Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

I've ordered my next Penderecki disc. It includes Concerto Grosso No. 1 for three cellos and orchestra, Largo, and Sonata, both for single cello and orchestra.

I wonder if Wit and co will get around to recording more of his works. Some gaps I can think of off the top of my head are Cello Concerto No. 1, Concerto Grosso No. 2 (five clarinets and orchestra), Concerto Doppio (violin, cello and orchestra), the revised Symphony No. 8, Symphony No. 6.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 23, 2019, 12:36:12 AM
I've ordered my next Penderecki disc. It includes Concerto Grosso No. 1 for three cellos and orchestra, Largo, and Sonata, both for single cello and orchestra.

I wonder if Wit and co will get around to recording more of his works. Some gaps I can think of off the top of my head are Cello Concerto No. 1, Concerto Grosso No. 2 (five clarinets and orchestra), Concerto Doppio (violin, cello and orchestra), the revised Symphony No. 8, Symphony No. 6.

A great purchase. I've listened to those cello works and I can say they are rewarding. I like that dark and hopeless style too, more subdued than that of his early period.

Maestro267

Yep. I've listened to the Concerto Grosso twice now, and I've already latched onto a few passages that I really like.

SymphonicAddict

My first time listening to Utrenja, and wow!! It is a most shocking work!! I can't think of a darker, more nightmarish or more frightening piece of music about Christ. Penderecki at the height of his powers in his early period. This man is a magician to conjure up eerie sceneries. This was thoroughly impressive. As a piece of advice: never listen to this work being alone and/or at night! Easily one of my favorite choral works ever.

Maestro267

Whether it's a good choice as a first Penderecki work, idk, but Utrenja was the first Penderecki work I bought. I was fascinated by the variety of sounds made by both instrumental and vocal forces. I find it a tough nut to crack, and one of the major factors in this is the lack of a printed libretto. Makes an already-difficult work even more challenging to follow. I can't even find a libretto anywhere on the internet.

Cato

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 21, 2019, 10:28:47 AM
Whether it's a good choice as a first Penderecki work, idk, but Utrenja was the first Penderecki work I bought. I was fascinated by the variety of sounds made by both instrumental and vocal forces. I find it a tough nut to crack, and one of the major factors in this is the lack of a printed libretto. Makes an already-difficult work even more challenging to follow. I can't even find a libretto anywhere on the internet.

Let me check my archives on Monday!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Carlo Gesualdo

I firmly believe none is darker than old Penderecki works. St Luke's passion is a great favourite and Utrenja is creepy as hell heathen.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Carlo Gesualdo on November 28, 2019, 04:15:18 PM
I firmly believe none is darker than old Penderecki works. St Luke's passion is a great favourite and Utrenja is creepy as hell heathen.

St Luke's Passion is on my radar. If it is as good (or better) as Utrenja, definitely I want to hear it.

BTW, I recognize you from another site.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Cato

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 21, 2019, 10:28:47 AM

I finally remembered after three months to check The Vast Cato Archives, and I have the score for Utrneja, Part I.   Let me so how much time it would take to extract a translation.

Symphony #6 anyone?  It seems not to have caused any fuss: I can only find two premieres, one in China and one in Dresden, the latter 18 months ago.

vers la flamme

I got my hands on the Naxos disc with the 3rd symphony, the Threnody, and De natura sonoris II. That latter work is really awesome. I haven't heard the rest of it yet. I am new to Penderecki's music and not always in the mood for it but I think that he is an important composer.

Maestro267

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 28, 2019, 07:17:06 PM
St Luke's Passion is on my radar. If it is as good (or better) as Utrenja, definitely I want to hear it.

BTW, I recognize you from another site.

I find the Passion easier to digest than Utrenja. It's still intense, but the inclusion of the sung text helps a lot. I've seen it said that Utrenja can be seen as a sequel to the Passion, its two parts (composed and premiered separately, it must be said) perhaps dealing with or reflecting on the events of Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday respectively.

Carlo Gesualdo

Mister Penderecki is Great, hello sir From Canada, I think your early works are pure genius, sir.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Carlo Gesualdo on November 29, 2019, 08:02:52 AM
Mister Penderecki is Great, hello sir From Canada, I think your early works are pure genius, sir.

Umm...yeah. I don't think Penderecki is reading this. ???

Symphonic Addict

At last the very delayed Symphony No. 6 Chinese Songs:

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

greg

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 19, 2020, 01:25:05 PM

Am I dreaming?  ???

Preordered.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: greg on March 19, 2020, 03:28:19 PM
Am I dreaming?  ???

Preordered.

Well, stop dreaming and make it real.  ;)

Noam Chomsky

Cato

I was just wondering about that work a few days ago!  Many thanks!

Maestro267

Fantastic! Finally the cycle is complete.

relm1

Quote from: Maestro267 on March 21, 2020, 11:04:51 AM
Fantastic! Finally the cycle is complete.

Dammit, I want a No. 9!  And it would be his magnum opus.  The work that ties his early works and brings them full circle to his later neo-romantic style.

relm1

Just listened to this.  I think the Symphony is very beautiful!  It reminds me of Mahler's Das Lied von Der Erde though without any of the fast or loud moments.  Like Mahler's song cycle, this work isn't quite a symphony but more of song cycle and sung in German but of Chinese songs.  The general feel is lyrical, somewhat impressionistic, and exotic oriental song cycle.  It's a lovely and gentle work.  There is no angst in it at all but it does have a yearning quality.  I don't think I've heard anything from Penderecki that sounds like this.  In contrast, the Viola Concerto is what I consider typical of his late romantic style though here it is arranged for clarinet and strings.  This is a very fine disk.