Blind comparison: Bach Cello Suites

Started by aukhawk, January 26, 2015, 05:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aukhawk

OK, well I'm aware that there's a blind Mozart comparison somewhere down the page, and I really don't intend to interfere with that when it becomes a going concern, but ...

I've got a Bach Cello Suites blind test ready, this would be a 'miDi-blind' (by 'midi' I mean between 12 and 24 runners and riders).
In fact Round 1 will be 3 groups of 6, I hope.
Thing is, I've got 30 here - so I'm proposing a Prologue round, very short clips, very quick assessment, no messing about, just to knock those 30 down to 18.  Once that's done, we can review where the Mozart is at, before continuing with Round 1 proper.

3 groups, 10 in each.  Each sample is about 3 minutes of music, comprising extracts from the Courante and Bourrees of Suite 4 in E flat major.
All I need to know really is one of:
Yes - I'll want to hear more of this one
OK - I wouldn't rule it out
No - this would never make my short list.
To be honest 3 minutes is more than enough for this - probably 30 seconds is all you'll need!  For sanity's sake, I advise not trying to do all 10 in one sitting, even though it is only about 35 minutes in total.

PM me or add to this thread to receive download links for one of the groups in the Bach Blind Prologue.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

mc ukrneal

Count me in!

By the way, Mozart was cancelled, so no scheduling problems.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Que

Pat B

jfdrex

aukhawk, please count me in as well. Thanks.

Moonfish

Sounds like fun. I'm in!  Thank you!  :)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

aukhawk

Thanks everyone!  Links gone out to all those who've replied so far.  I really enjoyed compiling these, I hope you enjoy listening to them.

Round 1 proper, when we get there, will comprise around 13 minutes of music from Suites 3 and 2. 
Round 2 will probably concentrate on Suite 6. 
The final will probably be the entire Suite 5.

kishnevi

Waves hand wildly to make it clear he wants in...

mc ukrneal

It's been a while, so I was starved for a blind listening! :) No comments, since it's really a pre-vote. But I did vote out the non-cello, although for musical reasons (which was a boon, because it will be difficult to compare the non-cellos, though it would be interesting to hear them).

B group
Yes - 3 and 10
Ok - 1,4,6,7 and 8
No - 2,5, and 9
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Brian

xochitl

aukhawk

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 26, 2015, 05:23:05 PM
It's been a while, so I was starved for a blind listening! :)

Little more than an amuse-bouche.  Hopefully it won't be too long before the fish course arrives!

Fair choices Neal, thankyou.

Moonfish

Aukhawk,
All assessments go directly to you via a PM?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

aukhawk

No, more fun if they go straight in to this thread I think.  Neal's above were put in to white text to conceal them, but that's all optional as far as I'm concerned.

What I would be interested to hear from others, is, in the next rounds do you want the 'blind history' of each concealed, so that effectively in each round each remaining cellist has to prove themselves again - or shall I just say, like "F4 (was A1)" so that you can build up more of a picture?
Personally, with 36+ movements to go at and we won't hear them all by any means, I don't see anything wrong with the 2nd approach.  What do people think?

premont

Quote from: aukhawk on January 26, 2015, 01:26:23 PM

Round 1 proper, when we get there, will comprise around 13 minutes of music from Suites 3 and 2. 
Round 2 will probably concentrate on Suite 6. 
The final will probably be the entire Suite 5.

Very well organized, I think.

What will be the deadline for round 1?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

xochitl

yes - B2, B7, B5,
ok - B4,
no - B1, B3, B6, B8, B9, B10

aukhawk

Ruthless axeman!!  ;)

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 27, 2015, 02:57:40 AM
What will be the deadline for round 1?

If you mean this 'Prologue', well hopefully the end of the coming weekend, and I'll post the results on Monday.  We'll see how it goes though.