Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kullervo

Quote from: Hector on September 13, 2007, 06:09:43 AM
Really, I would have thought that any homophobe would find the cover not only tasteless but offensive.

Do you find it offensive?

Quentin Crisp used to say that many homophobes were such because they felt guilt about their latent homosexuality.

Incidentally, not that it interests you, John Hurt has been signed up to play the Stately Homo of England, again, in a film of Crisp's life in NY.

A gay man being called a homophobe, that's a hoot. 8)

It speaks volumes that you assumed I was straight. ;D

Hector

Quote from: sound67 on September 12, 2007, 08:06:48 AM
Exactly.  ::)

Also, the cover doesn't identify ANY of the works on this disc, as if they didn't matter (well, probably they don't). Same goes for the "gay" disc.

Edited my moderator for offensive personal remark.

Oh, I see, it offends you because you are Anti-American as, clearly, the disc signals by its cover that it contains American music played by an American orchestra under an American conductor.

All I need to do is pick it out and turn it over to see what it contains, or not, depending on my interest.

MishaK

Quote from: Hector on September 13, 2007, 06:13:34 AM
Oh, I see, it offends you because you are Anti-American as, clearly, the disc signals by its cover that it contains American music played by an American orchestra under an American conductor.

All I need to do is pick it out and turn it over to see what it contains, or not, depending on my interest.

Hector, have you lost your senses? It's just bad taste and not very creative design. One doesn't have to be a Cuban communist to dislike the cover. Chill out, dude.

sound67

Quote from: O Mensch on September 13, 2007, 07:04:32 AM
Hector, have you lost your senses? It's just bad taste and not very creative design. One doesn't have to be a Cuban communist to dislike the cover. Chill out, dude.

If only he could. But that would require some sense of humor on his part, of which there is no trace.

The producers of this disc obviously thought that the flag would sell itself, irrespective of contents of the CD. That alone is an offense against the composers.

Thomas
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

Kullervo

Hector

Quote from: Corey on September 13, 2007, 06:11:42 AM
A gay man being called a homophobe, that's a hoot. 8)

It speaks volumes that you assumed I was straight. ;D

Not volumes, surely, a paragraph at most, because why would I?

I didn't know.

It does not answer my question, however, merely adds to Crisp's comments: you find it tasteless because it draws attention to homosexuals or you are ashamed of your sexuality?

Hector

Quote from: O Mensch on September 13, 2007, 07:04:32 AM

No, you have lost yours.

I find myself defending the Americans and their flag here because some, you, for example, are offended by it.

What would be creative in this context?

Hey, DUDE, you is full o' crap!

Kullervo

Quote from: Hector on September 18, 2007, 05:45:16 AM
Not volumes, surely, a paragraph at most, because why would I?

I didn't know.

It does not answer my question, however, merely adds to Crisp's comments: you find it tasteless because it draws attention to homosexuals or you are ashamed of your sexuality?

No. I find this just as distasteful.

Stop being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. Get a hobby.

Hector

Quote from: sound67 on September 13, 2007, 09:38:24 AM
If only he could. But that would require some sense of humor on his part, of which there is no trace.

The producers of this disc obviously thought that the flag would sell itself, irrespective of contents of the CD. That alone is an offense against the composers.

Thomas

No they didn't, Thomas, they were advertising the fact that the disc contained American music by the simplest and, in their judgement, most direct way possible with one of the most recognisable flags on the planet.

Would they put a Venezualean flag on to draw attention to the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra, for example? I doubt it.

You do not answer my question but avoid it with insults. I on the other hand find you one of the most side-splitting humorous contributors ::)

MishaK

Quote from: Hector on September 18, 2007, 05:48:52 AM
No, you have lost yours.

I find myself defending the Americans and their flag here because some, you, for example, are offended by it.

What would be creative in this context?

Hey, DUDE, you is full o' crap!

Hector, you've fallen prey to a dangerous you're-either-with-us-or-you're -against-us sort of thinking. Did I say I was offended by it? No. It's just not well done as a piece of graphic design and it doesn't even tell us what's on the CD. Disliking a particular CD cover because it cheaply uses the flag for lack of any creative ideas doesn't mean I hate the flag. Normal sentient beings would not require that I defend myself by explaining something so obvious. BTW, by contrast, the following CD cover also uses the flag, but much more tastefully:

orbital

Quote from: Corey on September 17, 2007, 04:42:53 PM

One word: Woof!

That is awful! "I am outlined in poison green! Watch out, and also watch out for the deer-dude! "  :P

MishaK

I think some of the orchestra in-house labels could really use some help with cover designs:

Lethevich

@ O - I actually like those RCO ones :D They aren't subtle, but very distinctive.

Quote from: Corey on September 17, 2007, 04:42:53 PM

Jesus God... that looks like a trance album...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

MishaK

Quote from: Lethe on September 18, 2007, 08:41:12 AM
@ O - I actually like those RCO ones :D They aren't subtle, but very distinctive.

Really? I get a headache everytime I look at that Brahms album cover.

sound67

Quote from: Hector on September 18, 2007, 05:55:25 AM
Would they put a Venezualean flag on to draw attention to the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra, for example? I doubt it.

Me, too. Because, Venezualeans are more mature.

I can well imagine Hector as a flagwaver ...
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

MishaK

Quote from: sound67 on September 18, 2007, 10:40:10 AM
Me, too. Because, Venezualeans are more mature.

Actually, they perform concerts in something that could only be called national team jerseys.

Kullervo

What is with those Jansons covers? Some of them look like broken pills.  ???

MishaK

Quote from: Corey on September 19, 2007, 05:58:35 AM
What is with those Jansons covers? Some of them look like broken pills.  ???

It's what happens when you leave your Aspirin on the wood block right before the hammer blows.

Hector

Quote from: O Mensch on September 18, 2007, 06:21:35 AM
Hector, you've fallen prey to a dangerous you're-either-with-us-or-you're -against-us sort of thinking. Did I say I was offended by it? No. It's just not well done as a piece of graphic design and it doesn't even tell us what's on the CD. Disliking a particular CD cover because it cheaply uses the flag for lack of any creative ideas doesn't mean I hate the flag. Normal sentient beings would not require that I defend myself by explaining something so obvious. BTW, by contrast, the following CD cover also uses the flag, but much more tastefully:

OK, I get the joke ;D

Hector

Quote from: Corey on September 18, 2007, 05:54:24 AM
No. I find this just as distasteful.

Stop being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. Get a hobby.

Well, that's just a matter of personal taste. If I was brought up by, say, the Plymouth Bretheren, I would, likely as not, find it beyond the pale.

But, since I wasn't (thank God >:D) I merely think: "What's she got to hide?"

I have a hobby: being argumentative ;)