Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeresist

Quote from: AllegroVivace on August 29, 2011, 05:21:12 PM
Can't stand this guy's pose either.... that vain look in his face.

I've seen PLENTY worse, Herbert von K and Lenny being amongst the most notable offenders.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: AllegroVivace on August 29, 2011, 05:21:12 PM
Can't stand this guy's pose either.... that vain look in his face.

I've saw several Cincinnati SO concerts a few years ago, and when Paavo was conducting there was a 4-5 minute video called. "Paavo's First Notes" and it was an introduction of sorts to the pieces being performed, it was just Paavo talking in close ups, as if in an 20/20 interview, shot from different angles, even in black & white (ooo, stylish)..It was ridiculous.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: eyeresist on August 29, 2011, 05:48:41 PM
I've seen PLENTY worse, Herbert von K and Lenny being amongst the most notable offenders.

Here's a personal favorite of Herbert.

kishnevi

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 29, 2011, 04:14:21 PM

Okay, I'm driving myself crazy, because I can't think of the name of the TV comedy actor/stand up comic who looks exactly like Jarvi on that cover.

TheGSMoeller

[asin]B001CH3BRO[/asin][asin]B00288KO7Q[/asin]

Speaking of comedians...these look more like Roger Norrington's stand-up comedy CDs rather than his Bruckner recordings.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 29, 2011, 04:14:21 PM

Roots? In your hair, Paavo? Because it's about to fall out. You suave motha-fu***.

I've seen worse...a lot worse. Like this one:

[asin]B000003J71[/asin]

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 29, 2011, 06:08:58 PM
I've seen worse...a lot worse. Like this one:

[asin]B000003J71[/asin]

Only difference is that Paavo is trying really, really hard to look that way.

kishnevi

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 29, 2011, 05:58:36 PM
[asin]B001CH3BRO[/asin][asin]B00288KO7Q[/asin]

Speaking of comedians...these look more like Roger Norrington's stand-up comedy CDs rather than his Bruckner recordings.

At the very least, Sir Roger definitely wasn't aiming for the glamour look like Paavo. 
Coincidently, my order from Arkiv contianing Norrington's Bruckner 4, 6 and 7 landed today.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 29, 2011, 06:10:32 PM

Honestly, any cover with the conductor on the front cover is a bad cover IMHO.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 29, 2011, 06:16:20 PM
At the very least, Sir Roger definitely wasn't aiming for the glamour look like Paavo. 
Coincidently, my order from Arkiv contianing Norrington's Bruckner 4, 6 and 7 landed today.

Very nice, Jeff. I have many Norrington recordings that I really enjoy, his Bruckner is next, specifically the 6th.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 29, 2011, 06:18:09 PM

Are you telling me this Levine, super-imposed close-up is bad?  ;D

eyeresist

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 29, 2011, 06:10:32 PM
No, I think that's actually what he looks like.

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 29, 2011, 05:52:37 PM
Here's a personal favorite of Herbert.

It's FRANKENSTEIN'S MONSTER meets THE CABINET OF DOCTOR CALIGARI!  :o

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 29, 2011, 06:18:57 PM
Very nice, Jeff. I have many Norrington recordings that I really enjoy, his Bruckner is next, specifically the 6th.

Why is it Norrington has such a bad reputation amongst classical critics and fans? What is so appalling about his performances?

AllegroVivace

Agree with this hundred percent! I'd prefer the pictures of the composers, or no picture at all. Couldn't care less about a conductor glamor-shot. Most conductors are full of sh*t anyway... No other profession in the music world gives a person such undeserved confidence.
Richard

Mirror Image

Quote from: AllegroVivace on August 29, 2011, 07:04:48 PM
Agree with this hundred percent! I'd prefer the pictures of the composers, or no picture at all. Couldn't care less about a conductor glamor-shot. Most conductors are full of sh*t anyway... No other profession in the music world gives a person such undeserved confidence.

I think too often conductors are spotlighted when the real stars are the musicians in the orchestras. I'm not degrading the conductor's job, but I think too much emphasis has been placed on their role when the orchestra are responsible for producing the sounds we hear. The conductor tries to keep the balances right in the orchestra and may offer the orchestra, specifically in rehearsal, a little background information on the piece they're performing, but ultimately a good performance rests in the orchestra's hands.

Renfield

In the interest of fairness, I've seen Norrington do these little theatrical flourishes in concert, too, after the last note.

So that's what he looks like, too, in context. Whereas that Karajan is definitely not his best moment.

TheGSMoeller

If a conductor pic is going to grace the front cover, then they should at least be conducting, here's a good one...

Here's a bad one, Masur, the party-crasher...

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 29, 2011, 05:55:52 PM
Okay, I'm driving myself crazy, because I can't think of the name of the TV comedy actor/stand up comic who looks exactly like Jarvi on that cover.

Major Winchester from M*A*S*H?

Nah. There are good conductor covers. They're very rare, I'll grant you that, and they're usually my least favorite covers, but there are good conductor covers. Greg found one with Boulez, a really good one. In fact, black and white is usually the best conductor-cover tone, I think. Here are some of my favorites, three of them b&w...

Coco

What are you saying, MI? ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on August 29, 2011, 07:30:47 PMNah. There are good conductor covers. They're very rare, I'll grant you that, and they're usually my least favorite covers, but there are good conductor covers. Greg found one with Boulez, a really good one. In fact, black and white is usually the best conductor-cover tone, I think. Here are some of my favorites, three of them b&w...

Well perhaps I should elaborate, I think conductor covers aren't very creative.