Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

(I freely admit that the repertoire on that CD is as appealing as the cover.  ;D)

But design-wise, it's quite well-done.  Meyer's knees, the lines on the pool floor and the reflections above all converge in a big "X" in the center.  Actually quite a fine photograph, just on its own.

--Bruce

BorisG

Apex, Arte Nova, Testament are consistently bad.

MishaK

Quote from: BorisG on January 25, 2008, 12:59:36 PM

What's wrong with the historic photos on Testament covers?

Don

I agree about Testament, but Arte Nova covers are now quite attractive.  The cover below is just one example of many dozens.  Concerning Testament, I find their covers washed-out and have the look of "cheap" all over them.  Apex covers are okay.

Brian

What! I love the Arte Nova covers.

They're just beautiful!

Novi

Quote from: Brian on January 25, 2008, 01:56:33 PM
What! I love the Arte Nova covers.
They're just beautiful!

Yep, me too

I like this one:

Back on topic:

Some of these Trio sets are quite quaint, if somewhat random, but this one is just naff, if not down right insulting:

Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Lethevich

I can understand the issues with Testament's covers, I also don't like them. An example of why:

The way they cut out the images and place them over a cheap looking gradient looks bad, and even worse in some such as this, when ones with significantly different looking depths are combined (the woman's photo looks flat next to the man, and together they seem to inhabit different dimensions). They also have a bad habit of tinting the photographs slightly, which when combined with a lurid background gradient produces unpleasant effects:

The logo is also not ideal... An example of them doing it slightly better without as aggressive cutting out, and no gradient (the fancy font is nice as well):

This one is the best, simply because it's a full photograph for once:

Still marred by the logos, but much better overall.

(It takes an immensely sad person to make such a lengthy commentry on a damn label's cover design  :-X ;D)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Haffner

MishaK

M forever

What about this? Doesn't this look really bad?

Gustav

Quote from: Haffner on January 25, 2008, 03:33:23 PM
Bleh

I think we have a winner here.

Btw, isn't that cover also somewhat "X-rated"? Isn't it a bit too late for the "Parental Advisory" warning?

Kullervo

What is wrong with these?

They look better than Naxos's covers.

Kullervo

Quote from: Novitiate on January 25, 2008, 02:07:34 PM
Some of these Trio sets are quite quaint, if somewhat random, but this one is just naff, if not down right insulting:

What is insulting about it? Shostakovich is a Russian composer. Those are Russian dolls. It's better than the faux-Cyrillic on most covers of DSCH recordings.  ::)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Lethe on January 25, 2008, 02:11:39 PM
I can understand the issues with Testament's covers, I also don't like them. An example of why:

The way they cut out the images and place them over a cheap looking gradient looks bad, and even worse in some such as this, when ones with significantly different looking depths are combined (the woman's photo looks flat next to the man, and together they seem to inhabit different dimensions).

I dunno....

There's a certain 'rightness' to this cover that if you knew the libretto you'd probably appreciate (although you might know it...just guessing).

Everything is enshrouded in a kind of dankness, giving a claustrophobic feel to the story. It's sullen, misty, half-lit...

Overall, though, I'm in favor Testament's covers. Understated, for the most part, and sort of elementary.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Lethevich

Quote from: M forever on January 25, 2008, 06:53:05 PM
What about this? Doesn't this look really bad?

The choice of picture is silly (and also pretentious). I love this cover from the same label, though:

M forever

But what does it have to do with Bruckner or the artists?

Lethevich

Quote from: M forever on January 26, 2008, 09:23:31 AM
But what does it have to do with Bruckner or the artists?

Nothing - it's just pretty (I suppose someone could suggest that the big train represents Bruckner's orchestral "power", but that would be BS IMO). Admittedly using a CD cover as some kind of photographic showcase is strange when I think about it, but it does tend to get repetitive seeing the same composer portraits, or even conductor photographs (eg I've seen Gunter Wand from 20 different front angles, all of them much the same) all the time, so mixing it up a little can be fun, in my view anyway.

Brian

Quote from: Novitiate on January 25, 2008, 02:07:34 PM
Yep, me too

I like this one:

Back on topic:
Wow; I would consider buying that one just to have the photograph on my shelf.

Quote from: Corey on January 25, 2008, 07:51:48 PM

They look better than Naxos's covers.
Really now?

And my obligatory Bad Cover Art image (or, Why You Shouldn't Declare a Winner Until All the Votes Are In):

from the link posted a couple pages ago.  ;D

Brian