Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Madiel on November 15, 2020, 04:33:01 PM
It's probably not a terribly familiar concept in Norway, whereas Norwegian has the letter Å so writing the name Martinů would not seem that strange.
One of my few frustrations with Macs; I can't type that accent circle for the u.  These are my options:  û, ü, ù, ú, ū   :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Jo498

Are those periods instead of commas or spaces also a Norwegian speciality?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Quote from: Jo498 on November 16, 2020, 07:15:09 AM
Are those periods instead of commas or spaces also a Norwegian speciality?

Not that I'm aware of. But how many album covers do you see using commas?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

71 dB

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 16, 2020, 06:24:57 AM
One of my few frustrations with Macs; I can't type that accent circle for the u.  These are my options:  û, ü, ù, ú, ū   :(

PD

Edit - Special Character - u

Gives TONS of u variations including ů.

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: 71 dB on November 16, 2020, 11:55:17 AM
Edit - Special Character - u

Gives TONS of u variations including ů.

Thanks!
Pohjolas Daughter

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

ritter

Quote from: Madiel on November 16, 2020, 11:41:30 AM
Not that I'm aware of. But how many album covers do you see using commas?
Well, there's this jewel, which regularly pops up in this thread:

Jo498

Is "&," a variant of the Oxford comma? It also looks ridiculous... I understand that one tends to avoid commas. Instead of spaces I have seen dots placed roughly where the upper dot of a colon would be as dividers. I had not realized that they were that frequent and don't know if there is a typographic term for them but it looks much better than the Simax cover.

[asin]B000E0LBAE[/asin] [asin]B07DR2DLCV[/asin]
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Wendell_E

Quote from: Jo498 on November 16, 2020, 11:18:30 PM
Is "&," a variant of the Oxford comma? It also looks ridiculous... I understand that one tends to avoid commas. Instead of spaces I have seen dots placed roughly where the upper dot of a colon would be as dividers. I had not realized that they were that frequent and don't know if there is a typographic term for them but it looks much better than the Simax cover.

The typographic term is "bullet" or "bullet point".
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 17, 2020, 03:40:29 AM
What's is the OPTION key?

Hi premont,

On your Mac keyboard, it's on the bottom row and is two to the left of the spacebar (between the control and the command keys).  So, for example, if you simultaneously hit the option and the o key you get this:  ø or if you simultaneously do the shift and option keys (easiest with your left hand) and o (with your right hand), you get this: Ø

PD

p.s. Some time ago, I experimented with adding other language keyboards onto my Mac:  useful, but makes for very slow typing as now some of the keys are in different places.
Pohjolas Daughter

prémont

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 17, 2020, 03:49:32 AM
Hi premont,

On your Mac keyboard, it's on the bottom row and is two to the left of the spacebar (between the control and the command keys).  So, for example, if you simultaneously hit the option and the o key you get this:  ø or if you simultaneously do the shift and option keys (easiest with your left hand) and o (with your right hand), you get this:

Thanks,  BTW I do not use Mac but PC. And it seems as if there is no option key on my keyboard, label Advent.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 17, 2020, 04:23:47 AM
Thanks,  BTW I do not use Mac but PC. And it seems as if there is no option key on my keyboard, label Advent.
Ah, the link brought me to Mac instructions, so I wrongly assumed that that was what you had.  If you scroll up on that original link, you will see instructions for Windows (top right) that you can click on.  Hope that this helps!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 17, 2020, 04:23:47 AM

On a PC keyboard there is Alt Gr immediately to the right of the space bar. This gives you 'third choice' options on a key - some of these are displayed on the key. My keyboard only has € (euro) visible(ie. marked on the '4' key) but others show up when Alt Gr is pressed - eg. é, á . As far as I can tell there is no way of finding out other than by trial and error.

If I can bothered I cut and paste from  a document I have saved with foreign words in it that I prepared with Office.

prémont

Thanks PD and Biffo for your help, it seems as if the options can be found.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Wendell_E

Quote from: Biffo on November 17, 2020, 05:39:01 AM
On a PC keyboard there is Alt Gr immediately to the right of the space bar. This gives you 'third choice' options on a key - some of these are displayed on the key. My keyboard only has € (euro) visible(ie. marked on the '4' key) but others show up when Alt Gr is pressed - eg. é, á . As far as I can tell there is no way of finding out other than by trial and error.

If I can bothered I cut and paste from  a document I have saved with foreign words in it that I prepared with Office.

There's also Windows Character Map. You can choose Character Set: Windows Western for diacriticals in Western European languages, but use Character Set: Unicode for more options (ů, ő, č, etc. as well as characters from other alphabets).
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Biffo

Quote from: Wendell_E on November 18, 2020, 02:24:32 AM
There's also Windows Character Map. You can choose Character Set: Windows Western for diacriticals in Western European languages, but use Character Set: Unicode for more options (ů, ő, č, etc. as well as characters from other alphabets).

Thanks for the info, will have to explore the options a bit more.

Wendell_E

Quote from: Biffo on November 18, 2020, 03:00:21 AM
Thanks for the info, will have to explore the options a bit more.

Here's another option: If I'm feeling really lazy, I'll just google "Dvorak", then copy and paste "Antonín Dvořák" from the results page.  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Wendell_E on November 19, 2020, 03:00:45 AM
Here's another option: If I'm feeling really lazy, I'll just google "Dvorak", then copy and paste "Antonín Dvořák" from the results page.  :)
I've done that one before too--good suggestion!  I like the idea of having a text/word document with often used words, phrases or names in other languages.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter