Hello from a Newbie

Started by aligreto, February 08, 2015, 07:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: aligreto on February 09, 2015, 11:03:21 AM

I would be curious to know if you have a preference for a particular conductor's interpretation of the Sibelius symphonic cycle?

Karajan DG
Davis Philips

North Star

Welcome!

For Sibelius, go Vänskä/Lahti or Berglund/Helsinki
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Wanderer

Quote from: North Star on February 09, 2015, 09:22:54 PM

Good advice, both are favourites. I'm also quite fond of DNSO/Segerstam (whose Fifth and Seventh are especially splendid).

aligreto

Quote from: Moonfish on February 09, 2015, 12:34:36 PM
Of course! I think your metaphor was perfect!  ;)
Hmm, the Sibelius question is tricky. In a similar fashion one perhaps gravitate between different renditions over time? Currently (ha ha) I am favoring Vänskä with the Lahti SO, but have always favored C Davis with the LSO (which seemingly is unpopular) as that was my "first" cycle which I played over and over. Vänskä is new for me, but I find these performances outstanding. However, the journey continues. I am hopefully hearing Segerstam's Helsinki PO performances soon as well as Ehrling with the Royal Stockholm PO. At this moment I would pick Vänskä if my house was on fire. What about you? Not an easy choice at all, is it?

Yes, I see why you would enjoy the Vanska cycle. I found it to be hard nosed and unsentimental. However, that is the way that I like Sibelius to be interpreted, cold and bleak. I also like the Bernstein cycle very much finding the performances strong and assertive. I agree with you on the Davis LSO cycle over the BSO one. However, the go to interpreter for me in this music is von Karajan. I just love how he gets to grips with the music on that 4 – 7 set for DG. I also have a vinyl version of Symphony No. 2 on which he conducts the Philharmonia Orchestra. It is magnificent – a powerful, menacing and almost threatening performance; my single favourite Sibelius interpretation.

aligreto

Quote from: Ken B on February 09, 2015, 02:46:20 PM
Karajan DG
Davis Philips

I agree 100% on von Karajan DG; see my reply above.
However, I personally prefer Davis with the LSO over him with the Boston SO. Ultimately these things are merely subjective and small differences generate preferences. I just think that the the recordings with the LSO have a greater "presence" if that make sense.

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on February 09, 2015, 09:22:54 PM
Welcome!

Thank you for the welcome.
I actually own and enjoy both of your recommendations 8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on February 10, 2015, 08:31:00 AM

Then, as alternates, permit me to suggest:

Bernstein/NY Phil
Blomstedt/SFSO
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: aligreto on February 10, 2015, 08:31:00 AM
Splendid! Have you heard Segerstam?

[asin]B000CQNVSU[/asin]

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

Quote from: Wanderer on February 10, 2015, 12:44:56 AM
..... I'm also quite fond of DNSO/Segerstam (whose Fifth and Seventh are especially splendid).

That is a set that I have looked at in the past but did not eventually purchase [for no particular reason]. Perhaps I should look at it again.

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on February 10, 2015, 08:33:08 AM
Splendid! Have you heard Segerstam?

[asin]B000CQNVSU[/asin]

Our posts have crossed! So, another Segerstam recommendation although with a different orchestra.

aligreto

Quote from: karlhenning on February 10, 2015, 08:32:05 AM
Then, as alternates, permit me to suggest:

Bernstein/NY Phil
Blomstedt/SFSO

Thank you Karl, both already in my collection; the Bernstein being another favourite.

aligreto

Just for the record [pardon the pun] I have taken stock of my Sibelius complete symphonic cycles:

Ashkenazy / Philharmonia Orchestra
Berglund / Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra
Bernstein / New York Philharmonic Orchestra
Blomstedt / San Francisco Symphony
Collins / London Symphony Orchestra
Davis / Boston Symphony Orchestra
Davis / London Symphony Orchestra
Sakari / Iceland Symphony Orchestra
Sanderling / Berlin Symphony Orchestra
Vanska / Lahti Symphony Orchestra

I do of course have other individual performances which include the von Karajan 4-7 and Jansons 1, 2, 3 & 5.
Please do not hesitate to make further recommendations as I find this music enthralling.

North Star

I've enjoyed Storgårds' recentish set- at least nos. 3-7, I don't think I have heard nos. 1 & 2 from the set. Bassy and brassy goodness :)
You might be interested in Berglund's COE set too, hearing a smaller orchestra for a change. I haven't heard this one myself, but it seems to be well regarded.
E: Oh, and you don't have Maazel's Wiener Philharmoniker set with the 'liquid nitrogen' No. 4 8)

[asin]B00IO56TPS[/asin]
[asin]B00002472T[/asin]
[asin]B0000041Z3[/asin]

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on February 10, 2015, 09:00:53 AM
I've enjoyed Storgårds' recentish set- at least nos. 3-7, I don't think I have heard nos. 1 & 2 from the set. Bassy and brassy goodness :)
You might be interested in Berglund's COE set too, hearing a smaller orchestra for a change. I haven't heard this one myself, but it seems to be well regarded.
E: Oh, and you don't have Maazel's Wiener Philharmoniker set with the 'liquid nitrogen' No. 4 8)

[asin]B00IO56TPS[/asin]
[asin]B00002472T[/asin]
[asin]B0000041Z3[/asin]

Thank you for those recommendations.
Bassy and brassy goodness from Storgårds sounds good to me!
I like the idea of hearing smaller forces in Sibelius; would make for an interesting contrast to some of the cycles that I already own.
Maazel is always worth a consideration.