Camille Saint-Saëns

Started by BachQ, April 12, 2007, 05:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

There is a 2nd cello concerto op. 119 d minor and is has been recorded, it's just far less popular, a bit like the violin concertos except the #3 b minor.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Roasted Swan

QuoteWhy does the 2nd Cello Concerto usually get completely ignored in box sets? They'll have all five piano concertos, all three violin concertos but only the 1st Cello Concerto. Why? I assume there actually *is* a 2nd Cello Concerto. There has to be, otherwise why would the other one always have "No. 1" added to its title? You would just call it the Cello Concerto if that was the only one that got out into the world.

from Wiki;

Saint-Saëns' Cello Concerto No. 2 in D minor, Op. 119, is written in two movements, like his Fourth Piano Concerto. It was composed in 1902 and is dedicated to the Dutch cellist, Joseph Hollman, who gave the first performance on February 5, 1905 in Paris.[1] The Second Concerto is much more virtuosic than the First, but does not possess the thematic inventiveness and harmonic intricacy of the First.[2]

"In many respects, it's a finer creation than its famous predecessor in A minor Op. 33; larger in overall concept (it comprises two main sections, each subdivided into two movements) and arguably of greater thematic nobility, the concerto remains largely unknown."[3]

Music
Allegro moderato e maestoso - Andante sostenuto
Allegro non troppo - Cadenza - Molto allegro
The first part of the first movement is in ternary form. The second part is a prayer, in E-flat major, also in ternary form. The first movement ends with a scale in artificial harmonics, like the scale in the First Cello Concerto. The second movement is a moto perpetuo in G minor. It ends abruptly in a cadenza, followed by a major-key recapitulation of the first movement, and a coda.

Along with the solo cello, the concerto is scored for an orchestra consisting of 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons, 4 horns, 2 trumpets, timpani and strings.

kyjo

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 28, 2023, 11:49:50 PMWhy does the 2nd Cello Concerto usually get completely ignored in box sets? They'll have all five piano concertos, all three violin concertos but only the 1st Cello Concerto. Why? I assume there actually *is* a 2nd Cello Concerto. There has to be, otherwise why would the other one always have "No. 1" added to its title? You would just call it the Cello Concerto if that was the only one that got out into the world.

Yes, there is indeed a 2nd Cello Concerto, and a wonderful work it is too! Its slow movement ranks among Camille's loveliest creations. No idea why it's often ignored in box sets, but fortunately multiple fine recordings of it exist, and I've noticed that it's starting to be taken up more frequently by cello soloists.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

71 dB

This thread inspired me to listen to the 2nd Cello Concerto. The recording I have is Naxos 8.553039.

Saint-Saëns is one of those fine composers who have been ignored in many ways for some reason...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Brian

It's because it has been so rarely recorded. For example, Warner didn't put it in their box because they have never made a recording - they would have to license one of the Naxos recordings, for example.

Now. Why is it so rarely recorded? I have no idea. It's so lovely!

Maestro267

I listened to all three Violin Concerti back to back this afternoon. I usually go for the Third when I listen to one but I decided to do No. 1, and that was so short I just didn't stop the disc when No. 2 followed immediately afterward.

vandermolen

The Organ Symphony was an answer (which I got right  ;D ) to a question on 'University Challenge' on (UK) TV this evening. All the music questions featured works with prominent parts for organ.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

Going to bump this as I'm gonna be listening to *a lot* of S-S in the coming days, as highlighted in Recent Purchases thread.

Huge fan of Cyprés et lauriers for organ and orchestra! Very epic and ceremonial! The Urbs Roma symphony has a bit less going for it but it was still a pleasant listen. Prior to today all I had in my collection was the main concertos. Slightly annoying that they couldn't find room for the 2nd Cello Concerto in this box but I can't really complain too much.

Scion7

Quote from: vandermolen on May 29, 2023, 03:07:42 PMThe Organ Symphony was an answer (which I got right  ;D ) to a question on 'University Challenge' on (UK) TV this evening.
Did you call in?
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on November 02, 2023, 11:45:52 PMDid you call in?
No, that's not an option. But the cat appreciated my musical knowledge.
 ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

A good ol' shout-at-the-TV-and-Paxman*-will-tell-you-if-you're-right

(*Or whoever was hosting at the time. I don't keep track.)

Keeping things on Camille, I'm currently listening to the Op. 109 set of Preludes and Fugues for organ. I need more organ music in my collection and this set is a good start.

Scion7

I can't think of anything by Saint-Saens that I've heard that I did not like, although some pieces of course are towards the bottom of the composer's list.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Maestro267

Immediately in love with the Symphony No. 1 in E flat major. A first movement as lively (if not more so) than the Rhenish, a gorgeous slow movement with harp.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on November 03, 2023, 01:38:38 AMNo, that's not an option. But the cat appreciated my musical knowledge.
 ;D

DavidW

Quote from: Maestro267 on November 03, 2023, 10:46:25 AMImmediately in love with the Symphony No. 1 in E flat major. A first movement as lively (if not more so) than the Rhenish, a gorgeous slow movement with harp.

I think that Saint Saens non-organ symphonies are surprisingly excellent and should be performed and recorded more often!

Maestro267

Listening now to the un-numbered Symphony in A major. There's a Schubertian lightness and freedom in this, not least due to the use of a slow introduction to the first movement.

I've been mainly diving into the chamber music in the last few days. Huge fan of the two Cello Sonatas, and the two String Quartets are also excellent.

Scion7