Blind comparison: Mozart Fantasia K.475

Started by Cosi bel do, December 10, 2014, 06:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cosi bel do

I'm creating the topic already, so you can be informed that it will start in a month or so... Tell here if you want to participate, and also please tell me by private message what versions you'd like to see included (I prefer if we don't start citing names in the topic in order to keep the "blind" thing entirely blind).

There will actually be two different comparisons, one after the other. The first one only with versions on modern (or so called) piano, the second comparison with versions on historical instruments (and I might also take another Mozart piece for this second comparison). And there will be two rounds : one with 4 or 5 different groups of several versions, and then a second and last round. I have set no precise limit to the total number of versions.

PS. Brian, if you are wondering, go ahead with Funérailles, I'll wait until your comparison ends, or nears ending, before this one starts ;)

Participants (9) : Mandryka, betterthanfine, Que, Jay F, Jeffrey Smith, mc ukrneal, Moonfish, trung224, Pim

betterthanfine

Que

I'd rather have the fortepiano versions mixed in with the rest... But count me in! :)

Q

kishnevi

I will be glad to participate, but not before Christmas... work will take too much time out of my schedule until then.

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Cosi bel do

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 12, 2014, 07:34:43 AM
I will be glad to participate, but not before Christmas... work will take too much time out of my schedule until then.

Don't worry, I won't have the time to start it before 2015 ;)

Quote from: Que on December 12, 2014, 07:07:17 AM
I'd rather have the fortepiano versions mixed in with the rest...

I thought about that, but concluded that it would allow for discriminating versions on the sole choice of instruments, which is really not a good way to compare versions. It's like comparing Gould and Leonhardt in Bach, I guess you'd agree that it has a more than limited relevance...

Thanks to the first participants, don't forget to tell me by message what versions you like, which you wish to see included, which you have (and you might actually be able to help me, I'll explain what I mean).

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

trung224

betterthanfine

aukhawk

Quote from: Discobolus on December 12, 2014, 04:44:40 PM
It's like comparing Gould and Leonhardt in Bach, I guess you'd agree that it has a more than limited relevance...

There's always a preference, and that's all that matters.  Different people see different priorities.  Without any ground rules, what is being preferred to what could be any one of a dozen things, but the end product is, what performance/recording do most of us like most (or dislike least)?

Cosi bel do

Quote from: aukhawk on December 13, 2014, 03:14:54 PM
There's always a preference, and that's all that matters.  Different people see different priorities.  Without any ground rules, what is being preferred to what could be any one of a dozen things, but the end product is, what performance/recording do most of us like most (or dislike least)?

Yes of course, I know that, but it's also better to avoid turning a comparison into a fight between the pro-piano and the pro-PI... After all, we can probably decide together on what are our two favourite versions in 2 different categories. Just when I did 2 categories for Chopin's 1st ballade, with historical recordings and modern recordings (ie dead and living pianists), it was enlightening and avoided many unnecessary disagreements (those who disliked historical recordings just abstained).

Pim

Cosi bel do

I'm currently preparing the comparison to start it next week, but I'm still looking for a few additions. If you think you can contribute, please pm me ;)

Cosi bel do

Of course life made it difficult to think about it this week. Next week, then.

Duly noted, Scherzian, and with great pleasure ;)

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz