Claudio Monteverdi

Started by Tancata, July 01, 2007, 02:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

Quote from: Moonfish on May 28, 2018, 11:02:12 PM
I just ordered the recent compilation/repackaging of the Monteverdi recordings performed by Ensemble Elyma and Gabriel Garrido.
For some reason Garrido's recordings have eluded me in the past so I'm very much look forward to exploring these performances. The individual releases seem hard to come by and/or are quite expensive at this point in time.  I noted that many members spoke highly of Garrido's Monteverdi previously in the thread.  :)    This thread (seemingly) had a Monteverdi listening frenzy back in 2013! It would be fun to rekindle the Monteverdian fire?

L'Orfeo

I also bought the Garrido set after it showed up in this forum. So far I have only listened to the Vespers; enjoyable but not a top choice. For various reasons I haven't made any progress with the rest of the set though I have Orfeo lined up for listening soon.

It is annoying, though typical these days, that the set has no texts. For me it is not a problem with the Vespers, Orfeo or Poppea but a nuisance for Ulisse and the madrigals. The selection of madrigals is from a number of composers not as well-known as Monteverdi and I will probably have some difficulty finding texts and translations for the lesser known works.

https://www.youtube.com/v/7JyDVotbAJQ

TheGSMoeller

Anyone heard this performance yet? I'm a huge fan of Dunedin/Butt's version of Bach's B-minor Mass and am very interested in this one. There is already such a great showing of Vespers on record so this would have to offer something quite new sounding to peak my interest, but if it's anything similar to their B-Minor Mass performance then I'm all in.

Zeus

Adding my two cents re Madrigals Book 8.  I first got the Alessandrini on Naive some time ago, but found it difficult to listen to.

Today I heard for the first time the La Venexiana version – and I found it revelatory!!

I did a bit of A-B comparative listening (just before dropping the Alessandrini in the metaphorical trash can).  I found La Venexiana to sound more natural and even warm, while the Alessandrini seemed a bit stiff and artificial.  Maybe fine for some, but not for me – I like my madrigals to sound as natural as possible. 

By the way, I also very much appreciated the instrumental accompaniment in Book 8.  As far as I know, earlier books tend to have little (5-7?) or none (1-4?).  I must say I prefer vocal music with instrumental accompaniment.

Anyway, count me enthusiastically in the La Venexiana camp!!  And a big fan of Book 8!!

Caveat: my opinions are hardly authoritative, and my preferences are still very much in flux, since I am only just beginning to develop a broad familiarity with early music.
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

JBS

Crosspost from WAYLT and EMC Club threads
CD 2 Vespers of St Joseph
[asin]B07NB946S6[/asin]

Live recordings from 2005. You can tell this was recorded in a church from the sound.
The Selva are, for this set, arranged in three programs: Vespers of St Gabriele, Vespers of St. Joseph, and a Missa Solemnis. To do this, five non-liturgical pieces, two hymns, and a motet were omitted, so this is not a truly complete recording. But otherwise it seems exemplary.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Selig

What are the best parts of Selva morale?

DaveF

Quote from: Selig on November 11, 2021, 10:25:18 AM
What are the best parts of Selva morale?

The 8-part Magnificat and second Dixit, IMHO.  This thread is rather quiet, isn't it?
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Selig

Thanks, I'll start the exploring...

Yes, way too quiet!

Selig

What do the Monteverdians think about Jörg Halubek?

DaveF

Quote from: Selig on November 12, 2021, 05:27:13 AM
What do the Monteverdians think about Jörg Halubek?

He was a new name to me, so I've given some excepts a spin on Spotify in glorious 128kbit sound (with a few interruptions from Billie Eilish).  I think I would probably have hated the staged production, with operatic characters and whatnot, but the music ain't half bad, although it probably belongs on the "guilty pleasures" list along with JE Gardiner's San Marco recording.  I find some of the instrumental improvisation a bit excessive, with a tendency to slow the pace down in a few places (the opening fanfare, for example).  And the cornettists in the Sonata sopra Sancta Maria go completely berserk - someone had spiked their Cornettos, methinks.  But the Psalms are very good indeed, with splendid depth and detail to the recording (even in 128k) - almost like being in the midst of the double choirs, with every individual line clear.  I've just sampled Duo seraphim - a bit beefy for my taste, like 3 Italian football fans on the way home from the bar.  But on the whole it passes my test for a good Vespro, which is to be left feeling, as I also do after a good B minor Mass, "this is really too beautiful, it cannot possibly exist".  So I really, really needed another Vespro, thanks, Selig  >:( - still, £7.99 on Qobuz is affordable, and my wife need never know...
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Selig

I know Halubek mainly from the very colorful recording he made with Leila Schayegh of the violin/harpsichord sonatas BWV 1014-9, if you don't know it you should at least sample it!

There are so many classic Vespro recordings I should hear but for some reason I'm drawn to these offbeat versions instead  :-\

Yesterday I found a surprisingly wonderful Pulchra es on this, sung by boys:

The whole thing is all-male. Needless to say it's the least sexy version I've heard...