Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

She played piano on the last few John Coltrane albums. I believe, though I've only heard about a quarter of her solo work, that she performed almost exclusively her own compositions, also playing harp.

T. D.

She started off as a pianist and later took up the harp and organ.

Allmusic is often a good source for pop and jazz: https://www.allmusic.com/artist/alice-coltrane-mn0000006143/biography

For more of a focus on her "spiritual" work: https://www.alicecoltrane.com/

I've heard her recordings with John, a decent chunk of her "major label" releases, and this reissue of self-produced "ashram" music: https://www.alicecoltrane.com/world-spiritual-classics-1

Peter Power Pop

Here's the full album:

https://youtu.be/RzuyR6GeXRg

Quote from: T. D. on December 08, 2020, 01:35:22 PM

This is a jazz album I enjoy listening to and consider excellent, but the fugly cover art makes me avert my eyes.

Pohjolas Daughter

Thank you for the info gents!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

geralmar

pjme

Irons

Similar to first -

and third -

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Jo498

#3656 is quite cheesy and the one with the boots very strange (I probably don't get the joke?) but the other ones seem "classic" (mostly 1950s?) covers, maybe not the most beautiful but certainly remarkable; I don't really understand how they should be among the worst.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Similarly, the flowers/boots one was the only one I really reacted to in that selection.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

pjme

Quote from: Jo498 on January 04, 2021, 01:03:18 AM
#3656 is quite cheesy and the one with the boots very strange (I probably don't get the joke?) but the other ones seem "classic" (mostly 1950s?) covers, maybe not the most beautiful but certainly remarkable; I don't really understand how they should be among the worst.

Yet another case of "des goûts et des couleurs"...I fear. But first of all, let's not be too serious about LP/CD covers.
The young people I know go crazy over (imho cheap & ugly) 1950-1960- ies furniture and lamps. Personally, I don't give much (= I hate) for formica, lava lamps, skai and what we call in Belgium "the Expo 1958 -style": asymmetry, twisted rebars, slanting table legs, flag stone/ marble/travertine floors and table tops...orange plastic.
The Lp covers I find brute, rough, garish & gaudy. And rather fun.

steve ridgway

Quote from: pjme on January 04, 2021, 03:58:37 AM

Oh that's nice! I went up that Atomium on a school trip years ago. It reminds me of the days when we used to believe in progress, discovery, optimism. :(

T. D.

Quote from: steve ridgway on January 04, 2021, 07:38:57 AM
Oh that's nice! I went up that Atomium on a school trip years ago. It reminds me of the days when we used to believe in progress, discovery, optimism. :(

I wouldn't hang that on the wall as a poster, but think it's fine as an album cover / historical document. As noted above, the underlying (perhaps kitschy) '50s aesthetic is highly popular in many circles, though I'm mostly indifferent.

Brian

Quote from: geralmar on January 02, 2021, 07:32:59 PM
It looks like he's standing at a urinal.  (Sorry).
With his hands in his pockets?? Brave man!

Artem

I love this disk, but the footwear bothers me. I think the cover would have been better without that Japanese touch. Or maybe it's the 90s and the times required such a cultural association on the cd cover. I dunno.

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

geralmar

Jo498

Maybe they used the same pictures in commercials for that chair?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

Quote from: geralmar on January 05, 2021, 11:42:31 PM

I wouldn't call these worst looking (ugly), but they are certainly bizarre. "Derek Bell plays with himself" sounds naughty.  :-[
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

pjme

Great choices, indeed.
Raymond Devos was a very famous Belgo-French comedian, "cabaretier" - not yet forgotten.
Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Devos

he played several instruments.