Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Elgar's essentials, in outer space!

71 dB

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 23, 2012, 06:24:59 PM

I don't have a problem with the combination of space and Elgar but the execution of this cover "art" is extremely amateurish. A colourful stardust background and a cut-out black and white portrait photograph just don't go together not to mention the dull "Elgar - Essentials" texts and the the overall layout. The cover says: "Please, keep left Sir Elgar so people can see the stars."

::)

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Szykneij

Quote from: 71 dB on November 24, 2012, 03:04:05 AM
I don't have a problem with the combination of space and Elgar but the execution of this cover "art" is extremely amateurish. A colourful stardust background and a cut-out black and white portrait photograph just don't go together not to mention the dull "Elgar - Essentials" texts and the the overall layout. The cover says: "Please, keep left Sir Elgar so people can see the stars."

::)

I don't believe this is an actual CD/LP cover, just an image for a digital download. I'm more inclined to cut them some slack for slapping something together that doesn't actually exist as printed matter.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

TheGSMoeller

It is a digital download, in fact their are other ones from this series with the same cover but different composer. And digital albums present some of the most creatively bad, but entertaining covers. 

Opus106

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 24, 2012, 05:58:47 AM
It is a digital download, in fact their are other ones from this series with the same cover but different composer.

A different astronomical object, too, my classical music-listening toy simian friend. Let's not forget that. 0:)

Elgar gets the Orion Nebula. RVW has a mirror image of the 'Baja' region of the North American nebula. (There's aren't enough clues to identify Handel's background. :() And I've only managed to locate these two apart from Elgar.

Ooh, some more!:
Beethoven - Trifid Nebula
Bach - Storm clouds over choppy waters :-\
Mozart - Seems like the rim of the Andromeda galaxy
Tchaikovsky - seems purely CG stuff; although "Essential Works" has the Orion and the Running Man complex.
Regards,
Navneeth

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Opus106 on November 24, 2012, 06:14:52 AM
A different astronomical object, too, my classical music-listening toy simian friend. Let's not forget that. 0:)

Elgar gets the Orion Nebula. RVW has a mirror image of the 'Baja' region of the North American nebula. (There's aren't enough clues to identify Handel's background. :() And I've only managed to locate these two apart from Elgar.

Ooh, some more!:
Beethoven - Trifid Nebula
Bach - Storm clouds over choppy waters :-\
Mozart - Seems like the rim of the Andromeda galaxy
Tchaikovsky - seems purely CG stuff; although "Essential Works" has the Orion and the Running Man complex.

Then someone did put some thought into these covers, well done.  8) (You can tell I didn't inspect more than the thumnails of the rest of them, I passed them up as slapping something together covers)
Now lets solve the mystery of what connects these astronomical images to their respective composers.

Opus106

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 24, 2012, 06:34:06 AM
Then someone did put some thought into these covers, well done.  8)

I didn't imply that. I was simply playing Identify that Nebula. ;D

Regards,
Navneeth

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: Brian on November 01, 2012, 02:15:07 PM
BIS makes some really beautiful covers, a few of the very best, which makes it all the weirder when they poop out something like this:

I just ordered this SACD--I hope that isn't my response to it!

Madiel

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 23, 2012, 06:24:59 PM

Take two stock images, and a tube of glue...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

TheGSMoeller

Seiji Ozawa in rehearsal alongside his lesser known twin, Seiji.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 28, 2012, 04:32:12 PM

Seiji Ozawa in rehearsal alongside his lesser known twin, Seiji.

Ha! I was also thinking "Will the real Seiji Ozawa please stand?"

Mirror Image

I thought this cover was pretty horrible:

Another GMG member posted this cover in the listening thread and I thought was so awful that it would perfectly suit this thread.

Madiel

Well, it partly goes with the completely bizarre title...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: orfeo on November 29, 2012, 03:19:32 AM
Well, it partly goes with the completely bizarre title...

Yeah, but it's still an ugly, unappealing cover to say the least.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

snyprrr

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on November 30, 2012, 06:01:20 AM
Just in, thanks to: http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/2012/11/ghastliest-classical-cover-of-2012.html

Even better when you HAVE to scroll from the top, slowly revealing the bottom half, haha!!

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 28, 2012, 05:02:52 PM
I thought this cover was pretty horrible:

Another GMG member posted this cover in the listening thread and I thought was so awful that it would perfectly suit this thread.

And I thought Bridge had a lock on that type of cover.

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Quote from: James on December 05, 2012, 02:53:29 AM
Helikopter-Streichquartett (1992-93) 31:20
Studioproduktion 1996

Irvine Arditti, David Alberman, violins
Garth Knox, viola; Rohan de Saram, cello

"The Grasshoppers" (helicopter acrobatic team)

http://www.stockhausencds.com/Stockhausen_Edition_CD53.htm

I nearly started Apart from the inset photo which does not flatter the composer . . . only the unattractive appearance was probably deliberate, as the cover looks to me an obvious knock-off of this choice artifact from the '60s:

<<Image removed by Admin>>

. . . reinforcing the composer's "If you're a hippie, I'm your classical man!" image ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Karl Henning

Exactly. The cover of the debut album for a group you almost have to be a rock music nerd to have heard anything about: Blind Faith.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot