Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Quote from: pjme on November 15, 2022, 03:18:46 AM
Anyhow, over the years, poor RVW's craggy face hasn't been captured well....

The bottom was also used for the recordings of the Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Symphonies--or at least appears on the CD jackets of the new Decca Boult British Music set.  For the Seventh and Eighth this one was used. I submit that it's not really any better.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on November 15, 2022, 04:06:10 AM
The bottom was also used for the recordings of the Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Symphonies--or at least appears on the CD jackets of the new Decca Boult British Music set.  For the Seventh and Eighth this one was used. I submit that it's not really any better.

Yes, I guess that they were the original covers. I wish they's used the nice Decca Eclipse landscape images instead, but I guess they are after authenticity. I'm looking forward to receiving the Decca boxed set at Christmas:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

This is a famous old one straight from Monty Python's 'Life of Brian':
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Peter Power Pop

I don't know about you, but whenever I think of the music of Vivaldi I tend not to think of this:

SimonNZ

Album recorded while waiting ten hours at a West Bank checkpoint.

Madiel

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on November 20, 2022, 02:27:14 PM
I don't know about you, but whenever I think of the music of Vivaldi I tend not to think of this:

Actually Handel but your point still stands. There's not a lot of reason to associate that bus with Baroque concerti.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Madiel on November 20, 2022, 06:42:57 PM
Actually Handel but your point still stands. There's not a lot of reason to associate that bus with Baroque concerti.

Aaargh! I didn't even notice that it was Handel. I saw Il Giardino Armonico and immediately assumed it was a Vivaldi disc. Oops.

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on November 20, 2022, 06:42:57 PM

Pun on baroque/broke (bus)?

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: JBS on November 20, 2022, 07:07:32 PM
Pun on baroque/broke (bus)?

I think it's be more a case of "Hey, we're hip."

KevinP

Using Hovhaness' photo on the cover: dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Peter Power Pop

JBS

While most of them don't really belong in topic, VAN Magazine's Twitter account has been doing a thread on Winterreise cover art.
There are, among other things, lots of birds..
Starts here
https://twitter.com/vanmusicmag/status/1603730172322238464

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on December 16, 2022, 12:44:14 PMWhile most of them don't really belong in topic, VAN Magazine's Twitter account has been doing a thread on Winterreise cover art.
There are, among other things, lots of birds..
Starts here
https://twitter.com/vanmusicmag/status/1603730172322238464
I could see the use of birds for the cover--particularly crows.  Looking through the lyrics:

"I bruised myself on every stone,
so did I hurry out of the town.
The crows threw snowballs and hailstones
onto my hat from every roof.

How otherwise did you welcome me,
you town of inconstancy!
At your bright windows sang
the lark vying with the nightingale."

And...."I dreamed of bright flowers
such as blossom in May;
I dreamed of green meadows
and the calling of birds."

And: "when the cocks crew,
my eyes opened;
it was cold and dark,
on the roof the ravens croaked."

I could see also images of fields and hillsides in May/spring too.

Also:  "A crow was with me
coming out of town.
Back and forth till now it
has flown above my head.

Crow, curious creature,
will you not forsake me?
Have you prey in mind here soon,
when you seize my body?

Well, there is not far to go
for my stick and me.
Crow, let me at last behold
fidelity to the grave!"

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

geralmar

Disinterested looking firebird.

Madiel

Florestan

Beethoven was not a flesh-and-blood, limited and flawed human being like all of us --- oh, no, he was a (demi-)God set in stone, an Achilles of music --- and don't even bother to begin thinking that you can compose anything worth his left toe...

No, really, it's bullshit big time!...

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

That's a pretty strong reaction to a tightly cropped photo of a tarnished statue.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

MN Dave

"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer