Albinoni, Tomaso - The Other Venetian!

Started by SonicMan46, September 12, 2008, 10:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nimmerfroh

agreed!  Thanks for all the discussion, it's a lot of fun :)

Daverz

nimmerfroh

Thank you for alerting us of this release, I will check it out.

Que

I Solisti Veneti was very popular in its day, pioneering the Italian Baroque.

But to me this non HIP stuff hasn't aged welll....

Q

Daverz

Quote from: Que on January 30, 2021, 01:17:03 AM
I Solisti Veneti was very popular in its day, pioneering the Italian Baroque.

But to me this non HIP stuff hasn't aged welll....

Q

I like the sweeter string sound of a non-HIP band, particularly in Albinoni.  A lot of HIP groups have strings that sound too scrawny and make that white-toned whiny sound that is supposedly historical (did our ancestors really wax rhapsodic about that sound?).

JBS

Quote from: Daverz on January 30, 2021, 02:23:40 PM
I like the sweeter string sound of a non-HIP band, particularly in Albinoni.  A lot of HIP groups have strings that sound too scrawny and make that white-toned whiny sound that is supposedly historical (did our ancestors really wax rhapsodic about that sound?).

I grew up with that sort of style, so I have no problems with it. I just ordered the set.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

aligreto

Albinoni: 12 Concertos & Sonatas Op. 2 [I Solisti Veneti]

This is, for me, wonderful and very appealing music. This is consistent throughout the set. The music is delightfully melodic. The slow movements are richly harmonic and the fast movements have a good sense of forward momentum. The ensemble is not heavy handed in its interpretation or its performance yet it still produces the requisite gravitas for this music. I find that the ensemble sounds suitably small or chamber sized but which still produces a full and well balanced orchestral sound for this period of music. This is an old but very satisfying set.

JBS

Quote from: Daverz on January 29, 2021, 04:30:21 PM

A reissue of Claudio Scimone's Erato recordings, 16 CDs

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8863839--albinoni-edition
Having gone through that whole set, I think what Aligreto said below is a good assessment of the whole thing.
Quote from: aligreto on February 25, 2021, 01:57:28 PM
Albinoni: 12 Concertos & Sonatas Op. 2 [I Solisti Veneti]

This is, for me, wonderful and very appealing music. This is consistent throughout the set. The music is delightfully melodic. The slow movements are richly harmonic and the fast movements have a good sense of forward momentum. The ensemble is not heavy handed in its interpretation or its performance yet it still produces the requisite gravitas for this music. I find that the ensemble sounds suitably small or chamber sized but which still produces a full and well balanced orchestral sound for this period of music. This is an old but very satisfying set.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Daverz

I'd still like to hear some of these works -- Op. 2 in particular -- with a big modern body of strings and no "hair in the soup" harpsichord tinkling in the background.  I guess I'll just have to hang on to my old MHS LPs. 

SonicMan46

Re-post from the listening thread - for those interested in Albinoni's Op. 7 & 9 Works, both complete modern and period instrument versions are available, as explained below - I'm still one short on the period instruments - what to do?  ??? 8)  Dave

QuoteAlbinoni, Tomaso (1671-1751) - Oboe Concertos, Op. 7 & 9 w/ Stefan Schilli on a modern instrument; Nicol Matt/Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra - wonderful performances, but for period instrument fans, I also own the first two of three volumes (bottom row) w/ Anthony Robson and Catherine Latham on oboes, plus Simon Standage & Collegium Musicum 90, which have the two Opus works 'mixed up' - the remainder are on a third disc - this has been re-packaged (and re-arranged) into a 3-CD set (top row, 2nd/3rd pics) but is not a bargain, e.g. $37 on Amazon USA - might just get a DL to complete my 'period set', but that 're-arrangement' is attractive - drat!   :laugh:  Dave

SonicMan46

Finishing up my Albinoni CDs this afternoon w/ the recordings shown below of Op. 1, Op. 2 x 2 (Banchini incomplete), Op. 4, and Op. 6, the latter available on a bargain 2-disc Dyad w/ the Locatelli Trio.  Now, quoted below (from the beginning of this thread) are Tomaso's 10 Opus sets - in bold, Op. 3 & 8 are not in my collection - there are a number of options for Op. 3 but cannot locate any for Op. 8 - comments and/or suggestions?  Dave :)

QuoteOpus 1 (1694) 12 Trio Sonatas
Opus 2 (1700) 6 Sinfoniae & 6 Concerti à 5
Opus 3 (1701) 12 Baletti de Camera (à 3)
Opus 4 (1704) 6 Sonate da Chiesa for Violin & Bass
Opus 5 (1707) 12 Concertos
Opus 6 (1711) 12 Sonate da Camera for Violin & Bass
Opus 7 (1716) 12 Concertos for Strings / Oboe(s)
Opus 8 (1721) 6 Sonatas & 6 Baletti (à 3)
Opus 9 (1722) 12 Concertos for Strings / Oboe(s)
Opus 10 (1735) 12 Concertos for Violin

SonicMan46

Albinoni's Op. 3 & 8 - well, I've been searching since my last post and can find just one recordings of Op. 3 (first pic below w/ Ensemble Benedetto Marcello) - these seem to be Italian 'dance suites' and the attached reviews are not too promising; not even in the 16-CD box below are these Opus 3 and 8 works present.  Now just checked Spotify and the EBMarcello disc is there; also, present are 2 recordings of Op. 8 with Claudio Ferrarini (cannot find any reviews in a quick search) - BUT, I'll put together a playlist and listen over the next few days.  Dave :)

Spenserian

A brand new recording of Albinoni's Op.3, the "world premiere recording with period instruments", as opposed to the world premiere recording with modern instruments by Ensemble Benedetto Marcello. Sounds good so far.

Que

Quote from: Spenserian on July 19, 2022, 05:43:43 AM
A brand new recording of Albinoni's Op.3, the "world premiere recording with period instruments", as opposed to the world premiere recording with modern instruments by Ensemble Benedetto Marcello. Sounds good so far.

Agreed. I streamed it and liked it as well!   :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on July 19, 2022, 06:25:20 AM
Agreed. I streamed it and liked it as well!   :)

Well, I'll have to take a listen also!  ;D  Dave

P.S. a 2-CD set, $24 on Amazon USA with S/H; $17 on JPC - not on BRO (yet?)

aligreto

Excellent. Thank you for posting this.

SonicMan46

Well, finally arrived!  Performances even better on my own speakers - the period instruments are well described in the notes - a definite recommendation if you an Albinoni completist -  ;D  Dave

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 19, 2022, 06:43:11 AM
Well, I'll have to take a listen also!  ;D  Dave

P.S. a 2-CD set, $24 on Amazon USA with S/H; $17 on JPC - not on BRO (yet?)

Well, I took a listen on Spotify this morning and really enjoyed the performances done in 2021 in Florence - returned to JPC and the 2-disc set for me 'across the pond' was $14 w/ the Euro on par w/ the dollar at the moment.  Dave :)

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 20, 2022, 07:30:40 AM
Well, I took a listen on Spotify this morning and really enjoyed the performances done in 2021 in Florence - returned to JPC and the 2-disc set for me 'across the pond' was $14 w/ the Euro on par w/ the dollar at the moment.  Dave :)

Good for you, Dave!  :)

Spotted Horses

Poking around in this thread, I see that it was in 2013 (9 years ago) that I mentioned my attraction to Albinoni's Op 1 Trio Sonatas, and may impression has been confirmed listening this week. The fact that it stuck in my memory for so long says something.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington