Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franco_Manitobain

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Florestan on May 11, 2023, 06:35:24 AMActually, it's a subtle reference to Magritte. This is not a horse. The real one is dead. Requiem eternam dona eis domine et lux perpetua luceat eis (and indeed, the horse which is not a horse is in a typically equine resting position and there's shining light behind the horse which is not a horse). ;D

Hehe.

Peter Power Pop

Graphic Designer 1: "Hey, I've got this photo of the artist, but it's not very interesting. What can we do with it?"
Graphic Designer 2: "Let's tilt it. It'll look arty."
Graphic Designer 1: "Of course!"

JBS

No ugly per se but...
If you don't know who they are, would you know who the composer is and who the conductor is?

Mind you this is Puerto Rico's leading composer....

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

DavidW

Quote from: JBS on May 15, 2023, 03:45:14 PM

No ugly per se but...
If you don't know who they are, would you know who the composer is and who the conductor is?

I don't know either so I'll take a guess without searching!  Roberto Sierra is the composer because his name is associated with the orchestral pieces.  Domingo Hindoyan is the conductor because his name is immediately followed by the orchestra.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: JBS on May 15, 2023, 03:45:14 PM

Not ugly per se but...

I'm getting definite Karajan vibes from that cover (i.e., where the record company seeks to make the conductor far more important than the composer).

Florestan

Quote from: DavidW on May 15, 2023, 05:32:14 PMI don't know either so I'll take a guess without searching!  Roberto Sierra is the composer because his name is associated with the orchestral pieces.  Domingo Hindoyan is the conductor because his name is immediately followed by the orchestra.

That's my reasoning as well.

And the guy on the cover must be Hindoyan because he looks too young to have already written six symphonies.  ;)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on May 15, 2023, 07:21:50 PMI'm getting definite Karajan vibes from that cover (i.e., where the record company seeks to make the conductor far more important than the composer).

In a way, this is genuinely the case especially with lesser-known composers: their music may or may not be recorded, but if recorded, the conductor is of paramount importance as he can make a strong case for the music or he can sink it even deeper into obscurity.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

pjme

With a baton in hand the portrait is already more convincing.

Mr. Sierra, the symphonist - who, in my opinion, should have had prime attention.

T. D.

Peter Power Pop

DavidW

I think I would have to know the context before declaring it bad.  This thread started with truly hilariously awful covers but now it has devolved into posters they either posters don't personally care for or just don't understand.  But neither makes the covers truly bad.  Just imo.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: T. D. on May 28, 2023, 04:22:33 PM

What is exactly on this album and what do the words mean?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DaveF

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 29, 2023, 09:59:34 AMWhat is exactly on this album and what do the words mean?

PD

Korrosion is (apparently) a German heavy metal band; Scheisse may or may not be descriptive of their music - haven't heard any, so prepared to give them the benefit for the moment.

And how about this? - OK, it's a book cover rather than a CD, but spectacularly terrible, I thought.

"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

T. D.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 29, 2023, 09:59:34 AMWhat is exactly on this album and what do the words mean?

PD
It's an (apparently untitled) album by 2 German punk bands, Korrosion and Scheisse. About half the tracks by each band.
The band names translate as Corrosion and Shit.
It's on the bandcamp site, where you can listen to the entire recording.

https://scheiss.bandcamp.com/album/split-w-korrosion
https://korrosion.bandcamp.com/album/split-with-scheisse

They seem to call the album either "Split with Korrosion" or "Split with Scheisse", depending on the band posting.

Combination of human meat-grinder motif and Shit moves the cover solidly into ugly territory IMO.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: DaveF on May 29, 2023, 11:56:04 AMKorrosion is (apparently) a German heavy metal band; Scheisse may or may not be descriptive of their music - haven't heard any, so prepared to give them the benefit for the moment.

And how about this? - OK, it's a book cover rather than a CD, but spectacularly terrible, I thought.

Oh, that's horrid.

It reminds me of this CD cover:

And even worse:

And:

Peter Power Pop

JBS

Quote from: DaveF on May 29, 2023, 11:56:04 AMKorrosion is (apparently) a German heavy metal band; Scheisse may or may not be descriptive of their music - haven't heard any, so prepared to give them the benefit for the moment.

I rather like that book cover, as long as I bear in mind that it had no resemblance at all to Britten.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Jo498

I have never heard of these bands (and would probably dislike the music) but I think the cover is quite good.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: T. D. on May 29, 2023, 03:22:51 PMIt's an (apparently untitled) album by 2 German punk bands, Korrosion and Scheisse. About half the tracks by each band.
The band names translate as Corrosion and Shit.
It's on the bandcamp site, where you can listen to the entire recording.

https://scheiss.bandcamp.com/album/split-w-korrosion
https://korrosion.bandcamp.com/album/split-with-scheisse

They seem to call the album either "Split with Korrosion" or "Split with Scheisse", depending on the band posting.

Combination of human meat-grinder motif and Shit moves the cover solidly into ugly territory IMO.
I had thought that this area of the forum was strictly for classical music discussion so was trying [hard] to keep an open mind as to what the cover artwork might be about. And yes, like you...not my cuppa tea--so to speak.  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter