Christian Wolff lecture on experimental music

Started by petrarch, October 25, 2014, 04:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petrarch

Very interesting lecture by Christian Wolff on experimental music, recorded last May at the University of London:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I6WwY4ftdI

That series of videos is generally worthwhile, with interviews and lectures on, with or by Maxwell-Davies, Birtwistle, Ferneyhough, and others.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Artem

Thank you for this. I enjoyed listening to him talk and especially his idea of good music = experimental music and vice versa.

By the way, how's it that there's no individual topic for Christian Wolff's music? This should be it, i think.

torut

Thanks, it's really nice to hear, in Wolff's own words, about the influences on his music, studying with Cage, each of his musical stages, etc. The lecture is also fun (especially how a clarinetist couldn't stop playing a note.) It's interesting that his view of Wandelweiser composers is not so sympathetic. (He regarded it as just a second generation of what had been done.)

Quote from: Artem on October 26, 2014, 11:15:51 AM
By the way, how's it that there's no individual topic for Christian Wolff's music? This should be it, i think.
There is a short thread The 'Downtown' New York School & Beyond but the posts are mostly negative. :D I too think Wolff deserves a dedicated thread. He is one of the original New York School composers who is still actively composing. I like his piano works very much and want to learn more about his music.

brewski

A beautiful tribute to Christian Wolff by Steve Smith for The New York Times (free article).

Wolff turns 90 on Friday, and will appear at a New York concert in his honor next Saturday.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)