Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hornteacher

Quote from: shive1 on June 14, 2007, 04:26:42 PM
or...

Yes, terrible cover, but wow it is such a great recording!

shive1

Quote from: hornteacher on June 14, 2007, 05:56:53 PM
Yes, terrible cover, but wow it is such a great recording!

I agree.  Some of my favorite/best-sounding cd's are on the Mercury Living Presence label.

71 dB

Quote from: shive1 on June 14, 2007, 04:20:37 PM

Absolutely horrible!  :o Some bad covers are at least funny but this is pain for my eyes!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Maciek

Quote from: Mark on June 14, 2007, 06:34:55 AM
Actually, no. The top cover would be regarded as better (but still crap) design by an art director.

I think you're completely missing George's point which is to contemplate these two covers as purely aesthetic objects, graphic design "craft" aside. Now, even though the top cover does not break as many rules as the bottom one, it is, IMHO, much uglier than the bottom one. Just as an ungrammatical sentence can still be more beautiful than a perfectly grammatical but... ugly one. On these terms, the main difference between these 2 covers is that one contains at least a segment of something that could be considered esthetically pleasing (the very decent painting in the middle) while the top one does not contain even one beautiful element to redeem it (unless you're into peepholes that is ;)).

Anyway, when did this thread suddenly turn so serious? ??? :o :o :o ::) ;) 8)

George

Quote from: MrOsa on June 18, 2007, 02:58:42 PM
I think you're completely missing George's point which is to contemplate these two covers as purely aesthetic objects, graphic design "craft" aside. Now, even though the top cover does not break as many rules as the bottom one, it is, IMHO, much uglier than the bottom one. Just as an ungrammatical sentence can still be more beautiful than a perfectly grammatical but... ugly one. On these terms, the main difference between these 2 covers is that one contains at least a segment of something that could be considered esthetically pleasing (the very decent painting in the middle) while the top one does not contain even one beautiful element to redeem it (unless you're into peepholes that is ;)).

Thanks Mr. Osa!

Where you been? 

Maciek

Hi George! I was at the seaside. Getting hopelessly bored, I'm afraid... ::) (We're not great fans of sunbathing in our family... ;D And what else is there to do there...? 0:))

Maciek

George

Quote from: MrOsa on June 18, 2007, 03:03:22 PM
Hi George! I was at the seaside. Getting hopelessly bored, I'm afraid... ::) (We're not great fans of sunbathing in our family... ;D And what else is there to do there...? 0:))

Maciek

Hope you had some 75 sunblock for Rose.  :)

orbital

Quote from: MrOsa on June 18, 2007, 03:03:22 PM

Maciek
I don't like sunbathing either. But nothing beats the sound of the sea/ocean. That, under the shade, with a book, I will happily spend my vacation doing absolutely nothing  8)

Maciek

Quote from: George on June 18, 2007, 03:05:20 PM
Hope you had some 75 sunblock for Rose.  :)

75? Yeah, well, more or less... ;D

Maciek

Oh dear. I guess I'll just move over to one of the travel threads before I derail this topic completely... 0:)

pjme

Ok - a good laugh before bed...

I'm in a big hair mood..

knight66

That Tebaldi 'hair' is realy a cosy against the winter weather and not hair at all.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Kullervo

Is it just me, or does Iggy look already dead, and MTT is taking him for a ride a la "Weekend at Bernies"?

Also, this disc contains some of Stravinsky's most high-minded pieces (like Agon and Aldous Huxley in Memoriam).

bhodges

Quote from: Kullervo on June 20, 2007, 10:23:39 AM
Is it just me, or does Iggy look already dead, and MTT is taking him for a ride a la "Weekend at Bernies"?

Also, this disc contains some of Stravinsky's most high-minded pieces (like Agon and Aldous Huxley in Memoriam).

;D  That cover definitely does not say Agon.

--Bruce

Kullervo

Quote from: bhodges on June 20, 2007, 10:29:38 AM
;D  That cover definitely does not say Agon.

--Bruce

I know. Agon brings to my mind the Parthenon, that is, if it were designed by the Bauhaus.

The Mad Hatter

Hector

Quote from: shive1 on June 14, 2007, 04:26:42 PM
or...

I don't think that this is as bad as it gets simply because one needs to know what it represents: a Lincolnshire Posy or an Armenian dancer?

It cannot possibly be Japanese , can it?

Either way, a classic!

Maciek

longears

Quote from: 71 dB on April 13, 2007, 12:43:42 PM
Covers like these are just plain awful!

Something we agree on!  It's a miracle!