Lassus' Library

Started by snyprrr, November 25, 2014, 06:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Orlando di Lassus (1532-1594) - not much in my collection, i.e. the two shown previously and the 4 recordings before - not much at all considering his fame and output, outlined in the summary bio below (much more at the link).  About done listening to these recordings which are all quite good to my ears - BUT, if others are worth a listen, please suggest; also there is likely much more I could add w/ a composer this prolific but space is always an issue, i.e. a couple of additions maybe?  8)  Dave

QuoteOrlando de Lassus (also Orlando di Lasso, Orlandus Lassus, et al) was a composer of the late Renaissance, chief representative of the mature polyphonic style of the Franco-Flemish school, and considered to be one of the three most famous and influential musicians in Europe at the end of the 16th century. One of the most prolific, versatile, and universal composers of the late Renaissance, Lassus wrote over 2,000 works in all Latin, French, Italian and German vocal genres. These include 530 motets, over 400 Italian madrigals/French chansons/90 German lieder, 60 or so masses, 4 passions, penitential psalms; no instrumental music is known to exist and/or is lost. (Source)

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 12, 2021, 08:43:12 AM
Orlando di Lassus (1532-1594) - not much in my collection, i.e. the two shown previously and the 4 recordings before - not much at all considering his fame and output, outlined in the summary bio below (much more at the link).  About done listening to these recordings which are all quite good to my ears - BUT, if others are worth a listen, please suggest; also there is likely much more I could add w/ a composer this prolific but space is always an issue, i.e. a couple of additions maybe?  8)  Dave

This

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on September 12, 2021, 09:06:19 AM
This

Well, the Sibylla recording is expensive at PrestoMusic & JPC, and not found on Amazon USA, BUT at BRO the CD inserted above w/ Prophetiae Sibyllarum, plus only Lassus fillers to 74+ mins is just $9 USD - found 3 excellent reviews attached; I'd like that 'work' so will put the CD in my BRO cart; usually need 4-5 to justify the inexpensive shipping there - some more looking!  Thanks again for your help.  Dave :)

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 12, 2021, 10:13:58 AM
Well, the Sibylla recording is expensive at PrestoMusic & JPC, and not found on Amazon USA, BUT at BRO the CD inserted above w/ Prophetiae Sibyllarum, plus only Lassus fillers to 74+ mins is just $9 USD - found 3 excellent reviews attached; I'd like that 'work' so will put the CD in my BRO cart; usually need 4-5 to justify the inexpensive shipping there - some more looking!  Thanks again for your help.  Dave :)

Also Hilliard to think about, if you like Covey-Crump.

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 12, 2021, 10:13:58 AM

In my comparison of available Prophetiae Sibyllarum recordings this came up as my clear favourite:

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on September 13, 2021, 12:31:28 AM
In my comparison of available Prophetiae Sibyllarum recordings this came up as my clear favourite:

Thanks Mandryka & Que for suggestions on a version of Prophetiae Sibyllarum - first, I wanted an 'all-Lassus' disc and had placed 'The Brabant Ensemble' in my BRO basket @ $9, but had not added much more to justify mailing costs; so, I just finished looking at the reviews (attached) on Que's recommendation; Gio from Amazon (one of the few people I respect there) also states it's the best recording available of this work - I just received some Amazon credit and used enough to get 'half off' - placed the order on Amazon, and should arrive by the weekend.  Dave :)

Mandryka