Author Topic: Christian Wolff lecture on experimental music  (Read 1637 times)

Offline petrarch

• Veteran member
  • Luigi Nono (1924-1990)
Christian Wolff lecture on experimental music
« on: October 25, 2014, 04:13:19 PM »
Very interesting lecture by Christian Wolff on experimental music, recorded last May at the University of London:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I6WwY4ftdI

That series of videos is generally worthwhile, with interviews and lectures on, with or by Maxwell-Davies, Birtwistle, Ferneyhough, and others.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Offline Artem

• Veteran member
Re: Christian Wolff lecture on experimental music
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 11:15:51 AM »
Thank you for this. I enjoyed listening to him talk and especially his idea of good music = experimental music and vice versa.

By the way, how's it that there's no individual topic for Christian Wolff's music? This should be it, i think.

Offline torut

• Veteran member
Re: Christian Wolff lecture on experimental music
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 12:11:16 AM »
Thanks, it's really nice to hear, in Wolff's own words, about the influences on his music, studying with Cage, each of his musical stages, etc. The lecture is also fun (especially how a clarinetist couldn't stop playing a note.) It's interesting that his view of Wandelweiser composers is not so sympathetic. (He regarded it as just a second generation of what had been done.)

By the way, how's it that there's no individual topic for Christian Wolff's music? This should be it, i think.
There is a short thread The 'Downtown' New York School & Beyond but the posts are mostly negative. :D I too think Wolff deserves a dedicated thread. He is one of the original New York School composers who is still actively composing. I like his piano works very much and want to learn more about his music.