Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Another conductor who is too posed for anyone's good

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 29, 2011, 06:22:40 PM
Are you telling me this Levine, super-imposed close-up is bad?  ;D

Well, it does have a sort of Frankenstein's Bride look to it.  But in this case, it's simply the photo of Levine they chose, and not the basic concept.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 29, 2011, 07:35:33 PM
Well perhaps I should elaborate, I think conductor covers aren't very creative.

Oh undoubtedly so, unless they are creative in a bad way.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on August 29, 2011, 07:58:14 PM
Oh undoubtedly so, unless they are creative in a bad way.

Yes, there's nothing worse than a piece of cover art that has NOTHING do with the music or remotely even hints at it.

The new erato

I have pretty few Karajan discs. One of the reason is that I hate the vain, selfglorifying covers. Put them in plain, brown wrapping paper and I would probably buy them.

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on August 29, 2011, 10:36:27 PM
I have pretty few Karajan discs. One of the reason is that I hate the vain, selfglorifying covers. Put them in plain, brown wrapping paper and I would probably buy them.

Do you own his recordings of the Second Viennese School?

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 29, 2011, 11:12:39 PM
Do you own his recordings of the Second Viennese School?
Some of them. I'm not saying he's a bad conductor, just that I would have had more discs if it weren't for some of those horrifying covers.

This for example is both very good and nice to look at:

Renfield

In his defense, I understand he personally preferred the abstract/artsy covers, many of which he selected, over his face.

The Karajan Gold (TM) look-at-me rebranding of his 80s work, for example, is definitely post-mortem.

Grazioso

Last page we had HvK wandering about in his pajamas right after waking up. Here's Chailly brushing his teeth:

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Grazioso

Put the seven veils back on, quick!  :o

Grazioso

"Jeffrey! What the hell did you eat for lunch?"  :'(

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on August 29, 2011, 11:21:59 PMI'm not saying he's a bad conductor.

HvK, like Bernstein, was hyped to the hills by the media (still is). I do think highly of both of these conductors, but I don't put them up on some kind of pedestal as some people do. I generally like the repertoire Bernstein chose to perform more than HvK, but HvK has done some interesting recordings like those of Schoenberg, Berg, and Webern, which Bernstein never bothered with. Does anybody know the history of why Bernstein didn't record these composers or maybe what his opinion of them happened to be?

Edit: I see Bernstein conducted Isaac Stern's performance of the Berg's Violin Concerto, but this is all I could find.

AllegroVivace

Perhaps this calls for a separate thread, but I find it very difficult to be a fan of a conductor, any conductor... Unless you play in an orchestra, the conductor's real work (running rehearsals) is hidden from your view.
Richard

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: AllegroVivace on August 30, 2011, 04:53:19 PM
the conductor's real work (running rehearsals) is hidden from your view.

Exactly, but that carries over to the actual performance.

Thread duty...

Great disc, but sort of an awkward photo.

snyprrr

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 30, 2011, 05:01:20 PM
Exactly, but that carries over to the actual performance.

Thread duty...

Great disc, but sort of an awkward photo.

"Dude,... I'm hammered..."

snyprrr

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 29, 2011, 05:55:52 PM
Okay, I'm driving myself crazy, because I can't think of the name of the TV comedy actor/stand up comic who looks exactly like Jarvi on that cover.

Bill Pullman? meets Jeff Daniels?? :-\

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 29, 2011, 07:23:58 PM

Here's a bad one, Masur, the party-crasher...

"Stay thirsty, my friends."

snyprrr

Can anyone show HvK on The Originals Honegger 2/3 (w/Stravinsky)? This is an awesome pic, down to what looks like the sweater draped over his shoulders,... and that look of meditation as he rests his hand on his chin...