Author Topic: Creating a world class library of LPs: Bartok String Quartets  (Read 1290 times)

Offline banpuku

Creating a world class library of LPs: Bartok String Quartets
« on: January 09, 2015, 07:51:33 AM »
I am embarking upon building / collecting a world class "string quartet library" of vinyl LPs.  Over the past year, I have purchased several SQ LPs and feel comfortable enough to start focusing on this as my primary theme for LP collecting.  While we can argue all day/night over where to start, I would like to make this simple suggestion:

1.  Over the next few months, I will propose several different SQ composers
2.  We should give our opinions as to which LPs we feel should be part of a SQ world class collection.
3.  To begin with, I will propose my favorite composer - Bartok

As you know, Bartok's string quartets were groundbreaking in the 20th century period.  I have collected the following LPs to date:

String Quartets Complete Cycle (Bartok)   EMI
String Quartets Complete Cycle (Eder)    Telefunken
String Quartets Complete Cycle (Fine Arts)   Concert Disc
String Quartets Complete Cycle (Hungarian)   DGG
String Quartets Complete Cycle (Juilliard)   Columbia
String Quartets Complete Cycle (Ramor)   Vox
String Quartets Complete Cycle (Tokyo)   DGG
String Quartets Complete Cycle (Vegh)      MHS
String Quartets Complete Cycle (Vegh)      Telefunken
String Quartets Complete Cycle (Vegh)      Valois

As you think about this, please suggest other LPs that would qualify for a world class collection.  I do understand that some of the cycles that I already have are not considered "world class", but at least we know the current inventory.

The missing cycle that stands out the most is Juilliard.  But, it would be nice to have some input on which Juilliard cycle.

Since many of our contributors listen to digital as well as vinyl, please feel free to add digital recommendations but please note as digital when doing so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Creating a world class library of LPs: Bartok String Quartets
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 08:22:05 AM »
The first Juilliard, the Tatrai, the second Takacs(dig), the odd one from New Music Quartet and The Kolisch quartet (I do not know if it was commercial on LP), the two CDs from Zehetmair (dig.)

The New Hungarrian (dig) also is interesting I think, but no ne agrees with me. My most recent listening has been with the Lindsays (dig only as far as I know), so far I've only hears 4 and 6 but I like it a lot. Again, no one else does.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:15:59 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

snyprrr

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 10:06:34 AM »
TURN BACK TURN BACK!!!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You will most likely be visiting the CDCDCD Thread,... it works on LPs too ;)

Yes, everyone here seems to believe that God Himself will accept their "Library" into Heaven,... "Look Father, look at what "I" have put together for you!" 0:) tee hee, yes, we all have the best of intentions when we start, giggle

I will mark the calender six months from now,... we'll chat! 8)

Offline NorthNYMark

• Currently Listening to:
    Beethoven, Brahms, Bartok, Shostakovich, Ligeti, Carter (but always exploring; also listen to a lot of progressive rock and jazz)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 06:24:23 PM »
The first Juilliard, the Tatrai, the second Takacs(dig), the odd one from New Music Quartet and The Kolisch quartet (I do not know if it was commercial on LP), the two CDs from Zehetmair (dig.)

The New Hungarrian (dig) also is interesting I think, but no ne agrees with me. My most recent listening has been with the Lindsays (dig only as far as I know), so far I've only hears 4 and 6 but I like it a lot. Again, no one else does.

I agree with you about the New Hungarian , so there are at least two of us. Where I'm not so sure I agree with you, or an awful lot of folks, is on  the second Takacs.

I will add my own recommendation: The Novak Quartet.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 06:57:22 PM »
According to wkipedia, the New Hungarian LP set was on Vox SVBX 593.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hungarian_Quartet

I have it on an ancient Pantheon "Le Box" CD set.