The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Krzysztof Penderecki (b. 1933)

<< < (139/139)

Mirror Image:

--- Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 20, 2021, 09:24:35 AM ---Thanks very much John.  I just purchased one of these.  :)

--- End quote ---

Very nice, indeed. 8)

OrchestralNut:

First listen to these works.  Royally impressed with the Magnificat - 1973-74.  It is still much in the vein of the experimental Penderecki, and here you have another instance of the Passacaglia theme that recurs numerous times in his other works, most markedly in his Symphony No. 3.  Although this work is not quite as spooky and alarming as Utrenja, it is still quite a harrowing piece!  :o

However, I can't say I was impressed with Kadisz (2009).  There were some good moments, but overall it didn't make much of an impact.

OrchestralNut:

--- Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 20, 2021, 09:11:38 AM ---I just watched that movie and was haunted by the effect that his music had on me at the time...worked wonderfully well in that movie.  I'll have to hear the whole work now and see how I like it on its own.

PD

--- End quote ---

Marvelous!  :)  That was my first exposure to the Penderecki symphony as well, via the film.

Mirror Image:

--- Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 21, 2021, 10:51:30 AM ---

First listen to these works.  Royally impressed with the Magnificat - 1973-74.  It is still much in the vein of the experimental Penderecki, and here you have another instance of the Passacaglia theme that recurs numerous times in his other works, most markedly in his Symphony No. 3.  Although this work is not quite as spooky and alarming as Utrenja, it is still quite a harrowing piece!  :o

However, I can't say I was impressed with Kadisz (2009).  There were some good moments, but overall it didn't make much of an impact.

--- End quote ---

Magnificat is a marvelous work. I especially like this Penderecki-led performance:

OrchestralNut:

--- Quote from: Mirror Image on October 21, 2021, 08:05:13 PM ---Magnificat is a marvelous work. I especially like this Penderecki-led performance:

--- End quote ---

Yes, I also listened to that performance yesterday. I'd say they are both very good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version