Author Topic: Worst looking CD/LP artwork  (Read 468226 times)

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
Re: Worst looking CD/LP artwork
« Reply #3620 on: November 17, 2020, 12:18:30 AM »
Is "&," a variant of the Oxford comma? It also looks ridiculous... I understand that one tends to avoid commas. Instead of spaces I have seen dots placed roughly where the upper dot of a colon would be as dividers. I had not realized that they were that frequent and don't know if there is a typographic term for them but it looks much better than the Simax cover.

Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Wendell_E

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    mostly opera and chamber music
« Reply #3621 on: November 17, 2020, 04:01:35 AM »
Is "&," a variant of the Oxford comma? It also looks ridiculous... I understand that one tends to avoid commas. Instead of spaces I have seen dots placed roughly where the upper dot of a colon would be as dividers. I had not realized that they were that frequent and don't know if there is a typographic term for them but it looks much better than the Simax cover.

The typographic term is "bullet" or "bullet point".
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
It's better to act today than to regret tomorrow.
(Mette Frederiksen)

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #3623 on: November 17, 2020, 04:49:32 AM »
What's is the OPTION key?

Hi premont,

On your Mac keyboard, it's on the bottom row and is two to the left of the spacebar (between the control and the command keys).  So, for example, if you simultaneously hit the option and the o key you get this:  ø or if you simultaneously do the shift and option keys (easiest with your left hand) and o (with your right hand), you get this: Ø

PD

p.s. Some time ago, I experimented with adding other language keyboards onto my Mac:  useful, but makes for very slow typing as now some of the keys are in different places.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 05:04:12 AM by Pohjolas Daughter »

• Veteran member
« Reply #3624 on: November 17, 2020, 05:23:47 AM »
Hi premont,

On your Mac keyboard, it's on the bottom row and is two to the left of the spacebar (between the control and the command keys).  So, for example, if you simultaneously hit the option and the o key you get this:  ø or if you simultaneously do the shift and option keys (easiest with your left hand) and o (with your right hand), you get this:

Thanks,  BTW I do not use Mac but PC. And it seems as if there is no option key on my keyboard, label Advent.
(Mette Frederiksen)

• Veteran member
« Reply #3625 on: November 17, 2020, 06:33:29 AM »
Thanks,  BTW I do not use Mac but PC. And it seems as if there is no option key on my keyboard, label Advent.
Ah, the link brought me to Mac instructions, so I wrongly assumed that that was what you had.  If you scroll up on that original link, you will see instructions for Windows (top right) that you can click on.  Hope that this helps!  :)

PD

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #3626 on: November 17, 2020, 06:39:01 AM »

On a PC keyboard there is Alt Gr immediately to the right of the space bar. This gives you 'third choice' options on a key - some of these are displayed on the key. My keyboard only has € (euro) visible(ie. marked on the '4' key) but others show up when Alt Gr is pressed - eg. é, á . As far as I can tell there is no way of finding out other than by trial and error.

If I can bothered I cut and paste from  a document I have saved with foreign words in it that I prepared with Office.

• Veteran member
« Reply #3627 on: November 17, 2020, 06:44:51 AM »
Thanks PD and Biffo for your help, it seems as if the options can be found.
(Mette Frederiksen)

Offline Wendell_E

• Veteran member
« Reply #3628 on: November 18, 2020, 03:24:32 AM »
On a PC keyboard there is Alt Gr immediately to the right of the space bar. This gives you 'third choice' options on a key - some of these are displayed on the key. My keyboard only has € (euro) visible(ie. marked on the '4' key) but others show up when Alt Gr is pressed - eg. é, á . As far as I can tell there is no way of finding out other than by trial and error.

If I can bothered I cut and paste from  a document I have saved with foreign words in it that I prepared with Office.

There's also Windows Character Map. You can choose Character Set: Windows Western for diacriticals in Western European languages, but use Character Set: Unicode for more options (ů, ő, č, etc. as well as characters from other alphabets).
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #3629 on: November 18, 2020, 04:00:21 AM »
There's also Windows Character Map. You can choose Character Set: Windows Western for diacriticals in Western European languages, but use Character Set: Unicode for more options (ů, ő, č, etc. as well as characters from other alphabets).

Thanks for the info, will have to explore the options a bit more.

Offline Wendell_E

• Veteran member
« Reply #3630 on: November 19, 2020, 04:00:45 AM »
Thanks for the info, will have to explore the options a bit more.

Here's another option: If I'm feeling really lazy, I'll just google "Dvorak", then copy and paste "Antonín Dvořák" from the results page.  :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #3631 on: November 19, 2020, 04:09:16 AM »
Here's another option: If I'm feeling really lazy, I'll just google "Dvorak", then copy and paste "Antonín Dvořák" from the results page.  :)
I've done that one before too--good suggestion!  I like the idea of having a text/word document with often used words, phrases or names in other languages.

PD

Online pjme

• Veteran member
« Reply #3632 on: November 19, 2020, 04:28:25 AM »
1950'ies silliness...

Offline Peter Power Pop

• Veteran member
    • Peter's Power Pop
« Reply #3633 on: November 19, 2020, 01:46:10 PM »

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #3634 on: December 01, 2020, 06:50:21 AM »

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #3635 on: December 01, 2020, 01:49:52 PM »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

• Veteran member
« Reply #3636 on: December 01, 2020, 01:59:02 PM »
I like it!  ;D

PD