Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Quote from: MrOsa on April 18, 2007, 06:33:01 AM
Bruce, the Polskie Nagrania disc that I have is still in print. It looks like this:

And it's available in Polish internet stores (haven't checked amazon): merlin and gigant, for example.

It's a very good performance, with an excellent set of performers (including my favorite Polish soprano Stefania Woytowicz), conducted by a Polish contemporary music legend, Andrzej Markowski (he had done an enormous lot of first performances).

Maciek

Thanks so much, Maciek!  PS, Woytowicz is on the Ormandy recording, as well!  (Or perhaps you knew that... ;))  Here is the excerpt I found from The Musical Quarterly .

--Bruce

Maciek

Thanks for the link. And no, until today I knew nothing of the Ormandy recording. :-[ There are more overlaps in the cast: Bernard Ładysz and Peter Lagger are in the Polish recording too.

MDL

Quote from: bhodges on April 18, 2007, 06:39:02 AM
Thanks so much, Maciek!  PS, Woytowicz is on the Ormandy recording, as well!  (Or perhaps you knew that... ;))  Here is the excerpt I found from The Musical Quarterly .

--Bruce

The Ormandy recording consists of the first half only, The Entombment. The Resurrection was written later. I actually prefer the Ormandy recording of the first half to the Polish recording. Unfortunately, it has never been released on CD. Neither has Kosmogonia, which inhabits a similar sound world.

bhodges

Quote from: MDL on April 18, 2007, 07:02:11 AM
The Ormandy recording consists of the first half only, The Entombment. The Resurrection was written later. I actually prefer the Ormandy recording of the first half to the Polish recording. Unfortunately, it has never been released on CD. Neither has Kosmogonia, which inhabits a similar sound world.

Ah, thanks for that clarification, MDL. 

--Bruce

greg

i don't know if it's been recorded on CD, but here's a fun little solo clarinet piece:

go to classicalmusicarchive.net and for Penderecki, they have a Preludium for Clarinet. you have to register for the site, though

karlhenning

Quite the tangent, but this recording I've been listening to of the Hartmann Concerto funèbre and of the Szymanowski First Vn Cto is conducted by Penderecki.

Maciek

How is he?

karlhenning

Both these concerti have a nice delicacy, Maciek.

Maciek

Ah, perfect! That's the way they should be played. Maybe I'm all wrong about Penderecki's conducting then... 0:)

Still, better safe than sorry. ;)

karlhenning

Maciek

greg

The World Premiere Recording of his 8th symphony on Naxos.com!

i don't think they have the audio up yet, though, because it doesn't seem to work  :P

greg

Quote from: Maciek on January 04, 2008, 12:12:43 PM
What about the recording I posted for you in the Mystery Score thread? Have you finally listened to it?

Here's the link - for those who've missed it.
yep, i listened to it and liked very much what i heard! I don't know if i you had the whole symphony on there, though.... i downloaded some, listened, and forgot about it.... and i just tried now clicking on the link and there aren't any files there.

MDL

Quote from: 僕はグレグ (Greg) on January 04, 2008, 12:08:20 PM
The World Premiere Recording of his 8th symphony on Naxos.com!

i don't think they have the audio up yet, though, because it doesn't seem to work  :P

I'm more excited about the new recording of the Dies Irae that accompanies it.

Maciek

A new recording of the Dies Irae?! :D That's one of my favorite Penderecki pieces!

OTOH, do I actually need a second recording...? Well, what I've heard of the 8th so far was also very tempting (and I don't generally take to Penderecki's symphonies)... Perhaps I'll have to get this new CD then. 8)

MDL

Quote from: Maciek on January 05, 2008, 03:40:07 AM
A new recording of the Dies Irae?! :D That's one of my favorite Penderecki pieces!

OTOH, do I actually need a second recording...? Well, what I've heard of the 8th so far was also very tempting (and I don't generally take to Penderecki's symphonies)... Perhaps I'll have to get this new CD then. 8)

Full track listing: 8th Symphony, Dies Irae and The Psalms of David. There are samples on the Naxos website. HMV had loads of copies, but I want to support Harold Moores in Soho, so I'm going to wait until they have it in stock.

greg

Quote from: Maciek on January 04, 2008, 12:12:43 PM
What about the recording I posted for you in the Mystery Score thread? Have you finally listened to it?

Here's the link - for those who've missed it.
thanks! I only got the first 3 files at first, but now i got the last 3, and have turned them on.  :)

BachQ

Does anyone have an opinion of Penderecki's VIOLIN CONCERTI (1 or 2)?

not edward

Quote from: Dm on January 08, 2008, 06:42:28 PM
Does anyone have an opinion of Penderecki's VIOLIN CONCERTI (1 or 2)?
For me, both are rambling, intermittently beautiful, but too loosely-structured for my taste.

For people interested in this composer, Naxos is about to release the Eighth Symphony ('Lieder der Verganglichkeit') on a disc with the Dies Irae and Aus den Psalmen Davids. When I heard this symphony, I felt it was one of Penderecki's more convincing recent works, so I'll be looking forward to reacquainting myself with it.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

BachQ

Quote from: edward on January 08, 2008, 06:45:49 PM
For me, both are rambling, intermittently beautiful, but too loosely-structured for my taste.

For people interested in this composer, Naxos is about to release the Eighth Symphony ('Lieder der Verganglichkeit') on a disc with the Dies Irae and Aus den Psalmen Davids. When I heard this symphony, I felt it was one of Penderecki's more convincing recent works, so I'll be looking forward to reacquainting myself with it.

Are there other Penderecki symphonies that you really like?