So, did you get any CDs for Christmas?

Started by vandermolen, December 27, 2014, 01:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

I decided years ago to get my Christmas CDs throughout the year. 364 days brings a far bigger haul than 1.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

I didn't receive any CDs (I never do) but my parents gave me $200 (plus some other things) to spend, but I'm still debating on what to buy. I'll probably not get anything with this money as I really already spent it on the Boulez Complete Columbia set and the Rachmaninov Complete Works set on Decca, so I think I'll just deposit the money and let these two sets be my Christmas.

(Oh goodness, I just re-read what I written above and this is a completely sensible, logical post. There's something happening to me!) ;D

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 27, 2014, 06:34:16 AM

(Oh goodness, I just re-read what I written above and this is a completely sensible, logical post. There's something happening to me!) ;D

We want the original M.I. back!!!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Jo498

I actually tell people that they should not give me CDs. I could do a wish list, but I will usually get stuff cheaper used or on sale on my own and rather ask people for other presents. Regarding monetary gifts I received, I probably should apply reasoning analogous to Mirror Images's sensible suggestion because I acted as springrite describes in #20...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 27, 2014, 06:34:16 AM
I didn't receive any CDs (I never do) but my parents gave me $200 (plus some other things) to spend, but I'm still debating on what to buy. I'll probably not get anything with this money as I really already spent it on the Boulez Complete Columbia set and the Rachmaninov Complete Works set on Decca, so I think I'll just deposit the money and let these two sets be my Christmas.

Awww, your posts are always sensible MI (I use Snyprrr as a reference)!

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

vandermolen

Quote from: Bogey on December 27, 2014, 05:06:29 AM
Here are the ones I posted on another thread: :)

I have the Casablanca one - a very enjoyable CD. Very atmospheric and nostalgic.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Moonfish

Nobody dares to buy me classical music cds as they fear I will already have them in my collection.  :'( :'( :'(   Like many here at GMG I buy my own compilations throughout the year!!   :P :P
However, my wife gave me the latest Pink Floyd album!!!     0:)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

71 dB

Quote from: vandermolen on December 27, 2014, 02:34:19 AM
Never heard of this book, so looked it up. Is it comprehensible to someone without much scientific background and who failed 'General Science' ( the easy option  ::)) at school? Looks very interesting.

Well, I have only read about 1/4 of the book as I have been doing other stuff. Lawrence Krauss is I think very good at explaining things in layman's terms. The book doesn't contain equations if you are affraid of them. Some of the concepts may take some thinking if you are not familiar with modern cosmology, but isn't that only a good thing that books makes us think? The book is obviously too difficult for idiots, but not too difficult for a person with normal intelligence and ability to think things over for a moment.

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

DaveF

Thanks to misunderstanding a chance remark of mine, my family got me iTunes vouchers  :( - which I nevertheless managed to spend fairly quickly on

[asin]B00003Z9UY[/asin]
[asin]B000YPW5GS[/asin]
and

[asin]B000001487[/asin]

The Nielsen, even in the curiously hoarse, muffled MPEG-4 sound, is the best I've heard the sonatas.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

flyingdutchman

My wife admantly refuses to buy me cds, dvds, or blurays.  She did relent on one item, The Wonder Years set from Time-Life.  Great tv show.  Other than that, got a Russell Wilson #3 jersey from my wife and daughter so I can root for my Seattle Seahawks in style.

Mirror Image

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on December 27, 2014, 12:20:56 PM
Well, I have only read about 1/4 of the book as I have been doing other stuff. Lawrence Krauss is I think very good at explaining things in layman's terms. The book doesn't contain equations if you are affraid of them. Some of the concepts may take some thinking if you are not familiar with modern cosmology, but isn't that only a good thing that books makes us think? The book is obviously too difficult for idiots, but not too difficult for a person with normal intelligence and ability to think things over for a moment.

OK, many thanks.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).