recommend downloading foobar2000. It can be very simple to do with foobar.
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: AaronSF on December 24, 2022, 12:43:37 PMI use the MediaHuman Audio Converter to convert FLAC to ALAC, and it works very well.  Like most software, it offers lots of options, so getting it set up to do exactly what you want it to do will take a little trial and error.  E.g., one option is that it can retain the original FLAC files and simply add the ALAC files, or it can replace the FLAC with ALAC.  Here's a link:

MediaHuman Audio Converter
Hi Aaron,

That's the sort of thing that I'm looking for (being able to keep the original FLAC file too).

As the original answers were almost 10 years old, I was trying to see what was new or which programs are regularly updated and safe, etc.

The one that Madiel had mentioned sounded nice, but I didn't see a version for Macs.

Foobar looked interesting, but when I checked Apple's app store, it said not available in my area.  :(

Thank you all!  :D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Holden

I posted on this thread quite a while ago, Since then I would strongly recommend dB Poweramp. I've used it to convert FLAC files to both MP3 and WMA. It will also do the conversions that you want.
Cheers

Holden

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Holden on January 08, 2023, 10:55:13 PMI posted on this thread quite a while ago, Since then I would strongly recommend dB Poweramp. I've used it to convert FLAC files to both MP3 and WMA. It will also do the conversions that you want.
Thanks.  I think that I'll give it a shot.  :)

Oh, just to be certain, can you keep the original FLAC files too?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Holden

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 09, 2023, 04:13:55 AMThanks.  I think that I'll give it a shot.  :)

Oh, just to be certain, can you keep the original FLAC files too?

PD

Yes you can, dBP makes an entirely new file for you. What you do is copy and paste the original files into a new folder and then do the conversion (to ALAC I presume). I made sure I put them in a different place but you don't have to. When I first did this however, I had two copies of each track together in both the old and the new format. However, you can program it not to.

dBP is a very versatile program. If I wanted to I could convert my FLAC5 files back into WMA but I don't see the need at this point.

Another thing I have to think about is that my car audio only seems to recognise MP3.

Finally, I have the paid version of dB Poweramp (one subscription for a lifetime including updates)and use these three modules

CD Ripper
Music Converter
Batch Converter

You do get a trial period. It is worth paying for because it does so much. Daverz, who is a forum member put me onto it from posts he made here.

https://dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

Cheers

Holden

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Holden on January 09, 2023, 10:53:12 AMYes you can, dBP makes an entirely new file for you. What you do is copy and paste the original files into a new folder and then do the conversion (to ALAC I presume). I made sure I put them in a different place but you don't have to. When I first did this however, I had two copies of each track together in both the old and the new format. However, you can program it not to.

dBP is a very versatile program. If I wanted to I could convert my FLAC5 files back into WMA but I don't see the need at this point.

Another thing I have to think about is that my car audio only seems to recognise MP3.

Finally, I have the paid version of dB Poweramp (one subscription for a lifetime including updates)and use these three modules

CD Ripper
Music Converter
Batch Converter

You do get a trial period. It is worth paying for because it does so much. Daverz, who is a forum member put me onto it from posts he made here.

https://dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

Thank you for the info!  Much appreciated.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter