Delalande's Dormation

Started by snyprrr, November 25, 2014, 06:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

If you have not heard Michel-Richard Delalande's (1657-1726) 'Dies Irie' on an Harmonia Mundi/Herreweghe release, you have not heard The Real Deal. I Post this in time for the holidays, so you can order your copy for a candle lit, snowy eve.

71 dB

Quote from: snyprrr on November 25, 2014, 06:47:58 AM
If you have not heard Michel-Richard Delalande's (1657-1726) 'Dies Irie' on an Harmonia Mundi/Herreweghe release, you have not heard The Real Deal. I Post this in time for the holidays, so you can order your copy for a candle lit, snowy eve.

The Real Deal seems to be OOP  ::)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

king ubu

in addition to the Herrewghe (some acceptable offers at least on aFR marketplace), these all come easily recommended:

[asin]B000ZOSN5K[/asin]
[asin]B00006RNHS[/asin]
[asin]B000NQDE86[/asin]
[asin]B0000030OK[/asin]
[asin]B002CMRFZM[/asin]
[asin]B00005B6RP[/asin]

There was another one by Skidmore on Hyperion - but pulled back for some stupid reasons - this here:
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA67325
There was an explanation on the site before they just revamped it, not sure if it's hidden anywhere, new site sucks muchly.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

snyprrr

Quote from: 71 dB on November 25, 2014, 09:12:59 AM
The Real Deal seems to be OOP  ::)

outrageous!! :o And there's no substitute??... oy vey... the end is truly near...

Quote from: king ubu on November 25, 2014, 12:53:40 PM
in addition to the Herrewghe (some acceptable offers at least on aFR marketplace), these all come easily recommended:

[asin]B000ZOSN5K[/asin]
[asin]B00006RNHS[/asin]
[asin]B000NQDE86[/asin]
[asin]B0000030OK[/asin]
[asin]B002CMRFZM[/asin]
[asin]B00005B6RP[/asin]

There was another one by Skidmore on Hyperion - but pulled back for some stupid reasons - this here:
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA67325
There was an explanation on the site before they just revamped it, not sure if it's hidden anywhere, new site sucks muchly.

any single one you'd recommend?

JCBuckley

Isabelle Desrochers' performance of the Tenebres is wonderful - my top De Lalande recommendation.

king ubu

Quote from: JCBuckley on November 26, 2014, 12:16:24 PM
Isabelle Desrochers' performance of the Tenebres is wonderful - my top De Lalande recommendation.

That one or the Lefilliatre/Dumestre would be my top recommendations, I guess, next to the Herrweghe. But the Christie discs are cheap and wonderful, too!

There's also one more on musique d'abord:

[asin]B000OCYGSG[/asin]
But I don't enjoy this one as much as any of the vocal discs so far.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Drasko

Quote from: king ubu on November 25, 2014, 12:53:40 PM
[asin]B0000030OK[/asin]

that's been reissued as:

[asin]B00B1VRPA0[/asin]

king ubu

Quote from: Drasko on November 26, 2014, 02:46:41 PM
that's been reissued as:

[asin]B00B1VRPA0[/asin]
Wasn't aware ... was rather difficult to get all those Delalande discs - and after hearing one of the Christies, it was clear to me I needed some more. Got the ASV edition used, if memory serves me right. Only knew some of there rather cheapo classic jazz reissues, but this one is a pretty nice edition, really.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Drasko

Quote from: king ubu on November 26, 2014, 11:11:03 PM
... was rather difficult to get all those Delalande discs - and after hearing one of the Christies, it was clear to me I needed some more.

There are other, but not that many in total, even more difficult to get. Lot of recorded Delalande is currently out of print.

These two were axed as result of that copyrights lawsuit business. Both rather good, unfortunately.

These two I'd like to hear but couldn't find them at acceptable price so far.

This one I kept postponing buying (on account of not being the greatest fan of boys' choirs) and it eventually went out of print before I did.

or
These two I have but can't really recommend. Higginbottom sounds bit square rhythmically, and that whitish ethereal collegiate choir sound to me sounds misplaced in this repertoire. Others might disagree.
Corboz tends to plod, and vibratos are on the heavy side, instruments are modern I believe.

And that's about it, I think. Of Delalande's 60-something Grand Motets about 15 have been recorded so far.   

king ubu

Thanks! I'm aware of the two in the top row (have the Herreweghe, wasn't aware it had to be pulled for the same reason as the Hyperion) but of none of the others. Searching around, there's some more (on Vol. 6 of Deller's Vanguard recordings, but I guess that's more than I need there), and I also just found this:

[asin]B000ENV2UA[/asin]

Looks pretty interesting!

Then there's one more recording of the Leçons:

[asin]B000050JZG[/asin]
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Drasko

Purely instrumental pieces interest me less. Didn't know about Deller's De Profundis.

While at early-proto-partially hip there is an L'Oiseau-Lyre LP with Boyd Neel Orchestra conducted by Antony Hopkins from 1957 with Te Deum and Confitemini Domino et invocate (the only recording of that motet I believe). Worth hearing. Very decent LP rip can be downloaded for free from here:

http://pristineclassics.blogspot.com/2012/09/antony-hopkins-boyd-neel-orchestra-de.html

king ubu

I ordere the Coin disc yesterday. Not sure what to expect, as I said, I don't enjoy the Reyne disc that much, either. But this sounds different, it being incidental musics of all kinds, dances of all sorts, mostly very short. No idea if it makes for good listening at length.

Thx for the link - will check it out!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Drasko

https://www.youtube.com/v/RzJmUtLz5Zs

Just found this on youtube. Had no idea video existed. It's a complete concert from Chapelle Royale de Versailles, September 1990. It is an all Delalande program by Les Arts Florissants / William Christie corresponding with two of their Delalande CDs released during same period. Picture and sound quality is fine if not HD, music is wonderful and it's one of the strongest Les Arts Florissants vocal line-ups with Veronique Gens and Sandrine Piau in their mid-twenties and Fouchecourt and Correas at their best. Definitely worth seeing, program in order is Confitebor tibi Domine, Super filumina Babilonis, Miserere à voix seule and ends with Te Deum, then couple of encores by Charpentier and Bouzignac.

The new erato

Have you heard their single disc dedicated to Bouzignac? Pretty amazing stuff, its originality partly explained by Bouzignac being holed up in Grenoble With little acess to the streamlined style expected in Paris.

Drasko

Quote from: The new erato on September 29, 2015, 03:26:57 AM
Have you heard their single disc dedicated to Bouzignac? Pretty amazing stuff, its originality partly explained by Bouzignac being holed up in Grenoble With little acess to the streamlined style expected in Paris.

I have the Bouzignac disc, and I agree it is very interesting and pretty unique music, I think it's madrigal based and then he went his own ways, as you said, probably due to relative isolation of south of France.

Though Bouzignac is much before Delalande, and Lully's founding French baroque as we know it. To be honest I'm very little familiar with what was mainstream French music during Bouzignac's life, the first three or four decades of 17th century. Was it Musique mesuree of Le Jeune and Du Caurroy, or airs de cour, Carissimi's Oratorios? Any suggestions?

The new erato

Quote from: Draško on September 29, 2015, 04:47:52 AM
To be honest I'm very little familiar with what was mainstream French music during Bouzignac's life, the first three or four decades of 17th century. Was it Musique mesuree of Le Jeune and Du Caurroy, or airs de cour, Carissimi's Oratorios? Any suggestions?
I'm afraid you trust me with more knowledge than I have, but perhaps other could chime in?

SurprisedByBeauty