The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Krzysztof Penderecki (b. 1933)

<< < (2/140) > >>

not edward:

--- Quote from: MrOsa on April 13, 2007, 01:42:53 AM ---I've seen the Sextet recommended quite a few times on the old forum, so I probably need to check that out, thanks!

--- End quote ---
Yes, it's a good piece, probably my favourite of his neo-Romantic period. (Possibly of his whole career.)

I have really mixed feelings about Penderecki. He's undoubtably talented, but appears to have terrible issues with musical structure and a dreadful tendency to lapse into pure bombast. (The only time I don't mind the bombast is in the Second Symphony, which is so absurdly over the top that I can enjoy it as a piece of pure camp.)

I never really liked the more modernist pieces that much either. They're striking on the surface, but when I compare them to what Ligeti or Lutoslawski were doing at the same time, the craftsmanship is not remotely on the same level.

I'd agree with those who like his chamber music best: I think the string trio is another strong piece, and the clarinet quintet is pretty good (the second violin sonata is flaccid and compares really poorly to similar pieces by Shostakovich and Schnittke, though, IMO).

Maciek:
I think you're right, Edward. I'd never listen to Penderecki for the same sort of intellectual/emotional experience/stimulation that Lutosławski gives me. But I love those early pieces as a form of very enjoyable, organized noise - I listen to them a bit as if they were pop music, actually ;). And I don't think comparing those pieces to Ligeti or Lutosławski is exactly fair ;). There are no microstructures in Penderecki - these are all very broad brush strokes. But ultimately, I find them effective and fun. ;D For me - they work.

And yes, his issues with form are definitely very serious... Or maybe he's just managed to attain a plane that most of today's music hasn't reached yet? ;D ;D

greg:
Cool way to start off a new forum with a really cool Penderecki thread!

hmmm.... i don't know about the 'slightly pompous demeanor', though. He seems like a really gentle soul, even though he kinda looks like a tough guy. You should hear his voice, lol, i expected this really deep voice, but nah

Cato:
What is really annoying is that no company has yet issued Symphony #8.

Interested people will want to see this site:

http://www.penderecki.de/cds/instrumentalmusik/orchester/index.html

Maciek:

--- Quote from: greg on April 13, 2007, 05:53:30 AM ---Cool way to start off a new forum with a really cool Penderecki thread!

hmmm.... i don't know about the 'slightly pompous demeanor', though. He seems like a really gentle soul, even though he kinda looks like a tough guy. You should hear his voice, lol, i expected this really deep voice, but nah

--- End quote ---

Well, I really had just one TV interview that I once saw in mind. He seemed more than slightly vain there but maybe it was a bad day or something... ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version