Author Topic: Worst looking CD/LP artwork  (Read 533992 times)

Offline Peter Power Pop

• Veteran member
    • Peter's Power Pop
Re: Worst looking CD/LP artwork
« Reply #3920 on: July 20, 2021, 07:42:25 PM »
Speaking of Regietheater, this (Blu-Ray DVD, apologies for off-topic) cover is merely silly-looking,

[snip]

Wonderfully silly.

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
« Reply #3921 on: July 20, 2021, 07:59:10 PM »
Speaking of Regietheater, this (Blu-Ray DVD, apologies for off-topic) cover is merely silly-looking,

but I found the 2019 Bayreuth Tannhäuser to be absolute dreck (and I'm generally sympathetic to avant-garde productions).
If you don't believe me, it's not hard to find online video: https://www.operaonvideo.com/tannhauser-bayreuth-2019-gould-davidsen-milling-eiche-gergiev/

It looks like Canio and Anna Nicole are escaping from the director of whatever this is in Arthur Weasley’s enchanted car. I assume Tannhäuser is playing on the radio. 😁

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #3922 on: August 12, 2021, 11:16:27 AM »
Groovy, baby.

Offline VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
  • Currently Listening to:
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #3923 on: August 12, 2021, 11:25:02 AM »
Groovy, baby.

Fun with Word Art, I guess.
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #3924 on: August 12, 2021, 07:46:38 PM »
Fun with Word Art, I guess.

I'm surprised anyone still has access to Word Art. The main computer system must have been down, but there was an old PC in the storeroom.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
« Reply #3925 on: September 02, 2021, 04:04:34 PM »

After a cursory glance at recordings available of Mauricio Kagel, I came across this. Perhaps a visual foretaste of his musical style? Color me doubly intrigued.

Weird choral music.
Color me intrigued!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 04:13:27 PM by VonStupp »

Offline T. D.

• Veteran member
« Reply #3926 on: September 02, 2021, 05:21:21 PM »

After a cursory glance at recordings available of Mauricio Kagel, I came across this. Perhaps a visual foretaste of his musical style? Color me doubly intrigued.

That is an ugly cover, and I think it's Kagel himself in the photo.
His music spans a wide spectrum from slightly quirky to extremely avant-garde/weird. Exotica is very much on the latter end of the spectrum.

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #3927 on: September 03, 2021, 03:46:05 AM »

When is that cover from?

Offline T. D.

• Veteran member
« Reply #3928 on: September 03, 2021, 05:44:32 AM »

• Veteran member
« Reply #3929 on: September 03, 2021, 05:52:57 AM »
https://www.discogs.com/Kagel-Exotica/release/934272

1972?
Is there some special cultural significance of his face painting?

PD

Offline T. D.

• Veteran member
« Reply #3930 on: September 03, 2021, 05:55:02 AM »
Not to be rude, but Google is a wonderful thing, much quicker than a bulletin board:

https://www.yellowbarn.org/page/mauricio-kagel-exotica

Scored for “non-European instruments”, Exotica was a commission for the 20th Olympic Games in Munich in 1972. The first performance took place under the direction of Mauricio Kagel himself, and the instrumentalists included such well-known new music personalities as Vinko Globokar, Siegfried Palm, Christoph Caskel, and Michel Portal. The six participants had to “manhandle” around 200 wind, string and percussion instruments wholly unknown in Europe. In Exotica, Kagel strove to question “the dominance of Western music or ‘culture’” and “go back to the primeval origins of music-making, when singing was still at one with making sound out of simple, everyday objects.”

• Veteran member
« Reply #3931 on: September 03, 2021, 08:24:55 AM »
Not to be rude, but Google is a wonderful thing, much quicker than a bulletin board:

Scored for “non-European instruments”, Exotica was a commission for the 20th Olympic Games in Munich in 1972. The first performance took place under the direction of Mauricio Kagel himself, and the instrumentalists included such well-known new music personalities as Vinko Globokar, Siegfried Palm, Christoph Caskel, and Michel Portal. The six participants had to “manhandle” around 200 wind, string and percussion instruments wholly unknown in Europe. In Exotica, Kagel strove to question “the dominance of Western music or ‘culture’” and “go back to the primeval origins of music-making, when singing was still at one with making sound out of simple, everyday objects.”
Interesting.  And thank you!

PD

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I'm not insensitive. I'm an INTJ/P.
    • Soundcloud
    I am revisiting my CD collection.
« Reply #3932 on: September 03, 2021, 09:36:42 AM »

That's like the less stylish parody version of The Prodigy's last album 'No Tourists'  ;D

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Jazzz"

Offline VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
« Reply #3933 on: September 03, 2021, 02:24:10 PM »
His music spans a wide spectrum from slightly quirky to extremely avant-garde/weird. Exotica is very much on the latter end of the spectrum.

Yes, I am finding that out with some samples I have found of Mauricio Kagel. I have a soft spot for performance art, Dadaism, absurdist tendencies, and their ilk, although those types of performances seem most effective live and in the moment. Recordings rarely capture the frisson of seeing the music in action.

Having performed some of Charles Ives songs, he often writes out eccentric visual instructions to ride along the music. So much is lost of the Ives experience only hearing them on record.

I know I will probably not even have a footnote when I shed my mortal coil, but what a great header to a brief musical biographical entry:

A composer whose assaultive music was categorized as “classical” because record stores didn’t know where else to put it, Kagel was an intellectual prankster and social provocateur on the grand, protean level of Marcel Duchamp—or Lenny Bruce. His specialty was a heady, unforgiving onslaught on audience expectations, the sort of theatrical meta-gesture that, for example, requires the conductor of an orchestral piece to feign a realistic fatal heart attack on stage.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 02:33:36 PM by VonStupp »

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #3934 on: September 03, 2021, 02:55:15 PM »
Is there some special cultural significance of his face painting?

PD

It appears to be Japanese style.

I’m not sure I get “questioning the dominance of Western culture” from a Western man painting himself as if he belongs to a different culture and then labelling it as exotic. That just tells me it’s the Western lens that still matters.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 02:58:08 PM by Madiel »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!