Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 15, 2021, 06:40:18 AM
That, or this option of a multi DVD opera set.

The Devils of Loudun

This is the one that is available currently on YouTube, that Bruce kindly shared the link to earlier this year.

I'd much rather listen to an opera than watch it --- as strange as that sounds.

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 15, 2021, 06:43:28 AM
Listening to the Sextet now, John.

As for the violin sonatas, I've just ordered them (Naxos set).  Haven't heard these before.  I'm also only familiar with the 1st string quartet (famously playing at the opening credits of The Exorcist).

Very nice, indeed. 8)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 15, 2021, 06:49:54 AM

Oh yes, I do know that about you, John.  :)

I'm kind of like that with ballet music.  8)

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 15, 2021, 06:38:09 AM
The Sextet and Violin Sonatas are also top-notch. Of course, I love the SQs, too.

His chamber works are hidden gems.

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 15, 2021, 06:49:54 AM

After I've initially watched it and know it I then prefer to just listen.  But I don't like it if I can't have that initial watch.

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 15, 2021, 06:55:55 AM
Oh yes, I do know that about you, John.  :)

I'm kind of like that with ballet music.  8)

Nice Penderecki avatar, Ray. 8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on September 15, 2021, 07:00:33 AM
His chamber works are hidden gems.

Yeah, it does seem like they don't get enough attention.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 15, 2021, 07:07:40 AM
Nice Penderecki avatar, Ray. 8)

Thanks.   :) I used this avatar before, but it is probably like 8+ years ago.  ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on September 15, 2021, 07:02:06 AM
After I've initially watched it and know it I then prefer to just listen.  But I don't like it if I can't have that initial watch.

Well, opera in general is on the bottom of my list when it comes to my own preferences, but I do love several of them.

Brahmsian

I know 100% for a fact that Karl Henning would love his Prelude for Solo Clarinet (1959) and the Clarinet Quartet (1993)  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 15, 2021, 07:10:27 AM
I know 100% for a fact that Karl Henning would love his Prelude for Solo Clarinet (1959) and the Clarinet Quartet (1993)  :)

Karl does like the Sextet as he mentioned this before, but I'm not sure how he feels about Penderecki's other works.

Brahmsian

Just listened to Kanon for Tape and Orchestra (1962).  Another one of Penderecki's eerie, frightening pieces from his avant-garde period!  :o  Used also in great effect in The Exorcist and The Shining films.

YouTube - Orchestra Sinfonica Nazionale della Radio Polacca - conducted by the composer

*Not to be listened to just before bedtime.  :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 15, 2021, 07:43:16 AM
Just listened to Kanon for Tape and Orchestra (1962).  Another one of Penderecki's eerie, frightening pieces from his avant-garde period!  :o  Used also in great effect in The Exorcist and The Shining films.

YouTube - Orchestra Sinfonica Nazionale della Radio Polacca - conducted by the composer

*Not to be listened to just before bedtime.  :D

I listened to this piece for the first-time a few nights ago and thought there was something wrong with my headphones. :D But then I realized that tape part was divided up, which was pretty freaking cool sounding.

The performance I listened to came from this 2-CD set, which of course is way OOP at this juncture:

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 15, 2021, 07:55:45 AM
I listened to this piece for the first-time a few nights ago and thought there was something wrong with my headphones. :D But then I realized that tape part was divided up, which was pretty freaking cool sounding.

The performance I listened to came from this 2-CD set, which of course is way OOP at this juncture:

Yeah, I was looking for that disc, but couldn't find it in CD form (available as a download though on Presto).  Was probably that exact performance that was on YouTube.

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 15, 2021, 08:01:28 AM
Yeah, I was looking for that disc, but couldn't find it in CD form (available as a download though on Presto).  Was probably that exact performance that was on YouTube.

I also bought this set, which is essential listening, too:

Brahmsian

Question:  Are there any recordings of the Polish Requiem that includes the Chaconne as part of the whole performance?  It should be sandwiched in between the Sanctus and Agnus Dei.

Of note, the Chaconne was written in 2005 (in memory of the late Pope John Paul II), while the Polish Requiem was written in 1984.  The Chaconne is supposed to be an addendum to the Polish Requiem, but I have only seen it performed separately.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 15, 2021, 08:17:06 AM
I also bought this set, which is essential listening, too:

Would this be the same John, just a reissue of the above?

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 15, 2021, 07:09:18 AM
Well, opera in general is on the bottom of my list when it comes to my own preferences, but I do love several of them.

Same on both fronts.

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 15, 2021, 08:26:19 AM
Question:  Are there any recordings of the Polish Requiem that includes the Chaconne as part of the whole performance?  It should be sandwiched in between the Sanctus and Agnus Dei.

Of note, the Chaconne was written in 2005 (in memory of the late Pope John Paul II), while the Polish Requiem was written in 1984.  The Chaconne is supposed to be an addendum to the Polish Requiem, but I have only seen it performed separately.

Not to my knowledge, Ray. In fact, here's the premiere of the revised work:

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 15, 2021, 08:30:01 AM
Would this be the same John, just a reissue of the above?

Yep, they're both the same. 8) I actually own the older issue and this new one with the Warner logo. :D I gave my dad the new reissue on Warner.