Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDL

Quote from: knight on April 24, 2010, 11:29:56 PM

Mike

Laugh-out-loud terrible. Who knew Gandhi had a thing for Bet Lynch earrings?

Brian

Quote from: gomro on January 26, 2008, 04:49:21 PM
And Don Gillis wasn't a major composer, but he deserves better than this:

That's "YeeeeHaaaaa!!!" coming out of the ladies ear, or mouth, or something. Even Amazon recognizes the dreariness of this and the Bazelon: there was no closeup available!

I was just about to post this myself. Here's a bigger photo so everyone can appreciate the tawdriness of the cover:

bhodges

Terrible cover! 

And that little star at the bottom, with "Music that's really fun!"  Makes me want to reply, "Thank you for the notice, since what we're all listening to at the moment is clearly a dreadful bore."  ;D

--Bruce

Brian

Maybe it's meant to contrast with music that only thinks it's fun.*  :D Yeah, that star was the last straw for me.

*I hear James is planning on putting that on Kapustin album covers...

PaulSC

I do rather like the association of the Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue with a plate of sausage!

vandermolen

I thought that this one rates fairly high in terms of ridiculous covers (especially for Symphony No 4!). Even 'A Pastoral Symphony' is now mostly regarded as a Requiem for the legion dead of World War One. It would, however, be perfectly approriate for a box of Quality Street confectionery:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: PaulSC on January 04, 2011, 04:17:37 AM

I do rather like the association of the Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue with a plate of sausage!

I like that cover; it's quite creative and well thought. Just the English Suite was clearly a problem, but I suppose the Englishmen are not especially famous by their cuisine.  :)

The statuette was unnecessary.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on January 04, 2011, 04:59:56 AM
I thought that this one rates fairly high in terms of ridiculous covers (especially for Symphony No 4!). Even 'A Pastoral Symphony' is now mostly regarded as a Requiem for the legion dead of World War One. It would, however, be perfectly approriate for a box of Quality Street confectionery:
In complete agreement here. Anyone buying this would think he'd be listening to idyllic and innocuous works.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on January 04, 2011, 06:33:06 AM
In complete agreement here. Anyone buying this would think he'd be listening to idyllic and innocuous works.

Yes, the EMI Eminence series of VW symphonies excelled itself in completely inappropriate cover images!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Gurn Blanston

OK, maybe not worst, but weird, and a bit jejeune. Some of Haydn's 'Paris Symphonies':

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

knight66

I take it 'The Hen' is in there, otherwise it is perverse as well as ugly.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: knight on January 05, 2011, 10:38:42 AM

Mike

Yes, The Hen & The Queen. The title says "Hen Hunts Queen". Not sure about that, since I haven't heard any Paris symphony called "The Hunt". Perhaps it is #73, 'La Chasse'?  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

bhodges

Quote from: knight on January 05, 2011, 10:38:42 AM

Mike

And what is that other, sadly drawn object?  It looks like a New Year's Eve party hat.

--Bruce

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: bhodges on January 05, 2011, 10:49:36 AM
And what is that other, sadly drawn object?  It looks like a New Year's Eve party hat.

--Bruce

That is The Queen. Looks rather more like The Witch, does it not?  :D

8)

karlhenning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 05, 2011, 10:50:29 AM

8)

Hot enough to boil a monkey's bum, Your Majesty.

bhodges

8)

That is *exactly* what I first thought, but then, "Nyah, looks a little frivolous for a witch."  ;D

--Bruce

knight66

8)

Glad you told me Gurn, I could not see what it was. Well, I hope the performances are worth the eyesore.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

karlhenning

Looks a bit like a running Chinaman (no. 3 son, maybe) from a children's book I read when I was 4 . . . .