[asin]B000000A61[/asin]

Did they have to choose that angle?

I think she's saying, "I need more butter!"

Brian

Quote from: MDL on February 16, 2011, 07:05:17 AM

I've been hit by the..

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ,,
| Too Much Information Truck | '|""";.||.___.
|_..._...__________________==== _|__|..., ] |
"(@ )'(@ )"""""""""""""""""""""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)

KevinP

Quote from: MDL on February 16, 2011, 07:05:17 AM

And what's he saying? I need more butt?

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on January 20, 2011, 03:04:24 PM
[asin]B000000A61[/asin]

Did they have to choose that angle?

At first I thought this was another Lethe's intervention.  ;D But then I recalled that I own this recording and it's the actual cover!

As a sort of relief for Chandos' stupidity, I will post the complete picture of the sculpture:

Apollo e Dafne (1622-25) marmo di Carrara cm. 243 | Gian Lorenzo Bernini
Galleria Borghese, Rome

Scarpia

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 19, 2011, 05:16:24 AM
At first I thought this was another Lethe's intervention.  ;D But then I recalled that I own this recording and it's the actual cover!

As a sort of relief for Chandos' stupidity, I will post the complete picture of the sculpture:

Apollo e Dafne (1622-25) marmo di Carrara cm. 243 | Gian Lorenzo Bernini
Galleria Borghese, Rome

I see nothing stupid about Chandos's use of the image.  The entire point of sculpture is that it can give a different impression from different vantage points, and Bernini's work is hardly chaste.

Florestan

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on February 19, 2011, 08:46:28 AM
I see nothing stupid about Chandos's use of the image.  The entire point of sculpture is that it can give a different impression from different vantage points,

True, but no person walking around it can see it from Chandos' vantage point.  ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Scarpia

Quote from: Eusebius on February 19, 2011, 08:53:25 AM
True, but no person walking around it can see it from Chandos' vantage point.  ;D

I'm not so sure.  If you look at the Chandos image, if Daphne turned her head a little to her right she would be looking directly at the camera.   Now look at the full figure that A-M posted.  If Daphne turned her head a little to her right she would be looking downward.  The Chandos image appears to have been taken looking slightly up at Daphne's face, not to far from where the A-M image was taken.   I think the Chandos image was taken from a location a bit below and a bit to the right of where the A-M photographer is standing.  The novelty seems to come from the fact that the frame is rotated somewhat in the Chandos image.

Florestan

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on February 19, 2011, 09:05:26 AM
It appears to be that the novelty comes from the fact that the image has been rotated.

Yes, that's my point: the image has been manipulated --- no real walking around the statue would result in that vantage point.

Scarpia

Quote from: Eusebius on February 19, 2011, 09:12:55 AM
Yes, that's my point: the image has been manipulated --- no real walking around the statue would result in that vantage point.

If you turned your head, you'd see that vantage point.  If Bernini wanted to determine the perspective from which we see Daphne he would have made a painting, not a sculpture.   0:)

Florestan

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on February 19, 2011, 09:14:21 AM
If you turned your head, you'd see that vantage point.  If Bernini wanted to determine the perspective from which we see Daphne he would have made a painting, not a sculpture.   0:)

Well, it's all conjecture --- let's meet at the statue, Chandos picture in hand, and check it.  :)

Scarpia

Quote from: Eusebius on February 19, 2011, 09:17:10 AM
Well, it's all conjecture --- let's meet at the statue, Chandos picture in hand, and check it.  :)

Here, this is simpler.  In the Chandos image you can see under Apollo's chin.  The Chandos photo was definitely taken looking up at Apollo's head, from the point of view of someone looking up at the statue.  But the image was rotated almost 90 degrees as framed on the Chandos CD.  If you want to see the couple oriented normally, just turn the CD on its side.   0:)

Florestan

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on February 19, 2011, 09:26:23 AM
Here, this is simpler.  In the Chandos image you can see under Apollo's chin.  The Chandos photo was definitely taken looking up at Apollo's head, from the point of view of someone looking up at the statue.  But the image was rotated almost 90 degrees as framed on the Chandos CD.  If you want to see the couple oriented normally, just turn the CD on its side.   0:)

This only proves my point, as it is equivalent to turning the statue on its side --- piece of cake with a camera, impossible for someone walking around it.  Now, if I understand your point correctly, you mean that Chandos didn't necessarily meant a sexual undertone of that picture --- and I agree. Why can't you accept my point?  ???

