Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: T. D. on September 03, 2021, 06:55:02 AM
Not to be rude, but Google is a wonderful thing, much quicker than a bulletin board:

https://www.yellowbarn.org/page/mauricio-kagel-exotica

Scored for "non-European instruments", Exotica was a commission for the 20th Olympic Games in Munich in 1972. The first performance took place under the direction of Mauricio Kagel himself, and the instrumentalists included such well-known new music personalities as Vinko Globokar, Siegfried Palm, Christoph Caskel, and Michel Portal. The six participants had to "manhandle" around 200 wind, string and percussion instruments wholly unknown in Europe. In Exotica, Kagel strove to question "the dominance of Western music or 'culture'" and "go back to the primeval origins of music-making, when singing was still at one with making sound out of simple, everyday objects."
Interesting.  And thank you!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

71 dB

Quote from: T. D. on July 20, 2021, 08:36:55 PM
Speaking of Regietheater, this (Blu-Ray DVD, apologies for off-topic) cover is merely silly-looking,

That's like the less stylish parody version of The Prodigy's last album 'No Tourists'  ;D

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

VonStupp

Quote from: T. D. on September 02, 2021, 06:21:21 PM
His music spans a wide spectrum from slightly quirky to extremely avant-garde/weird. Exotica is very much on the latter end of the spectrum.

Yes, I am finding that out with some samples I have found of Mauricio Kagel. I have a soft spot for performance art, Dadaism, absurdist tendencies, and their ilk, although those types of performances seem most effective live and in the moment. Recordings rarely capture the frisson of seeing the music in action.

Having performed some of Charles Ives songs, he often writes out eccentric visual instructions to ride along the music. So much is lost of the Ives experience only hearing them on record.

Quote from: T. D. on September 03, 2021, 06:55:02 AM
https://www.yellowbarn.org/page/mauricio-kagel-exotica

I know I will probably not even have a footnote when I shed my mortal coil, but what a great header to a brief musical biographical entry:

QuoteA composer whose assaultive music was categorized as "classical" because record stores didn't know where else to put it, Kagel was an intellectual prankster and social provocateur on the grand, protean level of Marcel Duchamp—or Lenny Bruce. His specialty was a heady, unforgiving onslaught on audience expectations, the sort of theatrical meta-gesture that, for example, requires the conductor of an orchestral piece to feign a realistic fatal heart attack on stage.
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Madiel

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 03, 2021, 06:52:57 AM
Is there some special cultural significance of his face painting?

PD

It appears to be Japanese style.

I'm not sure I get "questioning the dominance of Western culture" from a Western man painting himself as if he belongs to a different culture and then labelling it as exotic. That just tells me it's the Western lens that still matters.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

Quote from: Madiel on September 03, 2021, 03:55:15 PM
It appears to be Japanese style.

I'm not sure I get "questioning the dominance of Western culture" from a Western man painting himself as if he belongs to a different culture and then labelling it as exotic. That just tells me it's the Western lens that still matters.
Of course. And it's still the same almost 50 years later with "questioning Western dominance" attitudes being very much a Western (WEIRD) thing, even if Kagel would be at least roasted for well meant "appropriation" nowadays.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Peter Power Pop

I thought this was a refreshingly non-classical-music cover. It's almost defiantly non-classical-music.

Details at Bridge Records
Details at Amazon

SimonNZ

Am I right in thinking that Crumb has made a surprising number of appearances on this thread given the size of his discography?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on October 26, 2021, 02:48:12 PM
I thought this was a refreshingly non-classical-music cover. It's almost defiantly non-classical-music.

Details at Amazon

To the bolded text, are you classical police?

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 26, 2021, 03:10:32 PM
To the bolded text, are you classical police?

Not at all. I was just taken aback by a cover that isn't yer standard classical music cover. George is not in a concert hall, he's not wearing a suit, he's not at a piano, he's not in front of an orchestra, the cover isn't a photo of a landscape, or a musical instrument etc.

It's none of those things, and I like that it isn't.

amw

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 26, 2021, 03:02:41 PM
Am I right in thinking that Crumb has made a surprising number of appearances on this thread given the size of his discography?
Bridge Records Inc. is a fairly low-budget operation and clearly made the decision to primarily spend that budget on things other than graphic design. Performance and sound quality by comparison are usually pretty good. I think it's an acceptable trade-off.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: amw on October 26, 2021, 03:17:47 PM
Bridge Records Inc. is a fairly low-budget operation and clearly made the decision to primarily spend that budget on things other than graphic design. Performance and sound quality by comparison are usually pretty good. I think it's an acceptable trade-off.

I agree completely. The play's the thing (as someone once said).

SimonNZ

I broadly agree with that.But  I guess I'm suggesting that many of us here could make more professional looking covers on our home PCs.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 26, 2021, 03:43:52 PM

I'd completely forgotten about that.

Here's the image uploaded to PostImage:

And here's the back cover:

Madiel

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on October 26, 2021, 02:48:12 PM

Details at Amazon

Not so much an album cover as a family photo that got placed in the wrong folder on the USB drive that went to the printers.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on October 26, 2021, 03:14:21 PM
Not at all. I was just taken aback by a cover that isn't yer standard classical music cover. George is not in a concert hall, he's not wearing a suit, he's not at a piano, he's not in front of an orchestra, the cover isn't a photo of a landscape, or a musical instrument etc.

It's none of those things, and I like that it isn't.

Ah, I understand what you're saying. I'm personally not a fan of much these Bridge covers. They look amateurish. You or I could design better album covers.

Scion7

Quote from: VonStupp on September 02, 2021, 05:04:34 PM

At first glance, I thought he was holding a garden-sprayer.
Kill the weevils!
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

T. D.

Quote from: Madiel on October 26, 2021, 03:57:07 PM
Not so much an album cover as a family photo that got placed in the wrong folder on the USB drive that went to the printers.

I looked up the booklet on the Bridge site.
The Variazioni were recorded in Odense, Denmark in 2007, and the cover photo was taken in Odense by Becky Starobin, President of Bridge Records and wife of guitarist David Starobin, the founder of Bridge.
So it is more or less a family travelogue photo.

The Bridge George Crumb Edition covers are almost all quirky (maybe George is just that kind of guy). This is the only one that impresses:

JBS

If anyone does like Crumb's music, Bridge Records is offering what seems a nice deal on its complete Crumb edition.  From the link to Bridge's website Peter provided, go to the bottom of the page to find a further link with the details.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk