Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

But isn't that more of a "classic album remastered" design? They would be better of with some kind of collage of the albums they're sampling or else its as though the sampler itself is the classic album.

Madiel

It doesn't say it's a classic album. It says it's a classical sampler.

Nor does it say anything about remastering.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SimonNZ

You misunderstand me. I'm talking about the branding:

like if they'd put the image of the sampler cd inside this cover format:

Madiel

But they didn't. Now you're asking me to comment not on the actual cover that was posted on the thread, but on some imaginary cover.

They put Little Richard on the cover of an album that presumably contains a recording of Little Richard. They put a generic image of a CD on a sampler. I would have thought that here, of all places, people could understand the difference between "classic" and "classical".  But now we seem to be delving into a complaint that you somehow can't tell that Original Master Recording is a brand name (despite the prominent trademark symbol) or that "master" and "remastered" are confusing. I personally would've thought that "original master" implies the exact opposite of "remastered" in any case.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SimonNZ

Quote from: Madiel on March 26, 2021, 03:09:36 PM
But they didn't. Now you're asking me to comment not on the actual cover that was posted on the thread, but on some imaginary cover.

Well, yes I am. Its not a terribly unusual thought experiment.

Anyway...I'm say that to me the sampler cover looks as though the central image previously existed as a cd with that cover and now they've added it to the series that includes the many other Original Master Recordings. If you see it differently thats fine.

Quote from: Madiel on March 26, 2021, 03:09:36 PM.

They put Little Richard on the cover of an album that presumably contains a recording of Little Richard. They put a generic image of a CD on a sampler. I would have thought that here, of all places, people could understand the difference between "classic" and "classical".

I'm not confused by the distinction between classic and classical. Like the Schwarzkopf the Little Richard cover already existed as a classic album before they rebranded it with the series format.

Madiel

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 26, 2021, 03:15:22 PM
Anyway...I'm say that to me the sampler cover looks as though the central image previously existed as a cd with that cover and now they've added it to the series that includes the many other Original Master Recordings. If you see it differently thats fine.

Do you actually understand what a sampler is? "Added it to the series" strongly suggests not.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Madiel on March 26, 2021, 03:17:28 PM
Do you actually understand what a sampler is? "Added it to the series" strongly suggests not.

ffs...yes of course I do.

And as I said I think they should have used a collage of the albums they were sampling. You disagree? Fine.

Madiel

What I disagree with is trying to turn a thread about presenting the worst looking covers into a thread critiquing covers that don't exist for albums that don't exist. You seem quite determined to ignore the actual words on the actual cover in favour of a theoretical construct.

The arguments about the cover would make perfect sense if it didn't say "sampler". But it does. The comparison with the EMI cover would make sense if it said "classic". But it doesn't.

To the extent that they bothered creating a cover for a sampler in the series, they used the same branding as the series being sampled. I recognise that you yourself understand what a sampler is, but your critique consists of arguing that someone might somehow think this is "added to the series" rather than sampling the series, and this theoretical person can only be misled in this way if they don't understand what a sampler is.

Well, I could argue just as well that if they'd used a collage image as you suggest, this theoretical person who doesn't understand samplers might believe that they're getting all of the albums depicted. It's the same basic problem of someone not understanding or ignoring the word "sampler". We cannot help this theoretical person beyond suggesting they look up words that they don't understand.

Madiel

Here is a collage album cover for example.

I'm pretty sure that it's actually a box set of 6 discs. The Amazon listing for it, however, says that it's 1 disc. Collection of albums, or highlights from them? A collage cover is not going to solve that question for you.

SimonNZ

I am critiquing the original cover posted, and if we can complain about font choices then I'm free to say that at first glance - even if the thought lasts only the few seconds it takes to correct it - it appears they are offering a preexisting album.

We're clearly talking past each other, so I'll have nothing more to say about it lest this descend further into insult.

pjme

steve ridgway

Quote from: pjme on March 28, 2021, 07:31:12 AM
Well....

Et voila!

That's very odd looking but someone's definitely made an effort.

steve ridgway

Why would anyone buy music so bad the instruments may as well have been crushed by heavy vehicles? :-\

Madiel

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 30, 2021, 10:11:06 PM

Why would anyone buy music so bad the instruments may as well have been crushed by heavy vehicles? :-\

Somehow that feels like a cover for Pink Floyd or similar.

Papy Oli

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 30, 2021, 10:11:06 PM

Here's a trombone of contention if there ever was one   :P
Olivier

71 dB

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 23, 2021, 06:22:13 AM
Well it could be worse. :'(

Cover art so horrible I need to convince myself it doesn't really exist outside my lunatic mind. Nobody posted this jpg of the cover here. I am just hallucinating it all. The reality can't produce albums cover art this horrible, images from hell.  >:D This doesn't exist, I am just hallucinating this because I am insane. Help me please! :o  :o
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: Artem on March 25, 2021, 11:05:57 AM
It isn't the worst, but does anybody else see a pepperoni pizza lying on the ground? That's what I see on the cover.

Whoever designed the cover must have thought it's Métabolisme, not Métaboles:P

71 dB

Quote from: Florestan on March 26, 2021, 02:36:57 AM
Pizza for me as well. I wonder what it really is.

Autumnal fallen tree leafs on grass.

Oh, pjme was faster...

71 dB

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 26, 2021, 07:23:48 AM
That's it? A photo of a CD?

I like this a lot. Black and gold go together so well.  0:)

71 dB

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 31, 2021, 05:14:27 AM
Here's a trombone of contention if there ever was one   :P

Hah! "Bone of contention" is a new English idiom for me. Sayings are different in languages. In Finnish bone of contention is "kiistakapula" ("controversy baton")

Apparently this "trombone of contention" is an old joke according to my googling.