Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MishaK

Quote from: Hector on September 19, 2007, 07:25:35 AM
OK, I get the joke ;D

???  It wasn't one. What joke did you think you got?

Hector

Quote from: O Mensch on September 19, 2007, 07:44:02 AM
???  It wasn't one. What joke did you think you got?

You are serious, aren't you?

That MTT cover is simply hideous. No, absolutely hideous. Oh, and lacking imagination but that is no reason to condemn as the heading of the thread is quite clear.

MishaK

Quote from: Hector on September 19, 2007, 08:05:43 AM
You are serious, aren't you?

That MTT cover is simply hideous. No, absolutely hideous. Oh, and lacking imagination but that is no reason to condemn as the heading of the thread is quite clear.

Actually, I was serious. And I await your explanation of what makes it hideous (I will for now reserve the overly "obvious" conclusion from your criticism that you are obviously an anti-American homophobe since you take offense at a cover that pictures the Star Spangled Banner alongside a photo of an openly gay conductor).  ;)

DavidW

The problem with the flag cover (Slatkin) and the big guy cover is that they are too simplistic-- it looks like they just googled an image, added a text box and printed it imo. ;D

longears

Quote from: O Mensch on September 18, 2007, 06:21:35 AM

So this cover is the cause of the squabbling?  I like the graphic design, I don't think it makes ANY statement about MTT's sexual orientation, the flag reminds me of Jasper Johns, and it's a clear reference not only to the "American sound" Copland is so often identified with, but to the title and theme of the album, The Essence of America.

Excellent graphic design, the more I think about it.

As for the Lara St. Johns, there's a difference between "bad looking" and "in poor taste."  However, in her case the covers are intended to sell records that otherwise would be purchased only by her friends and family, and I suspect they're somewhat successful.  I've never heard her playing.  My prejudices suggest that someone who stoops to such tactics has little of value to offer.

Hector

Quote from: O Mensch on September 19, 2007, 10:59:14 AM
Actually, I was serious. And I await your explanation of what makes it hideous (I will for now reserve the overly "obvious" conclusion from your criticism that you are obviously an anti-American homophobe since you take offense at a cover that pictures the Star Spangled Banner alongside a photo of an openly gay conductor).  ;)

You are quite mad.

Quite the opposite as my feeling was that your objection to the Slatkin/Louisville was political rather than of taste.

Likewise the 'gay' cover.

The MTT cover has, clearly, no merit whatsoever, a view I am rapidly forming of you.

MishaK

Quote from: Hector on September 21, 2007, 05:38:40 AM
Quite the opposite as my feeling was that your objection to the Slatkin/Louisville was political rather than of taste.

You quite misunderstood me as I clearly explained that my irritation with the Slatkin cover was a matter of taste. You imputed, without any basis, a political objection to everyone who found it irritating.

The MTT cover has, clearly, no merit whatsoever, a view I am rapidly forming of you.

Longears already eloquently explained the merits of the MTT cover (the reference to Jasper Johns and the entire American visual art heritage I found quite appropriate - so you see, it's more than just a flag in this case). However, it does frequently appear that you do form views very rapidly indeed, and without much reflection or substantiation. I suppose that attitude permits you to avoid any uncomfortable questioning of your own biases and prejudices.

Don

I think the MTT cover sucks because of its washed-out colors, period.

sound67

You are quite mad.

Likewise the 'gay' cover.

Oh, but the stupid American flag on its own has, or some torso disconnected from any contents of any disc. That has merit.  ::)

You are obviously quite mad, and if you're not, then it won't come over my lips just what you are.

Thomas
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

KevinP

Some of these are pretty bad, though somehow appropriate for the subject matter.
http://www.vinylvulture.co.uk/pages/moog_galleryc.htm

Incidentally I studied with Hans Wurman of the Moog Strikes Bach album.

Hector

Quote from: sound67 on September 21, 2007, 09:20:51 AM
Oh, but the stupid American flag on its own has, or some torso disconnected from any contents of any disc. That has merit.  ::)

Thomas

I do not understand anything after "stupid American flag."

Are you anti-American?

Were you drunk when you penned this?

Hector

Quote from: O Mensch on September 19, 2007, 10:59:14 AM

Firstly, I did not know, nor do I care, that MTT was gay and, secondly, I thought that the objections to the covers were because you were anti-American and a homophobe...and I'm accused of jumping to conclusions to quickly.

You need a new translation service.

MishaK

Quote from: Hector on October 01, 2007, 04:30:49 AM
Firstly, I did not know, nor do I care, that MTT was gay and, secondly, I thought that the objections to the covers were because you were anti-American and a homophobe...and I'm accused of jumping to conclusions to quickly.

Why would you ever think that if you weren't jumping to conclusions?

Methinks you need a thinking device.  ::)

KevinP

This forum has a private message function, remember. I personally would prefer not to read all this bickering, but since you're doing it in a thread called 'Worst looking CD/LP artwork,' I keep having to read it to see if the new posts have anything to do with this particular topic which I like to follow.

Please take it to PMs or start a new thread out of respect for those of us who aren't interested in reading insults.

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

KevinP

My head is overloading with interpretations of that one. The latest is that the statue's just swiped him with the ring, causing the hair it contacted to fall down.

Kullervo

Quote from: donwyn on October 03, 2007, 08:20:19 PM

What is it with people trying to make Scriabin look like Timothy Leary?