Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeresist

I quite like the Mitropoulos one.

OTOH, I know that divas can be high maintenance, but this chick takes it into Courtney Love territory.

Quote from: MN Dave on July 24, 2012, 06:02:01 PM

"If you betray me, I will CUT YOUR BALLS OFF!!!"

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: eyeresist on July 25, 2012, 06:22:18 PM
I quite like the Mitropoulos one.

OTOH, I know that divas can be high maintenance, but this chick takes it into Courtney Love territory.

"If you betray me, I will CUT YOUR BALLS OFF!!!"

The many faces of  Ms. Deneterova...

eyeresist

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 25, 2012, 06:30:33 PMThe many faces of  Ms. Deneterova...

I actually have this, picked up from a bargain bin, but have never actually listened to it. Just can't work up the interest.

Fafner

Quote from: MN Dave on July 24, 2012, 06:02:01 PM
"Hey! You wanna shut up while I'm playin'?"

Caption is spot-on.  I don't know what it is doing in this thread.  I think it is the best album cover I have seen in a long time. 

JerryS

What were they thinking?

[asin]B004LLJ834[/asin]

Jerry

Sammy

Szykneij

Quote from: Sammy on July 29, 2012, 05:43:11 PM
Eight

This is probably on the back cover for String Symphony No. 10.

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

mahler10th

Yes.  On the same kind of opaque reference to numbers on covers, here is the cover for the next album I have made for my friend Hans Rott.    >:D

Opus106

[asin]B008LSSI4S[/asin]

Yep, it's her.

The power of Cecilia compels you to buy this album.
Regards,
Navneeth

Florestan

Quote from: Opus106 on July 31, 2012, 07:29:24 AM
[asin]B008LSSI4S[/asin]

Yep, it's her.

Vade retro, Satanas;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

eyeresist

Quote from: Opus106 on July 31, 2012, 07:29:24 AM[asin]B008LSSI4S[/asin]

Yep, it's her.

How is this anyone's idea of "crossover"?

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

The new erato

Quote from: Opus106 on July 31, 2012, 07:29:24 AM
[asin]B008LSSI4S[/asin]

Yep, it's her.

If I order it, I will order it in a plain, brown wrapper.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Opus106 on August 01, 2012, 11:34:07 PM
Is it?
Interesting question, one which may be answered by the description at Amazon (depending on your view of what crossover is):
QuoteAutumn 2012 marks the release of Mission, a sensational release from the world s best-selling classical artist Cecilia Bartoli and a project with international politics, religious conflict, diplomatic secrecy, spying and sensational music at its heart.
Following the exceptional artistic and commercial success of 2009 s Sacrificium (which earned Cecilia her fifth Grammy award), Cecilia Bartoli now turns to the early baroque period for the first time in her recording career and uncovers a treasure of beautiful music in an album almost entirely composed of world premiere recordings.
Limited-edition 25K
Hardcover book presentation
172 page booklet (which will not be reproduced when the jewel version comes out later) including historical essay and complete album notes and libretto
The album showcases the music of little-known Italian composer Agostino Steffani (1654 1728), and will include solo arias of various moods and styles, several duets, solo numbers with chorus - all sung in Italian - and instrumental interludes that create an organic transition from one piece to the next and an arc that reaches from the beginning to the end of the album.

Steffani s story is mysterious at the very least; his name is largely absent from studies of Italian music despite holding senior court positions during his lifetime and contemporary accounts acknowledging him as one of the greatest opera composers of the period and the acknowledged master of the vocal duet (Colin Timms, author of the booklet note).

Such was the appeal of the project that longtime Bartoli admirer and global best-selling author Donna Leon decided to write a mystery novel - Jewels of Paradise - to accompany Cecilia s album, which uses the mystery surrounding the composer s story as the centre of its plot. Jewels of Paradise will be released simultaneously with Cecilia Bartoli s album in English (UK and USA), German, French, Dutch, Spanish and Catalan.
Among the distinguished names appearing on Mission is star French counter-tenor Philippe Jaroussky who features in a first-time collaboration with Cecilia on a selection of duets, alongside the Coro della Radiotelevisione Svizzera, the period orchestra I Barocchisti from Lugano, Switzerland, and conductor Diego Fasolis.
A cinematographic vision of the album directed by Olivier Simonnet and filmed in the historic Galerie des Glaces (Hall of Mirrors) and in the gardens of the Chateau de Versailles will be available on DVD and for TV broadcast later in the year.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

The new erato

Quote from: mc ukrneal on August 01, 2012, 11:44:16 PM
Interesting question, one which may be answered by the description at Amazon (depending on your view of what crossover is):
I'm so happy this new disc is about mystery, not about music. Saves me some money. And an ugly cover to scare me.

It seems the music industry is continually reaching new lows.

eyeresist

Quote from: The new erato on August 01, 2012, 11:54:59 PMI'm so happy this new disc is about mystery, not about music.

The fact that much of this early music hasn't been recorded before is certainly of interest. The fact that a Da Vinci Code-style tie-in was thought a good idea is another matter - though in the end I think it's all harmless fun.

Opus106

Quote from: mc ukrneal on August 01, 2012, 11:44:16 PM

The cover was weird enough that I read all that before posting the image. This recording just has a few hefty add-ons, that's all; the music is still "regular" classical, from what I can gauge.
Regards,
Navneeth

The new erato

Quote from: eyeresist on August 02, 2012, 12:47:02 AM
The fact that much of this early music hasn't been recorded before is certainly of interest.
Yes, but unfortunately I'm one of those put off purchasing stuff if the marketing is too stupid.

eyeresist

Quote from: The new erato on August 02, 2012, 01:21:29 AMYes, but unfortunately I'm one of those put off purchasing stuff if the marketing is too stupid.

Sometimes terrible marketing can results in, after a couple of months, very cheap CDs! You just need to have a strong stomach regarding the covers.

Reminds me of that book Lebrecht wrote about the death of the record industry, in which he named the Worst Record of All Time as being "Mahler for Dummies". The thing is, I actually have that CD (it was a cutout in a bargain bin) and as a newcomer to Mahler I actually found it quite valuable. It contained complete movements in creditable performances. There was some "multimedia" content, but I didn't bother with that. But as I recall Lebrecht's chief objection was in fact not to the content, or the purpose, of the CD but to its title. It was the Worst Record of All Time because of its title.

Gee, can we all spend a few minutes ranting about what an idiot that Lebrecht is?  >:D  ;)

Karl Henning

Quote from: The new erato on August 01, 2012, 11:54:59 PM
... It seems the music industry is continually reaching new lows.

Dude, you're forgetting the abysmal old lows!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot