Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway

So why have they used a photo of the Moon when it's neither a movement in the work nor a planet? :-\

MusicTurner

Quote from: pjme on February 27, 2021, 12:30:09 PM
Everything!  :D :D :D

All the adaptations (puppets, animations, films and other commercial merchandising rubbish) of De Smurfen/ Schtroumpfs/ Smurfs are really bad and very ugly.
The original Peyo drawings are fine and often funny.

I liked them when I was a child. At first they were called 'snøvserne' here, but a local author complained about it, since he had already written children's books about a different creature also called a 'snøvs', and their name was then quickly changed into 'smølferne' ... they did develop into something less gracious and more heavily commercialized with the passage of time; albums have been released at least until 2017 ...

DavidW

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 28, 2021, 07:41:11 AM
So why have they used a photo of the Moon when it's neither a movement in the work nor a planet? :-\

The pictures from Mariner 4 (1965) around Mars are not stunning.  The first flyby of Mercury was by Mariner 10 in 1974.  Most planets wouldn't have flybys and great photographs until much later.  If you're dealing with an old lp they didn't a deep collection of stunning photographs of our planets like they do now.

pjme

OK - but there are many other sources of (historical) inspiration.

Or use oversized confetti !

MusicTurner

On could surely build a "The Planets" LP collection, just on the basis/subject of the varied covers and their content/attitude.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on February 28, 2021, 08:14:48 AM
I liked them when I was a child. At first they were called 'snøvserne' here, but a local author complained about it, since he had already written children's books about a different creature also called a 'snøvs', and their name was then quickly changed into 'smølferne' ... they did develop into something less gracious and more heavily commercialized with the passage of time; albums have been released at least until 2017 ...
I hadn't realized that they were created so long ago (no insult intended to you MT!).  I had thought that they were a much more modern creation?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 28, 2021, 07:41:11 AM

So, just curious, when were the first photos of Mars?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

pjme

Quote from: MusicTurner on February 28, 2021, 10:29:12 AM
On could surely build a "The Planets" LP collection, just on the basis/subject of the varied covers and their content/attitude.

Wikipedia article on Peyo: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyo

André

Quote from: pjme on February 28, 2021, 01:11:11 PM
Wikipedia article on Peyo: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyo

I preferred his other comic strip venture, Johan et Pirlouit. The stories intersect, as the Smurfs appear in half a dozen J&P stories.  :)

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 28, 2021, 12:32:58 PM
So, just curious, when were the first photos of Mars?

PD

Decent photos, mid-60s.  Telescope images are terrible because when Mars is close enough the Sun shines directly down so there is not much in the way of shadows to provide detail of the terrain.  That is why for a long time people thought they were seeing great canals of Mars when they were not.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on March 01, 2021, 05:39:59 AM
Decent photos, mid-60s.  Telescope images are terrible because when Mars is close enough the Sun shines directly down so there is not much in the way of shadows to provide detail of the terrain.  That is why for a long time people thought they were seeing great canals of Mars when they were not.
Quite interesting re the sun....thanks!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Quote from: DavidW on February 28, 2021, 08:29:09 AM
The pictures from Mariner 4 (1965) around Mars are not stunning.  The first flyby of Mercury was by Mariner 10 in 1974.  Most planets wouldn't have flybys and great photographs until much later.  If you're dealing with an old lp they didn't a deep collection of stunning photographs of our planets like they do now.

Good point seeing as those Mars images were of cratered areas so look like rather poor quality pictures of the Moon.

steve ridgway

One for green people everywhere. ::)

Papy Oli

Well...this is horrendous...  :laugh:
Olivier

steve ridgway

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

steve ridgway

Brian

steve ridgway

steve ridgway