The Music Room > Classical Music for Beginners

The Abbreviation Thread

(1/8) > >>

Maciek:
I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't always know all of the orchestra acronyms that appear on GMG. Also, there's a problem with orchestras from exotic countries like Poland, where the acronym that is the standard in a given country doesn't make much sense in the English-speaking world (examples will follow). So I'm starting a thread where you can post acronyms of the popular orchestras near you or simply your favorite orchestras. Also, we can ask each other here about the meaning of the musical acronyms we don't understand. Later on, when someone doesn't know what an acronym means, he or she can always do a search limited to this thread (in order to do that you simply have to enter this thread - and you've already done that, if you're reading this - and use the search parser at the top of the page; it will only return results from this thread).

So here's an example of a Polish orchestra with a complicated acronym status:

The Polish Radio National Symphony Orchestra = that would be PRNSO. ALSO KNOWN AS the National Symphony Orchestra of the Polish Radio = NSOPR. Which was formerly known as the Great Symphony Orchestra of the Polish Radio = GSOPR. Sometimes "and Television" is added at the end (which would give NSOPRT or NSOPRTV, GSOPRT or GSOPRTV).

However, the Polish acronyms are quite standardized. WOSPR is for the old name (Wielka Orkiestra Symfoniczna Polskiego Radia [i Telewizji]). NOSPR for the new one (Narodowa Orkiestra Symfoniczna Polskiego Radia [i Telewizji]). The orchestra is seated in Katowice.

This orchestra is NOT TO BE CONFUSED with the Polish Radio Orchestra (PRO). Here the Polish acronym is POR (Polska Orkiestra Radiowa). This one is from Warsaw. I'm not sure if it even still exists - they were going to dissolve it a couple of months ago because of financial difficulties.

Maciek

CK:
Well since I think I'm the only one living in Hong Kong I will do the acronyms for the Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra.  It's simply HKPO. 

Btw it actually improved quite a lot under the lead of de Waart.

uffeviking:
Interesting new thread should clarify a lot of questions - except the rare cases where two, or more, institutions have the same acronym.  :-\

BPO - could be the Budapest Philharmonic Orchestra, or the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra! Maybe in such a case, listing the name of the city would be helpful.  ;)

karlhenning:

--- Quote from: uffeviking on April 13, 2007, 05:53:46 AM ---Interesting new thread should clarify a lot of questions - except the rare cases where two, or more, institutions have the same acronym.  :-\

--- End quote ---

BSO, which can mean either Boston or Baltimore . . . .

Joe Barron:

--- Quote from: uffeviking on April 13, 2007, 05:53:46 AM ---Interesting new thread should clarify a lot of questions - except the rare cases where two, or more, institutions have the same acronym.  :-\

BPO - could be the Budapest Philharmonic Orchestra, or the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra! Maybe in such a case, listing the name of the city would be helpful.  ;)

--- End quote ---

Is there such a thing as the Boston Philharmonic? In these pages, I refer to the Boston Symphony Orhcestra as the BSO.

I usually identify the Chicago Symphony Orchestra as the CSO, and the New York Philharmonic is the NYPO. The San Francisco Symphony may be the SFS sometimes, but everything else I identify by name.

The Philadelphia Orchestra occasionally refers to itself as the POA, for Philadelphia Orchestra Association, but that's generally just an in-house designation. In the real world, it's just the Philadelphia Orchrestra, or the Philadelphia, or, on a whim, The Philly Orch.

By the way, just to be clear: none of these are acronyms, Mr Osa. They are abbrevations. Technically, an acronym is an abbreviation that actually spells a word, such as Students Together Opposing Prejudice, whose acronym is STOP, or Mothers Against Drunk Driving, which whose acronym is MADD.   ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version