Author Topic: Krzysztof Penderecki (b. 1933)  (Read 101597 times)

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)
Re: Krzysztof Penderecki (b. 1933)
« Reply #680 on: October 19, 2021, 06:51:49 AM »
Thanks again for these recommendations. I've been listening to the Horn Concerto, Sextet and A Sea of Dreams..., none of which I'd heard before, and indeed found much more variety than I'd anticipated. While I found the Concerto and Sextet a bit incoherent, A Sea of Dreams... kept me fascinated from start to finish. While there are obvious (and for me quite unexpected) echoes of Szymanowski, I really wouldn't have guessed the composer if I hadn't known: there's a subtlety in the scoring, material and form which I hadn't previously experienced in his later music. I look forward to exploring your other selections.
 Not in the least, as you see.

One more "later" work that I feel needs to be added to the list (one of my favourite Penderecki works, regardless of period) is his Credo - 1998

I vigourously recommend it to anyone.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Jean Sibelius (1865 - 1957)
  • Currently Listening to:
    19th Century through the 21st Century
« Reply #681 on: October 19, 2021, 07:01:59 AM »
One more "later" work that I feel needs to be added to the list (one of my favourite Penderecki works, regardless of period) is his Credo - 1998

I vigourously recommend it to anyone.

Oh yes! That's a fine work, but which recording? There are several now:

I've heard the Wit and Rilling. Both are outstanding performances. I haven't heard the Kord recording but I like his conducting a lot and his recording of Gates of Jerusalem ("Symphony No. 7") is amazing.
"Humility is society's greatest misconception."

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #682 on: October 19, 2021, 07:03:01 AM »
Oh yes! That's a fine work, but which recording? There are several now:

I've heard the Wit and Rilling. Both are outstanding performances. I haven't heard the Kord recording but I like his conducting a lot and his recording of Gates of Jerusalem ("Symphony No. 7") is amazing.

I only have the Wit recording, John.  :)

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #683 on: October 19, 2021, 07:10:15 AM »
A frightening piece, but I do love it quite a bit I must say. I wouldn't rank it ahead of St. Luke Passion, but there are some terrifying moments in Utrenja. I like the Wit performance, but can definitely recommend this one as well:

Well, I tried to order this one on eBay (my first ever bid) and I was the only bidder.  A day before the bidding was to expire, the seller retracted the item off, so I'm SOL.  >:(

orchestrion

« Reply #684 on: October 19, 2021, 07:42:15 AM »
Well, I tried to order this one on eBay (my first ever bid) and I was the only bidder.  A day before the bidding was to expire, the seller retracted the item
That's a shame. For me this is possibly the best thing he ever wrote, and I think this recording is far preferable to Wit (despite the other Penderecki recordings from Wit being excellent, the ones I've heard anyway) - all the performers, especially the vocal soloists, are going for maximum intensity rather than the restrained approach in the more recent recording. Compare for example the basso profundo soloists, or the tenor solo in the second movement of part I which is jaw-dropping in Markowski's recording.

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #685 on: October 19, 2021, 07:46:02 AM »
That's a shame. For me this is possibly the best thing he ever wrote, and I think this recording is far preferable to Wit (despite the other Penderecki recordings from Wit being excellent, the ones I've heard anyway) - all the performers, especially the vocal soloists, are going for maximum intensity rather than the restrained approach in the more recent recording. Compare for example the basso profundo soloists, or the tenor solo in the second movement of part I which is jaw-dropping in Markowski's recording.

Yes, it is a shame.  Utrenja is indeed one of my favourite works.  I have the Wit and do enjoy it, but really wanted this recording.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #686 on: October 19, 2021, 08:13:58 AM »
Well, I tried to order this one on eBay (my first ever bid) and I was the only bidder.  A day before the bidding was to expire, the seller retracted the item off, so I'm SOL.  >:(

Damn, that sucks, Ray. Have you tried acquiring it in this issue?

I'd send this one to you, but it's a part of a five-part series that I'm not about to break up. :) I also own that gold disc reissue, which is difficult to find, so I won't be parting with that one either. ;)

I see there's two of them on eBay for a fair price:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/324663970600?hash=item4b977b0b28:g:pRcAAOSwQUFgMI-s

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/203274999657?hash=item2f54225769:g:nzAAAOSwIihgGpFz
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 08:24:04 AM by Mirror Image »

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #687 on: October 19, 2021, 08:16:55 AM »

I'd send this one to you, but it's a part of a five-part series that I'm not about to break up. :) I also own that gold disc reissue, which is difficult to find, so I won't be parting with that one either. ;)

I'll keep looking John, thanks.  Eventually it will resurface.  :)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #688 on: October 19, 2021, 08:44:45 AM »
I'll keep looking John, thanks.  Eventually it will resurface.  :)

Just an FYI, I edited my reply to you and included links to eBay. ;)

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #689 on: October 20, 2021, 09:11:38 AM »
Polymorphia is down right scary!  :o

You can see and hear The Devils of Loudun on YouTube. I haven't yet found a recording of Kanon for Orchestra and Tape on CD, it will be on the to do list. I have sampled on YouTube.

Symphony #3 was used to great effect in Scorsese's film Shutter Island.

Cello Concerto no. 1 is coming my way in the mail.

Threnody is probably his most famous piece from his avant-garde era.
I just watched that movie and was haunted by the effect that his music had on me at the time...worked wonderfully well in that movie.  I'll have to hear the whole work now and see how I like it on its own.

PD

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #690 on: October 20, 2021, 09:24:35 AM »

I see there's two of them on eBay for a fair price:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/324663970600?hash=item4b977b0b28:g:pRcAAOSwQUFgMI-s

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/203274999657?hash=item2f54225769:g:nzAAAOSwIihgGpFz

Thanks very much John.  I just purchased one of these.  :)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #691 on: October 20, 2021, 09:58:48 AM »
Thanks very much John.  I just purchased one of these.  :)

Very nice, indeed. 8)

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #692 on: October 21, 2021, 10:51:30 AM »

First listen to these works.  Royally impressed with the Magnificat - 1973-74.  It is still much in the vein of the experimental Penderecki, and here you have another instance of the Passacaglia theme that recurs numerous times in his other works, most markedly in his Symphony No. 3.  Although this work is not quite as spooky and alarming as Utrenja, it is still quite a harrowing piece!  :o

However, I can't say I was impressed with Kadisz (2009).  There were some good moments, but overall it didn't make much of an impact.

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #693 on: October 21, 2021, 10:53:11 AM »
I just watched that movie and was haunted by the effect that his music had on me at the time...worked wonderfully well in that movie.  I'll have to hear the whole work now and see how I like it on its own.

PD

Marvelous!  :)  That was my first exposure to the Penderecki symphony as well, via the film.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #694 on: October 21, 2021, 08:05:13 PM »

First listen to these works.  Royally impressed with the Magnificat - 1973-74.  It is still much in the vein of the experimental Penderecki, and here you have another instance of the Passacaglia theme that recurs numerous times in his other works, most markedly in his Symphony No. 3.  Although this work is not quite as spooky and alarming as Utrenja, it is still quite a harrowing piece!  :o

However, I can't say I was impressed with Kadisz (2009).  There were some good moments, but overall it didn't make much of an impact.

Magnificat is a marvelous work. I especially like this Penderecki-led performance:

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #695 on: October 22, 2021, 02:24:39 AM »
Magnificat is a marvelous work. I especially like this Penderecki-led performance:

Yes, I also listened to that performance yesterday. I'd say they are both very good.