Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on October 26, 2021, 06:07:16 PM
If anyone does like Crumb's music, Bridge Records is offering what seems a nice deal on its complete Crumb edition.  From the link to Bridge's website Peter provided, go to the bottom of the page to find a further link with the details.

This is how I acquired all of the Crumb recordings. A special note: there isn't a special box set for these recordings. It's simply Bridge sending you all of the individually released volumes plus a documentary on the composer on DVD, which comes with an autograph from the man himself.

SimonNZ

Maybe the idea is to counterbalance the Kronos Qiartet Black Angels image and expectation of Crumbs music by going hard in the opposite  direction.

Madiel

Quote from: T. D. on October 26, 2021, 05:55:26 PM
I looked up the booklet on the Bridge site.
The Variazioni were recorded in Odense, Denmark in 2007, and the cover photo was taken in Odense by Becky Starobin, President of Bridge Records and wife of guitarist David Starobin, the founder of Bridge.
So it is more or less a family travelogue photo.

Funny. Because it actually looked like Denmark to me. Though I couldn't fathom why that might be the case. And I've been to Odense.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

MusicTurner

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on October 26, 2021, 02:48:12 PM
I thought this was a refreshingly non-classical-music cover. It's almost defiantly non-classical-music.

Details at Bridge Records
Details at Amazon

Yes, he is standing near the Hans Christian Andersen childhood house in Odense. Crumb has been here on a visit, or several visits. The area is more of a mixed bag scenically, and urban, than the picture suggests, however.
Cf. https://www.visitfyn.dk/fyn/oplevelser/h-c-andersen-attraktioner

Pohjolas Daughter

Ran across this article on the BBC's website this morning.  It's about a guy in England who collects bad album covers (They're currently on display).  Includes images.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-59173827

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 07, 2021, 03:35:32 AM
Ran across this article on the BBC's website this morning.  It's about a guy in England who collects bad album covers (They're currently on display).  Includes images.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-59173827

PD

:laugh: That's just great, and if he pursued his hobby a bit more (he's collected 200 so far), I think he could go global with the info & stuff he's collected, if he has the energy. A brief interview with the BBC and an exhibition at 'Huddersfield's Piazza Shopping Centre' is just too modest ...

In Massachusetts, near Boston, there's an established Museum of Bad Art, 'MOBA', and it's great fun to check out their newsletter at times:
http://museumofbadart.org/

But this fellow's hobby is much easier and cheaper to cultivate.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 07, 2021, 04:11:30 AM
:laugh: That's just great, and if he pursued his hobby a bit more (he's collected 200 so far), I think he could go global with the info & stuff he's collected, if he has the energy. A brief interview with the BBC and an exhibition at 'Huddersfield's Piazza Shopping Centre' is just too modest ...

In Massachusetts, near Boston, there's an established Museum of Bad Art, 'MOBA', and it's great fun to check out their newsletter at times:
http://museumofbadart.org/

But this fellow's hobby is much more easy to cultivate.
I noticed that he had said that he had spent as little as 50p for one but as much as £50 for some others!  Eek!  I've heard of that museum and I think checked it out online once in the past.  :D

I liked that he was trying to help out younger folks:  "Mr Goldman, who suffered a stroke 18 months ago, is staging the event in aid of Different Strokes, a charity helping younger stroke survivors."  Nice guy!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

staxomega

Peter Power Pop

Madiel

Quote from: hvbias on December 17, 2021, 02:12:06 PM
Came up in today's listening:

Not a work that I knew about until now. And yet, knowing about the work, the cover suddenly becomes a lot less insane than on first appearance.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

The only mild complaint I have is that they should have gone the whole way and made the cover even more appear like an actual box of candy.
But maybe it's close enough, I am not buying/getting such stuff frequently enough.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

steve ridgway

staxomega

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on December 17, 2021, 02:53:45 PM
Love it.

Mmm: Chocolate.

I am a bit more weary of chocolate samplers, growing up in a small town a chocolatier was one of the small businesses and it was common for my dad to get liqueur chocolate boxes as gifts. What I mostly remember about them was the burning :) I do make sure we stock up on chocolate whenever we visit friends in Norway, same with France though that is a less common destination.

Quote from: Jo498 on December 18, 2021, 12:40:58 AM
The only mild complaint I have is that they should have gone the whole way and made the cover even more appear like an actual box of candy.
But maybe it's close enough, I am not buying/getting such stuff frequently enough.

This is a cover art that comes to mind. Also fits the theme as it was one of those labels that used gold plated discs... for those higher highs, lower lows and blacker blacks  :laugh:

staxomega

Quote from: Madiel on December 17, 2021, 11:32:26 PM
Not a work that I knew about until now. And yet, knowing about the work, the cover suddenly becomes a lot less insane than on first appearance.

Several of the pieces are also in "The Unknown Richard Strauss" box that DG licensed. As a whole for me something I had no problem skipping.

steve ridgway

Not so much of the clever graphic design on this one. ::)

steve ridgway

Moving on to a nice cup of tea...

T. D.

IMO this almost transcends ugly and becomes cool in some twisted way.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: T. D. on December 19, 2021, 09:19:48 AM

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: T. D. on December 19, 2021, 09:19:48 AM

Porcupine: The Musical.

staxomega

Came across this when looking to see if they've released a recording of Rattle conducting Mahler's Symphony 8 yet.

"Sir Simon we'll need you to wear your ugliest ill fitting sweater. Perfect. No, don't bother adjusting the collar. Excellent, now let's send this photo off to the unpaid intern"