Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szykneij

Quote from: Irons on February 04, 2021, 03:39:49 AM
Less so CD I grant you but for LP cover art is immensely important.

I agree. I feel the same way about wine. The cover/label should reflect the quality of what is inside.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Irons

Quote from: Szykneij on February 04, 2021, 04:03:39 AM
I agree. I feel the same way about wine. The cover/label should reflect the quality of what is inside.

Or a cheap plastic frame would not do for a Monet.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Irons on February 04, 2021, 03:39:49 AM
Less so CD I grant you but for LP cover art is immensely important.

I've got that book too, and contributed to a museum exhibition with some LPs at the Danish Design Museum some years ago ...  the author isn't that focused on analyzing the artistic trends and biographies though, it's more of an appetizer book. BTW, Taschen has made a massive, economical Steinweiss book.

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on February 05, 2021, 07:39:33 AM
I've got that book too, and contributed to a museum exhibition with some LPs at the Danish Design Museum some years ago ...  the author isn't that focused on analyzing the artistic trends and biographies though, it's more of an appetizer book. BTW, Taschen has made a massive, economical Steinweiss book.

I agree, it does not pretend to be a comprehensive survey but a picture book of a record collection. I am slightly embarrassed to admit due to it's ridiculous cost in investing "The Classical Long Playing Record" by Jaco van Witteloostuyn. I did get to know Shawm Kreitzman who was involved in the translation from Dutch. Really nice chap but lost contact many years ago.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

JBS

Let's have random upper case letters in the middle of words..

From Heidseick Complete Erato/HMV Recordings set. All three CDs of Mozart concertos have this style of cover "art".

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

T. D.

Quote from: JBS on February 07, 2021, 06:03:27 PM
Let's have random upper case letters in the middle of words..

From Heidseick Complete Erato/HMV Recordings set. All three CDs of Mozart concertos have this style of cover "art".

I tried to make sense of the bizarre upper-case (or enlarged?) letters, but couldn't perceive any pattern or encoding. Didn't spend much time on it, though...

Brian

I guess they anticipated SpongeBob case before SpongeBob ever existed  ;D

DavidW

It looks kind of like a ransom letter!  They just need to randomly change font as well.

DaveF

Quote from: steve ridgway on January 20, 2021, 09:23:33 PM

It's not really fair to pick on Turnabout as all their sleeves were terrible.  Have we had this one earlier in the thread?:

"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

MusicTurner

Quote from: T. D. on February 07, 2021, 06:17:13 PM
I tried to make sense of the bizarre upper-case (or enlarged?) letters, but couldn't perceive any pattern or encoding. Didn't spend much time on it, though...

I agree, there doesn't seem to be any consistent system, except from the whimsical fondness of some letters being bigger, and a certain strive for an overall graphic balance, also on most lines ...

steve ridgway

Quote from: DaveF on February 08, 2021, 10:38:38 AM
It's not really fair to pick on Turnabout as all their sleeves were terrible.  Have we had this one earlier in the thread?:

I don't remember seeing that. It looks like someone slipped a square some acid and played him one of the Gong albums with all that hippie nonsense about pot head pixies and flying teapots. ???

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

steve ridgway

steve ridgway

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Peter Power Pop

Dave Hurwitz's "Music Chat: The WORST Album Covers Ever!!! (Part 2)":

https://youtu.be/t6RAskhX47I

Brahmsian

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on February 09, 2021, 01:41:36 PM
Dave Hurwitz's "Music Chat: The WORST Album Covers Ever!!! (Part 2)":

https://youtu.be/t6RAskhX47I

Yes, I just watched that one today!

geralmar

MusicTurner

............... 'gonna raise quite a few eyebrows these days, but I think it is meant quite innocently, and it doesn't really provoke me personally. It's probably from around 1970. But of course it's misunderstood as regards the themes of the music; the title "Little Russia" is referring to a geographical area in Ukraine, not any "little Russian". The faked performer names are also somehow more in line with that ...

But here's some little known, curious stuff about the Soviet 1920s .... anarchist activists, in the nude, boarding public trams, etc. The 'Roaring Twenties' weren't just a Western phenomena:  https://www.rbth.com/history/328265-russian-sexual-revolution

Rinaldo

Quote from: Todd on February 09, 2021, 11:18:03 AM

Oh boy, I remember Dean Reed from my childhood but was spared of this. "Dean Reed and his world"? I guess he got what he deserved.