Affection and Aggression : Which 3 Composers Would You Like to Hug/Throttle?

Started by ZauberdrachenNr.7, October 29, 2014, 09:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: North Star on October 30, 2014, 07:35:46 AM
Yeah, right, and we Finns are especially crazy about hugging.  ::)

Excellent.

Uh, that goes for the blonde babes, too ... right?

North Star

Quote from: Marc on October 30, 2014, 08:27:24 AM
Excellent.

Uh, that goes for the blonde babes, too ... right?

I was being sarcastic but the not-so-evil-or-lacking-in-physiological-or-mental-benefis culture of hugging has definitely spread here as well, perhaps most of all among young / young adult females. I'm sure I've seen that particular 'blonde babe' hug her coach on a myriad of occasions.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Marc

Quote from: North Star on October 30, 2014, 08:46:51 AM
I was being sarcastic [...]

I thought you were only ironic. ;)

Quote[...] but the not-so-evil-or-lacking-in-physiological-or-mental-benefis culture of hugging has definitely spread here as well, perhaps most of all among young / young adult females.

Habits like these come and go. During my late teens (early 1980s), me and my acquaintances kissed each other (ON THE LIPS!) during our welcoming in the local discothèque, boys and girls alike. Now, being grown up and all, we just spit each other in the face. Typical Dutch/German behaviour.

QuoteI'm sure I've seen that particular 'blonde babe' hug her coach on a myriad of occasions.

Well, Kiira is huggable. :)

ibanezmonster

Quote from: North Star on October 30, 2014, 07:35:46 AM
Yeah, right, and we Finns are especially crazy about hugging.  ::)
I get the impression that many Scandanavians just stay inside and go online all the time because it's too cold outside. Why else do I see so many people from Sweden, Norway, and Finland online despite the tiny populations?  ???

North Star

Quote from: Greg on October 30, 2014, 10:34:03 AM
I get the impression that many Scandanavians just stay inside and go online all the time because it's too cold outside. Why else do I see so many people from Sweden, Norway, and Finland online despite the tiny populations?  ???
Perhaps it has also to do with our cultivation of culture, such as classical music..
But I have to admit it gets very dark here in the evening this time of the year.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: Greg on October 30, 2014, 10:34:03 AM
There's a great quote in an old Bogey movie. Mary Astor plays a woman from Medicine Hat who is in a bathing suit despite what he thinks is cold weather. "There's a Canadian for you. Let them take their clothes off and they're happy."

Finns too I guess.

EigenUser

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on October 29, 2014, 09:19:24 AM
[...]But also, I really don't have strong negative reactions about music; I did once upon a time and found it unproductive.  There's always something interesting or potentially so, I find, even if it lacks immediate appeal.[...]
I don't know which composers I'd like to hug/throttle, but I will add a big +1 for this attitude.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Marc

Quote from: EigenUser on November 01, 2014, 03:12:22 AM
I don't know which composers I'd like to hug/throttle, but I will add a big +1 for this attitude.

Someone who's making music should not be throttled.
That's what I always say.

madaboutmahler

"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

springrite

Quote from: Marc on November 01, 2014, 06:57:15 AM
Someone who's making music should not be throttled.

What about making noises, as I am sometime accused of?
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Marc

Quote from: springrite on November 02, 2014, 07:00:27 AM
What about making noises, as I am sometime accused of?

You mean, like poisoning a composer or musician by loudly farting around?

springrite

Quote from: Marc on November 02, 2014, 08:00:47 AM
You mean, like poisoning a composer or musician by loudly farting around?

From personal experience: The quieter farts are far more potent!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Ken B

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on November 17, 2014, 02:25:15 PM
Why the throttling, Artem?  'Cause he threw too much out?
Did you see the shirt he wore for the premiere of the Third? Throttling is too kind.

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Ken B on November 17, 2014, 02:44:09 PM
Did you see the shirt he wore for the premiere of the Third? Throttling is too kind.

???I thought that was why Artem wanted to hug him!

Artem

After reading Brahms biography, I think there should've been somebody who could had given Brahms a good shake up with regards to his attitude to certain things. But at the same time it is very hard to ignore how broken hearted he seemed in general throughout his life, because of that attitude of his. So, I think such a conflicting personality as Brahms may really need both a good hug and a good throttle.