Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinP

Quote from: AnotherSpin on July 01, 2024, 09:22:16 PMHe looks like Frank Zappa after a haircut.

That thought occurred to me too.

This one was first though:

An interesting juxtaposition.

T. D.

This is ugly (non-flattering portrayal of the leader), but posting mainly due to sheer weirdness:

Actually a fine album...Nate Morgan was a pianist who played a lot like McCoy Tyner and was in the LA / Horace Tapscott (Arkestra, UGMAA, etc) scene.

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

71 dB

Quote from: KevinP on July 01, 2024, 04:14:26 AMFor all I know, a fine album, but the cover doesn't exactly shout, 'Bartok!'

My lacklustre  :-[  effort of trying to re-design the cover art to be more "Bartókian."

Bartok.jpg

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

ritter

Todd

I can only quote Conrad (and Brando): The horror!  The horror!
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

71 dB

Quote from: Todd on July 04, 2024, 06:55:07 AM

I can only quote Conrad (and Brando): The horror!  The horror!

The designer of that cover art has boldly gone where no man (or woman) has gone before!  :o

NumberSix

Quote from: Jo498 on June 23, 2024, 11:30:30 PMIn the 1980, the earlyish days of computer graphics, pixellation was a way to be modern and "digital". Some of these covers were so cheesy that they were almost good and in any case it was excuseable at that time. But this doesn't apply to the Hartmann/Metzmacher covers...

I don't know, I kind of like this one. It's very much of its time, and that retro aspect appeals to me.

Jo498

I also like it (or at least certainly don't think it's among the worst). I meant it as contrast to the Metzmacher covers, how one can use pixellation for a convincing graphical effect.
However, they did a few in that same Decca Ovation series where the pixellation looks quite ugly, unless I feel really strong 1980s nostalgia. :D
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: 71 dB on July 02, 2024, 07:31:49 AMMy lacklustre  :-[  effort of trying to re-design the cover art to be more "Bartókian."

Bartok.jpg

A splendid effort.

71 dB

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on July 04, 2024, 02:54:43 PMA splendid effort.

Thank you!  :)

The thing that worked best was separating the texts. I did the separation to the Red, Green and Blue colour layers separately and it worked. I tried to use the colours and styles of the original cover as much as possible while making Bartók more present. The worst aspect of my alternative cover art is imo the composition which is a bit clumsy. I had to reduce the colour saturation of Robert Hagopian's photo in order to make it work better with the colder colour tones of the green/lime. I don't think my version is actually better than the original, but Bartók is more present which was the complaint...

pjme

Indeed, well done Poju.
Anyway, I prefer cd (LP) covers that focus on the composer(s).
Hagopian who apparently was heading for an international career, died all to young of AIDS. His biography (including the Alice Neel portrait) would make for an interesting if sad addition on a commemorative cd....