Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Brian on February 29, 2024, 02:28:15 PMImagine if they had simply moved the text to the bottom left corner.

That would be sensible. But sometimes record companies don't do sensible.

Iota

Quote from: Brian on February 29, 2024, 02:28:15 PMImagine if they had simply moved the text to the bottom left corner.

An excellent suggestion. And I don't know the works, but I guess the cover would also gain further credibility if they were all from the 'twilight' of his career, or perhaps just dark in character.

JBS

Quote from: DavidW on February 29, 2024, 08:36:30 AMIt seems like you are all saying that the problem with that Unrecorded cover is that you're fat-phobic.
My problem with it is not the person but the implied activity:
Hiking barefoot through the woods *with a violin over one's shoulder*.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

71 dB

Quote from: JBS on March 01, 2024, 04:54:37 AMMy problem with it is not the person but the implied activity:
Hiking barefoot through the woods *with a violin over one's shoulder*.

My problem is the dress which screams its bright red colour against the muted green/grey colours of nature. The dress should have been white. That said, I agree the activity is not something you want to do with an expensive quality violin (maybe they used a $100 crap violin in the photoshoot?)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Madiel

Quote from: DavidW on February 29, 2024, 08:36:30 AMIt seems like you are all saying that the problem with that Unrecorded cover is that you're fat-phobic.

My first problem is that the title is a lie.

Then there's the unnecessary full stop, and only after that can we move onto the imagery.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SimonNZ

T. D.

Not just ugly, but it also screams Low Budget!

And it's no surprise that the tray card has a gaffe (Julian Priester is a trombonist)  ::) Plus, why bother to include timings?

Daverz

Quote from: T. D. on March 11, 2024, 06:09:14 PMNot just ugly, but it also screams Low Budget!

And it's no surprise that the tray card has a gaffe (Julian Priester is a trombonist)  ::) Plus, why bother to include timings?

The first Art Blakey CD I bought.  I'd heard about a famous Art Blakey album titled "Moanin'", and I thought this was it.  Well, it was cheap.  And it's a good set!

T. D.

I just bought it. :P  Got the original Moanin' many years ago, have enough hard bop in the collection that I don't buy Blakey reissues, but tenor player Billy Harper has an enthusiastic following (including me), and a cheap Japanese edition recently came out. Weird about the duplication of titles, makes it hard to find at discogs and elsewhere.

Jo498

I recall that in the 80s or maybe even more in the early 90s there were lots of (cheap but not always cheap enough!), pirated or semi-pirated (because they were quite common, so apparently it was not easy to legally impede the practice) of jazz and also 1960s pop/rock/folk etc. CDs around.
They often had similar covers, or sometimes bad photographs, I recall that I had two discs with Joan Baez and one with Simon & Garfunkel that were simply transferred from LP (not very well and sometimes with clearly audible pops, clicks, distortion). I guess the jazz issues were often a bit better as they were from rare live recordings or the 1950s sound was so mediocre that it didn't matter much.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

pjme

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 11, 2024, 05:44:08 PM

Not a bad painting at all ! >:D . And I discovered an interesting artist, Stuart Pearson Wright.
Almost grotesque, cartoonesque,  Spitting image  :)  ...Lucian Freud, even..... (cfr. Otto Dix, Georg Grosz et.al.) - OK.

https://www.stuartpearsonwright.com/about
https://www.stuartpearsonwright.com/news/stuarts-artwork-used-new-album-cover
https://www.pentatonemusic.com/designing-albums-classical-label/

Madiel

Quote from: Jo498 on March 12, 2024, 02:33:17 AMI recall that in the 80s or maybe even more in the early 90s there were lots of (cheap but not always cheap enough!), pirated or semi-pirated (because they were quite common, so apparently it was not easy to legally impede the practice) of jazz and also 1960s pop/rock/folk etc. CDs around.
They often had similar covers, or sometimes bad photographs, I recall that I had two discs with Joan Baez and one with Simon & Garfunkel that were simply transferred from LP (not very well and sometimes with clearly audible pops, clicks, distortion). I guess the jazz issues were often a bit better as they were from rare live recordings or the 1950s sound was so mediocre that it didn't matter much.

There were some legal loopholes around that time when it came to live recordings in particular. There were things being issued in Australia (regardless of the original performance location) because there was no law against it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Iota

Quote from: Florestan on February 29, 2024, 12:19:37 AM.

Re the above, can't say I have strong feelings either way about it, though veer towards liking it. It's got a certain playful appeal and seems to align with the album content in a "let's go exploring some unfamiliar territory with my fiddle" kind of way.

Peter Power Pop

Graphic Designer: "Hey, guys, I bought a new typeface and want to use it on that Bruckner record."

Record Company Executive: "Go right ahead. We trust you."

Madiel

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 12, 2024, 05:09:29 PMGraphic Designer: "Hey, guys, I bought a new typeface and want to use it on that Bruckner record."

:laugh:

But what other font could you possibly use for saying "New Finale!" in the corner.

Peter Power Pop

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 12, 2024, 05:09:29 PMGraphic Designer: "Hey, guys, I bought a new typeface and want to use it on that Bruckner record."

Quote from: Madiel on March 12, 2024, 05:11:02 PM:laugh:

But what other font could you possibly use for saying "New Finale!" in the corner.

I also like the confident use of asterisks on the cover.

T. D.

<snip>

I also saw that on the "...Listening..." thread and considered it a natural for here. :laugh:

T. D.

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 12, 2024, 05:13:06 PMSomebody okayed that?

Grotesque and incomprehensible. But on the positive side, I commend Ad├Ęs and (especially) Bostridge for their lack of vanity. ;)

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: T. D. on March 12, 2024, 07:16:14 PMI also saw that on the "...Listening..." thread and considered it a natural for here. :laugh:

That's where I first saw it, too. (Here.)