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on February 19, 2011, 08:46:28 AM
I see nothing stupid about Chandos's use of the image.  The entire point of sculpture is that it can give a different impression from different vantage points, and Bernini's work is hardly chaste.

I consider that picture a non-sense because (1) it doesn't suggest at all the classical beauty of the complete sculpture; it's an ugly and pseudo-intellectual picture; (2) it simply transforms the terrified fugue of Dafne ( wich is all movement) in a static couple copulating and (3) the vantage point is totally unnatural, even without to consider the fact that a sculpture of almost two and a half meters it is never intended to that kind of absurd close-up.

Florestan

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 19, 2011, 09:43:03 AM
I consider that picture a non-sense because (1) it doesn't suggest at all the classical beauty of the complete sculpture; it's an ugly and pseudo-intellectual picture; (2) it simply transforms the terrified fugue of Dafne ( wich is all movement) in a static couple copulating and (3) the vantage point is totally unnatural, even without to consider the fact that a sculture of almost two and a half meters it is never intended to that kind of absurd close-up.

QFT.

Scarpia

Quote from: Eusebius on February 19, 2011, 09:40:36 AM
This only proves my point, as it is equivalent to turning the statue on its side --- piece of cake with a camera, impossible for someone walking around it.  Now, if I understand your point correctly, you mean that Chandos didn't necessarily meant a sexual undertone of that picture --- and I agree. Why can't you accept my point?  ???

Yes, I agree, the rotation of the picture changes the impression.   But if I gave you a postcard of the statue you could also rotate it, no?

Scarpia

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 19, 2011, 09:43:03 AM
I consider that picture a non-sense because (1) it doesn't suggest at all the classical beauty of the complete sculpture; it's an ugly and pseudo-intellectual picture; (2) it simply transforms the terrified fugue of Dafne ( wich is all movement) in a static couple copulating and (3) the vantage point is totally unnatural, even without to consider the fact that a sculpture of almost two and a half meters it is never intended to that kind of absurd close-up.

I think it is pretty silly for you to claim that Bertini did not intend an "absurd close-up" when the camera had not been invented yet.  I suspect he took it for granted that people would walk around the work and decide to look closely at different parts of it as it took their fancy.   As to the "classical beauty," I also suspect Bertini took delight in the conflict between the classical beauty and the raw sensuality that are combined in the work.

In any case, you have your view of the work, perhaps you will condescend to permit me my own view of the work.   ;D

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 19, 2011, 05:16:24 AM

I think someone at Chandos just has a sense of humor.

Florestan

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on February 19, 2011, 10:08:03 AM
I think it is pretty silly for you to claim that Bertini did not intend an "absurd close-up" when the camera had not been invented yet.  I suspect he took it for granted that people would walk around the work and decide to look closely at different parts of it as it took their fancy.   As to the "classical beauty," I also suspect Bertini took delight in the conflict between the classical beauty and the raw sensuality that are combined in the work.

In any case, you have your view of the work, perhaps you will condescend to permit me my own view of the work.   ;D

(1) Had I been a smartass --- which some of you might think I really am --- I'd have corrected Bertini as Bernini,  twice...  :P

(2) Why someone would think that classical beauty and (raw) sensuality are mutually exclusive is beyond me --- and more likely than not, beyond Bernini himself.  ;D

Florestan

Quote from: Greg on February 19, 2011, 10:22:31 AM
I think someone at Chandos just has a sense of humor.

And more than one person at Chandos has no sense of propriety at all.  ;D

Antoine Marchand

I'm sorry if you feel my opinion as derogatory, but it is just that: my opinion. Anyway, I would prefer to avoid adjectives such as "silly", even if they are improperly replaced by words like "wrong". I think it is more polite.

About the "close-up": Yes, photography and sculpture are different arts and that picture -considered on the basis of its own merits- it's, IMO, an ugly picture. I won't comment its merits as a supposed exercise in style.

No problem at all, I just have my arguments and paraphrasing Voltaire, I would say:"Monsieur Scarpia, I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write".  ;)

P.S.: BTW, that "to detest" is merely rhetorical.  ;D