Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Also the stuff that he's dropping - are they cds? - look like they're part of the pattern of the sweater. At first I thought he just had his hands out in front of him like he was singing an aria.

edit: in fact, have the cds been awkwardly photoshopped in?

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: hvbias on December 23, 2021, 02:00:40 PM
Came across this when looking to see if they've released a recording of Rattle conducting Mahler's Symphony 8 yet.

"Sir Simon we'll need you to wear your ugliest ill fitting sweater. Perfect. No, don't bother adjusting the collar. Excellent, now let's send this photo off to the unpaid intern"

Fabulous.

T. D.

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 23, 2021, 02:04:22 PM
Also the stuff that he's dropping - are they cds? - look like they're part of the pattern of the sweater. At first I thought he just had his hands out in front of him like he was singing an aria.

edit: in fact, have the cds been awkwardly photoshopped in?

Gotta be photoshopped, or some type of post-processing. No doubt.

Madiel

Must have been taken on Christmas day. Obliged to wear the jumper having just received it from mother or aunt.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: hvbias on December 23, 2021, 02:00:40 PM
Came across this when looking to see if they've released a recording of Rattle conducting Mahler's Symphony 8 yet.

"Sir Simon we'll need you to wear your ugliest ill fitting sweater. Perfect. No, don't bother adjusting the collar. Excellent, now let's send this photo off to the unpaid intern"

Er, shall we say "Not a good look on him"?

And, yes I agree, the CDs were added in after the photo was taken.   ::)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on December 23, 2021, 03:41:38 PM
Must have been taken on Christmas day. Obliged to wear the jumper having just received it from mother or aunt.

And it has a crooked collar, on top of everything else.
The Aunt Who Couldn't Knit Straight

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Scion7

When great music is in the grip of the mentally disturbed marketing executive ...

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

SimonNZ

Google translate is telling me that "uitzendburo" means "temp agency"

Is it like " the music you heard on those tv temp agency advertisements"?

Scion7

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 07, 2022, 11:49:52 PM
Is it like " the music you heard on those tv temp agency advertisements"?

Promotional record handed out by Dactylo Uitzendbureau, a Dutch job agency ... may all involved endure the fires of Hell - or be forced to eat haggis.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Papy Oli

Quote from: Scion7 on January 08, 2022, 03:12:28 AM
Promotional record handed out by Dactylo Uitzendbureau, a Dutch job agency ... may all involved endure the fires of Hell - or be forced to eat haggis.

Wish I was involved  8)
Olivier

Rinaldo

The age old question "What would happen if Comic Sans went out with a death metal font"...

...finally answered.

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 31, 2021, 09:06:11 AMWe are talking Czech heavy metal / hard rock here. No I haven't listened to any of it. ::)

Hah, I certainly didn't expect to see my compatriots Citron ("Lemon") here... Not that they don't deserve it ;D Funny thing is, that other, much more atrocious cover was a photo by a famous Czech photographer Jan Saudek (or a plagiarism of his trademark style). I don't like the guy – he's quite the creep – nor his work but he used to be quite respected over here.

staxomega

I listened to this album this week, it looks like something from the 70s, hideous.

Jo498

It's a bit like the Vasarely cover of a late 1980s DG midprice series... I like covers that seem really typical of a period, regardless of how bizarre or ugly they look.

[asin]B000001GBI[/asin]
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Can't say that I mind either of them that much. For Mendelssohn, it speaks more of the era of the release. But for Ligeti it seems like a reasonably appropriate choice.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

It had nothing to do with that particular recording; the whole series or at least one batch had these covers that screamed computer graphics, MODERN DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY at you, like the silvery "3D Classics". There was a Philips series with a comparably silly "Tech" cover and Decca Ovation had the most ugly pixelated graphics for some of their covers although these weren't even digital recordings! ;)
Nevertheless, I have some fondness which is partly nostalgia because these were around shortly after I started buying CDs...

[asin]B00G2J0G8Y[/asin]

[asin]B008PXWON0[/asin]

[pictures appear at source after clicking on them, not sure why they are not shown in the post]
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Quote from: Jo498 on January 24, 2022, 02:39:29 AM
It had nothing to do with that particular recording; the whole series or at least one batch had these covers that screamed computer graphics, MODERN DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY at you, like the silvery "3D Classics".

Yes, I understood that. That's why I referred to the era of the release.

VonStupp

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 01, 2022, 05:02:17 PM
NP:

Martin
Le vin herbé
Sandrine Piau, Steve Davislim, Jutta Böhnert, et. al.
RIAS Chamber Choir
Scharoun-Ensemble
Reuss

Your current listening reminded me of this recording with a terrible cover. I am not sure if it is the text layout choice or the huge floating cup, but it always caught me as rather strange looking.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

JBS

I think it's the text: three different fonts, one of which is sized differently each of the four times it's used.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Agreed, there seems to be lot of text jostling with each other.

Mirror Image

Quote from: VonStupp on February 01, 2022, 05:42:30 PM
Your current listening reminded me of this recording with a terrible cover. I am not sure if it is the text layout choice or the huge floating cup, but it always caught me as rather strange looking.

VS

Awful cover, indeed. Yuck!