Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maciek

Guido

Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Robert

Maciek

I've always felt that Polskie Nagrania (Muza) deserve all the accolades available for constantly releasing the ugliest and most unattractive looking CD covers ever conceived. I recently browsed their catalogue, and here are two CDs that show off beautifully the wonderful taste of their graphics people:

(Don't you just have to hear that Queen of the Night? ;D)

Really, these guys are pros.

Here's another example: take one of the best violinists ever, release a 2CD set containing some of her best recordings (including a peerless Khachaturian VC - at least equal to the Oistrakh recording, though I think it's actually better). All you need now is to think up some decent cover art. What do these guys do?

Geez... I wonder what sort of graphics software they're using? I think it's not even MS Word... :P

BTW, all three albums are on my wish list but somehow I keeping putting off the purchase... ::)

71 dB

Who makes these covers?

1 Fading background color is a cheap trick and looks stupid.
2 What are these bars? Stairs? The foundation of a pyramid? Stupid stupid stupid!
3 Why is all text italicized? Why is the text aligned with the picture on the left side only?
4 Sony's logo looks good but this blue large box looks stupid.

For me this "Essential Classics" serie looks horrible. No wonder I don't own any of them. They are repulsive!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

George

Quote from: 71 dB on June 14, 2007, 06:09:32 AM
Who makes these covers?

Well, the original is certainly better, I'll give you that:

But then the latest Essential Classics covers to me are the absolute worst.

Isn't this:

Much worse than This:

orbital

Quote from: George on June 14, 2007, 06:17:32 AM

This is very unimaginative. Why the peephole view  :D And the colors they choose, this one or that green. And somehow it feels like I see Andre Watts' name on these covers more than anybody else  ::)

Mark

Quote from: George on June 14, 2007, 06:17:32 AM

Isn't this:

Much worse than This:

Actually, no. The top cover would be regarded as better (but still crap) design by an art director. The thoughtless positioning of competing logos on the bottom cover, together with the poor typographical setting (text squashed in so close beneath the dark blue logo), are alone enough to make it a poorer relation to the one above it.

71 dB

Quote from: Mark on June 14, 2007, 06:34:55 AM
Actually, no. The top cover would be regarded as better (but still crap) design by an art director. The thoughtless positioning of competing logos on the bottom cover, together with the poor typographical setting (text squashed in so close beneath the dark blue logo), are alone enough to make it a poorer relation to the one above it.

100 % agree with you. You should design classical CD covers too!  ;)

George

Quote from: orbital on June 14, 2007, 06:29:09 AM
This is very unimaginative. Why the peephole view  :D And the colors they choose, this one or that green. And somehow it feels like I see Andre Watts' name on these covers more than anybody else  ::)

Yeah, it's like looking at a door in a middle school hallway. Bleck!  :(

Kinda makes a good argument for downloads, though.  :)

71 dB

Quick re-design of the Sony CD:

Kullervo

Poor Iannis... they shouldn't put him on the cover of anything.

and pretty much every CD released by the Bridge label has terrible artwork, but I thought this was one of the worst:

Mark

Quote from: 71 dB on June 14, 2007, 07:57:11 AM
Quick re-design of the Sony CD:

Nice work. Just need to range that Sony logo box off of something on the vertical axis (the '2' of '582', perhaps?) and that's a passable CD cover! :D

71 dB

Quote from: Mark on June 14, 2007, 09:04:12 AM
Nice work. Just need to range that Sony logo box off of something on the vertical axis (the '2' of '582', perhaps?) and that's a passable CD cover! :D

Thanks! You are right about the logo aligment. I'd change the font of the work list remind more the font Bach is written (+remove italicizing). This was just a demonstration how easy it is to have something better.

Kullervo

shive1

shive1

Quote from: Kullervo on June 14, 2007, 04:22:37 PM
I didn't know Conrad Veidt did album covers!

A red wig and it's not too far off!