Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 17, 2023, 07:50:40 AMAh, thanks.  I saw the "Prince of Denmark Airforce Band" and so was thinking that the photo/location was in Denmark for some reason or another.  :)
I suspect that the moving of the trombone around is perhaps trying to imitate a motorbike traveling along a windy road and also maybe the leaning/movement of the cyclist?  I just watched a couple of minutes of it though.

PD

That's why I had to turn it off. It was making me dizzy.

Meanwhile, here [courtesy of Dry Brett in the Listening thread], is some excellent artwork ruined by titles in a font that clashes rather severely with it.  Proof that even the Golden Age of LPs could produce bad design choices

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Peter Power Pop

Um...

What Robert Simpson actually looked like:

DavidW

That acrylic portrait is part of the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic art collection.  It was completed by Anthony Michael Dorrell.  It might not be the Mona Lisa, but it was auctioned off for a hundred pounds.

Source

It is art, not a photograph.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on June 18, 2023, 08:09:28 AMThat acrylic portrait is part of the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic art collection.  It was completed by Anthony Michael Dorrell.  It might not be the Mona Lisa, but it was auctioned off for a hundred pounds.

Source

It is art, not a photograph.
I wonder why they sold it?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

pjme

Quote from: DavidW on June 18, 2023, 08:09:28 AMIt is art, not a photograph.
But allow me to say that it isn't very good.... >:D

and that is why they sold it....

aukhawk

Quote from: Brian on June 17, 2023, 07:32:21 AMLindberg is astonishing as a trombonist, and he really is amazing playing that bizarre/awful motorbike piece... about which my biggest complaint, by the way, is why does he have to point the trombone around at different people like it's a rifle?

I think playing the trombone is a bit like riding a penny-farthing - it's not for shy retiring types or shrinking violets.

LKB

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 12, 2023, 06:21:55 PMI now have the urge to shout "Cachao!" with jazz hands.

For a second l thought he had grabbed his own butt for the photo. That would certainly merit a " Cachao! " in my book.  ;D
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

DavidW

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 06, 2023, 12:06:01 AM

When you're so rich that even your plants receive their own concerts...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on June 25, 2023, 07:27:45 AMWhen you're so rich that even your plants receive their own concerts...
I'm curious as to which actual pieces of music are being played on this album?

PD

p.s.  I'd expect all of that CO2 that they are expelling whilst playing is good for them!  The plants I mean.
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Quote from: DavidW on June 25, 2023, 07:27:45 AMWhen you're so rich that even your plants receive their own concerts...

To leave your friends or foes green with envy  ;D
Olivier

Wendell_E

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 25, 2023, 08:11:39 AMI'm curious as to which actual pieces of music are being played on this album?

PD

From Discogs:

Various – Music For Your Plants
Label:   Carmel Records – 1001
Format:   Vinyl, LP
Released:   1975

Vivaldi*–   The Four Seasons, "Spring"
Mozart*–   Clarinet Concerto, Second Movement
Beethoven*–   Symphony No. 6, First Movement
Mendelssohn*–   Midsummer Night's Dream, "Scherzo"
Tchaikovsky*–   Nutcracker Suite, "Waltz Of The Flowers"
Grieg*–   Concerto In A Minor, Op. 16, Second Movement

https://www.discogs.com/release/1474386-Various-Music-For-Your-Plants
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Madiel

Quote from: Wendell_E on June 26, 2023, 01:03:38 AMFrom Discogs:

Various – Music For Your Plants
Label:   Carmel Records – 1001
Format:   Vinyl, LP
Released:   1975

Vivaldi*–   The Four Seasons, "Spring"
Mozart*–   Clarinet Concerto, Second Movement
Beethoven*–   Symphony No. 6, First Movement
Mendelssohn*–   Midsummer Night's Dream, "Scherzo"
Tchaikovsky*–   Nutcracker Suite, "Waltz Of The Flowers"
Grieg*–   Concerto In A Minor, Op. 16, Second Movement

https://www.discogs.com/release/1474386-Various-Music-For-Your-Plants

So it really is a kind of literal notion of: we think your plants will like this.

I'm guessing this was released at one of those times when popular/populist science said that plants would respond to music.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on June 26, 2023, 01:29:03 AMSo it really is a kind of literal notion of: we think your plants will like this.

I'm guessing this was released at one of those times when popular/populist science said that plants would respond to music.

A vocal sequel could have been released too: the Flowers Duet from Lakme, La fleur que tu m'avais jete from Carmen, Rachmaninoff's Lilacs, Schumann's Du bist wie eine Blume, Faure's Roses d'Ispahan and, to end with a touch of crossover, The Last Rose of Summer;D
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on June 26, 2023, 01:34:46 AMA vocal sequel could have been released too: the Flowers Duet from Lakme, La fleur que tu m'avais jete from Carmen, Rachmaninoff's Lilacs, Schumann's Du bist wie eine Blume, Faure's Roses d'Ispahan and, to end with a touch of crossover, The Last Rose of Summer;D

I fear, though, you're missing the key point of the repertoire choice: it's all distinctly safe and designed to appeal to the very casual classical listener who is only buying this because they were told it was good for their African violets.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on June 26, 2023, 01:38:19 AMI fear, though, you're missing the key point of the repertoire choice: it's all distinctly safe and designed to appeal to the very casual classical listener who is only buying this because they were told it was good for their African violets.

Yes, my repertoire is decidedly risqué in the context.  :D
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

pjme

Quote from: Florestan on June 26, 2023, 01:51:31 AMYes, my repertoire is decidedly risqué in the context.  :D
OMG, you're right - the Flower duet definitely makes for highly eroticized LP cover design! ;)

DavidW

Quote from: Madiel on June 26, 2023, 01:29:03 AMSo it really is a kind of literal notion of: we think your plants will like this.

Do you remember Mozart for babies?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on June 26, 2023, 06:44:01 AMDo you remember Mozart for babies?

I remember that one!  Or at least hearing about it as I didn't purchase it.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

Quote from: DavidW on June 26, 2023, 06:44:01 AMDo you remember Mozart for babies?

Yes, I had that in mind. Many, many albums issued.