Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Reminds me of the recent (since the past 30 years or so) surge in appreciation of quinoa*. When the first Spaniards came back from America, they brought back tomatoes, cocoa, corn, pineapples, etc., but definitely not quinoa. Perhaps it's because it ain't really that good?  ;D

* The first time I ever heard quinoa mentioned was when it was served at Infanta Cristina's wedding in Barcelona in 1997. It was considered super innovative and cool at the time, and almost nobody knew what it was.

EDIT (TD):

I actually kinda like those 79s / 80s pop - psychedelic - naïf album covers, particularly the Bernstein / Stravinsky on Columbia (which seems inspired by  Le Douanier Rousseau, a connection I personally find quite fitting, as a Rousseau painting —La Charmeuse de serpents— adorned the cover of the Monteux recording  of Le Sacre with the Paris Conservatoire Orchestra on RCA that was in my parents' collection since before I was born  :)).

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on July 04, 2022, 09:55:13 AM
Reminds me of the recent (since the past 30 years or so) surge in appreciation of quinoa*. When the first Spaniards came back from America, they brought back tomatoes, cocoa, corn, pineapples, etc., but definitely not quinoa. Perhaps it's because it ain't really that good?  ;D

Never heard about it. What does it taste?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

DavidW

Quinoa became popular because it is gluten free, and gluten intolerance is better understood these days.  What does amuse me is that some people associate gluten free with health food... but no.  If you're fine with gluten, gluten free food doesn't really provide any tangible benefit except that it is more expensive.  Just my two cents.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on July 04, 2022, 10:04:44 AM
Like cardboard  :D.

A-ha! I bet 5 to 2 the UN will soon recommend it as "delicious, nutricious and environment-friendly"...  ;D

Give me a good old paella with seafood instead. And don't forget a Rioja dry red, please.  ;)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

Quote from: Todd on July 04, 2022, 09:49:09 AM
Two billion people eat insects and you can too
I am well aware that it is being pushed (by international organizations who for me lost the very little credit they had before in the last two years) since a few years. I am still not convinced that many cultures use insect as a main food source, especially if they can get something better.
Figure 2.1 in your link shows that both my statement that it is relatively rare because most of the world does not provide enough edible insects and that in a locally overcrowded world with over 2.5 billion already in China + India  + Indonesia (all regions with lotsa edible bugs according to that map) one can have 2 billion (occasional? I don't see how essential to their diets insects are claimed to be) entomophages.

Let'em eat bugs, I am not going to..
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

ritter

Quote from: Jo498 on July 04, 2022, 10:37:44 AM

I have once, in Mexico (and not from a street vendor, but in a rather fancy place): chapulines (grasshoppers) and, even more exotic, escamoles (ants' eggs). Been there, done that (and no desire to repeat the experience... ;)).

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on July 04, 2022, 10:37:44 AM

They also ate bats, until...  ;D

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on July 04, 2022, 10:43:34 AM
I have once, in Mexico (and not from a street vendor, but in a rather fancy place): chapulines (grasshoppers) and, even more exotic, escamoles (ants' eggs). Been there, done that (and no desire to repeat the experience... ;)).

Never been there, never done that, never going to, UN be damned --- they're useless anyway.

Todd

Quote from: Jo498 on July 04, 2022, 10:37:44 AMLet'em eat bugs, I am not going to..

Perhaps consider some scrumptious coconut worms.

Personally, I will limit my insect consumption to insects liquified as part of industrial food preparation processes and the occasional accidentally swallowed gnat.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on July 04, 2022, 10:53:42 AM
Perhaps consider some scrumptious coconut worms.

Let António Manuel de Oliveira Guterres GCC GCL eat them and only them for the remainder of his life.

Brian

Quote from: ritter on July 04, 2022, 10:43:34 AM
We get chapulines occasionally on restaurant menus here in Texas now. Escamoles are rarer but I've had them both here and in Mexico. Chapulines are perfectly fine - they're roasted and crunchy, like eating a bowl of salted nuts. Crush them up a little bit and they make a nice crunchy garnish to something like guacamole.

:)

Madiel

People eat what they can get. Several of you seem blissfully unaware that the whole issue is that what you can get is likely to change. And/or completely disinterested that in other parts of the world what people can get is already very different.

And no, I don't currently eat insects. But I also don't dismiss it out of hand.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Peter Power Pop

coffee

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 17, 2007, 11:31:25 AM
another contender ?

and the track listing contains Carmina Burana.... go figure  ;D

Browsing this thread has hurt my eyes but it is worth it for the pleasure I've gotten imagining what point in "the occasion" Carmina Burana is appropriate.

Liberty for the wolf is death for the lamb.

steve ridgway

Quote from: coffee on July 08, 2022, 07:42:47 AM
Browsing this thread has hurt my eyes but it is worth it for the pleasure I've gotten imagining what point in "the occasion" Carmina Burana is appropriate.

It's part of the build up that involves showing off and applying alluring aftershave. :-*

https://www.youtube.com/v/e_-C1RcBJxw

Jo498

The 3rd part of CB is openly about sex (and the other parts do also have some hints although not as explicit), that's probably why it's Latin... to get PG 13 when 17 would be appropriate ;)
Although one of the few parts clearly NOT about sex is the "O fortuna" chorus used in the ad :D
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

staxomega

Quote from: DizzyD on July 02, 2022, 05:31:29 AM
Don't know if this one has been mentioned. It just looks a little...off:

I saw this in the Dante Sonata thread, is Earl Wild ever not in a tuxedo? Well besides this one from Casual Fridays at Ivory Classics :laugh:

ritter

As mentioned by me in the opera thread:

Mamma mia!  ::)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Florestan on July 04, 2022, 10:01:22 AM
Never heard about it. What does it taste?

Quinoa is a small seed 'grain' (see beginning Wiki article below) developed by the Incas - can be used in a variety of dishes - Susan usually makes stuffed peppers (similar to the pic below) - other ingredients can be added and usually topped w/ melted cheese - quite tasty and healthy; can be part of a rice pilaf and mixed w/ 'wild rice'; also used in various pasta type salads - worth a try and does not taste like cardboard -  :laugh:  Dave

QuoteQuinoa from Quechua kinwa or kinuwa is a flowering plant in the amaranth family. It is a herbaceous annual plant grown as a crop primarily for its edible seeds; the seeds are rich in protein, dietary fiber, B vitamins, and dietary minerals in amounts greater than in many grains. Quinoa is not a grass, but rather a pseudocereal botanically related to spinach and amaranth, and originated in the Andean region of northwestern South America. It was first used to feed livestock 5,200–7,000 years ago, and for human consumption 3,000–4,000 years ago in the Lake Titicaca basin of Peru and Bolivia. Source