Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: KevinP on April 20, 2023, 11:39:26 PM

Wilson brought elegance to everything she did.

The plastic patio chair did not.

At the time, a plastic chair of that type was probably ultra-modern. We might think of this as cheap tacky furniture now, but the first all-plastic chair was designed in 1965 and they didn't become common until the 1980s (noting it's unclear whether the base of that chair is plastic).

So I rather doubt that the audience when this album was released in 1966 had a reaction like yours. They probably thought the chair was just as elegant as the person sitting in it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

KevinP

Oh, I know. It just doesn't work today.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: KevinP on April 15, 2023, 02:34:34 PMThe usual disclaimer here. It's hardly the worst, but...

Why does this cover look bad to some people, or everybody except for me??

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Madiel on April 21, 2023, 04:28:18 AMAt the time, a plastic chair of that type was probably ultra-modern. We might think of this as cheap tacky furniture now, but the first all-plastic chair was designed in 1965 and they didn't become common until the 1980s (noting it's unclear whether the base of that chair is plastic).

So I rather doubt that the audience when this album was released in 1966 had a reaction like yours. They probably thought the chair was just as elegant as the person sitting in it.
Quote from: KevinP on April 20, 2023, 11:39:26 PM

Wilson brought elegance to everything she did.

The plastic patio chair did not.
Quote from: KevinP on April 21, 2023, 12:57:43 PMOh, I know. It just doesn't work today.
Taking a quick look on eBay (re price of this album used), I suspect that the chair (now retro/vintage) would probably fetch more money than the LP.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 21, 2023, 01:03:05 PMWhy does this cover look bad to somebody, or everybody except for me??
I like it--particularly appreciate it more after watching her dance.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 21, 2023, 01:03:05 PMWhy does this cover look bad to some people, or everybody except for me??

Not bad to me.  But I've never seen anyone dance to Biber's Mystery Sonatas before. :D

JBS

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 21, 2023, 01:03:05 PMWhy does this cover look bad to some people, or everybody except for me??

I find it odd, rather than bad.
But it's a bit like the Levin/Egarr/AAM cover I questioned not long ago in the Purchases Thread--it has no instantly discernible connection to the CD's contents, but there was in fact a logical connection, and once explained it becomes much more acceptable.

[Re the Levin/Egarr/AAM CD: Levin's Mozart concerto cycle started off with Klee paintings as cover art until Decca intervened. So now that he's finally finished the cycle, Levin chose to revert to Klee for the cover art.]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

KevinP

As the one who brought it back into the discussion, I will agree with the above two responses. On its own, it's not a bad picture at all. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I like it. It's just a very odd juxtaposition with Biber's Rosary sonatas.

Of course you could argue that after 216 pages of a 16 year-old thread, we should be used to that by now.

Madiel

Quote from: KevinP on April 22, 2023, 04:32:32 PMAs the one who brought it back into the discussion, I will agree with the above two responses. On its own, it's not a bad picture at all. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I like it. It's just a very odd juxtaposition with Biber's Rosary sonatas.

Of course you could argue that after 216 pages of a 16 year-old thread, we should be used to that by now.

It's not an odd juxtaposition when that is what she is actually dancing to.

You might think it's odd to dance to those sonatas, but that's not the fault of the image.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

pjme

Ok - let's introduce Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker again and her company Rosas.

It will become quickly clear that De Keersmaeker has an outspoken (good) taste in music: Bach, Mozart, Bartok, Reich, Beethoven, Schönberg...Biber, Eno, Grisey.
Dont expect narrative ballets or ballerina's in tutu and point shoes.
De Keersmaeker had and has a huge influence on contemporary dance - at least in Europe.

Personally, I don't like repetive/minimal music at all, so a lot of her choreographies I find (very) boring. But she definitely is a hugely respected artist. I think that some will classify most of her work as Euro trash???? Or am I mistaken?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Teresa_De_Keersmaeker

Peter Power Pop

The looks on both of those guys' faces unsettle me in a major way. I guess the photographer wasn't asking for "natural".

DavidW

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on April 28, 2023, 12:28:07 AMThe looks on both of those guys' faces unsettle me in a major way. I guess the photographer wasn't asking for "natural".

They're five seconds away from doing this--

Peter Power Pop

The more I look at the photo, the more I'm getting "Kraftwerk in Tuxedos" vibes from it.

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on April 28, 2023, 12:28:07 AMThe looks on both of those guys' faces unsettle me in a major way. I guess the photographer wasn't asking for "natural".

Wanderer

Strong "we hid the body inside the cello" vibes with this one.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Wanderer on April 28, 2023, 10:10:07 PMStrong "we hid the body inside the cello" vibes with this one.

Ha!

Madiel

He was asking for Madame Tussaud.

T. D.

Yosuke Yamashita Trio and others, Arashi (1977)
Actually an accurate cover: the music is extremely gnarly Japanese free jazz performed live with Butoh dancers, one of whom is pictured.

But it sure looks ghastly.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: T. D. on April 30, 2023, 05:06:53 PM

Yosuke Yamashita Trio and others, Arashi (1977)
Actually an accurate cover: the music is extremely gnarly Japanese free jazz performed live with Butoh dancers, one of whom is pictured.

But it sure looks ghastly.

Yep. Nightmare fuel.

geralmar

Maybe it's just me.

CD

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: geralmar on April 30, 2023, 07:08:09 PMMaybe it's just me.

CD

I like how the crab monster has teeth.