Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 15, 2021, 08:32:51 AM
Not to my knowledge, Ray. In fact, here's the premiere of the revised work:

Right, I don't see the Chaconne included there.  Thanks!

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 15, 2021, 08:34:23 AM
Yep, they're both the same. 8) I actually own the older issue and this new one with the Warner logo. :D I gave my dad the new reissue on Warner.

Thanks, I've added the Warner reissue to my basket.  8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 15, 2021, 08:53:09 AM
Right, I don't see the Chaconne included there.  Thanks!

You're welcome.

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 15, 2021, 08:53:41 AM
Thanks, I've added the Warner reissue to my basket.  8)

A fine choice, indeed. 8)

greg

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 15, 2021, 04:43:13 AM
What I generally find prevalent in fans of Penderecki are the two camps:

Fans of his early avant-garde period and fans of his later period, and never the two shall meet.  ;D

Not everyone, obviously, but in general.
I like both but definitely have a preference for the early avant-garde stuff.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Maestro267

If you have Spotify you can programme it to queue up the Chaconne (on the Naxos disc with Te Deum) in between the Sanctus and Agnus Dei. It's very effective.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 15, 2021, 12:34:44 PM
If you have Spotify you can programme it to queue up the Chaconne (on the Naxos disc with Te Deum) in between the Sanctus and Agnus Dei. It's very effective.

I don't have Spotify, unfortunately. I am a CD Cro Magnon type of guy :D But yes, I see how that would work well in that situation.

I do have that Naxos disc with the Chaconne, a phenomenonal one at that, coupled with the Te Deum, Daniel's Hymne and Polymorphia. And do have the Wit performance on another disc for the Polish Requiem.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 15, 2021, 01:29:37 PM
I don't have Spotify, unfortunately. I am a CD Cro Magnon type of guy :D But yes, I see how that would work well in that situation.

I do have that Naxos disc with the Chaconne, a phenomenonal one at that, coupled with the Te Deum, Daniel's Hymne and Polymorphia. And do have the Wit performance on another disc for the Polish Requiem.

You can always rip the CDs to lossless files and stream the tracks from your computer, or burn the tracks to a CDR in whatever order you'd like to listen to play in your conventional CD player.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Maestro267

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 15, 2021, 01:29:37 PM

Yep, same. It's an interesting setup as the string orchestra of the Chaconne fades and then the choir comes in in the same key for the acapella Agnus Dei.

Brahmsian

Here is my order from yesterday, essentially, doubling my Penderecki library.   :laugh:  Most (not all) will be brand new music for me, other than some of the music that has appeared on Hollywood films (The Awakening of Jacob, as an example).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 16, 2021, 08:06:35 AM
Here is my order from yesterday, essentially, doubling my Penderecki library.   :laugh:  Most (not all) will be brand new music for me, other than some of the music that has appeared on Hollywood films (The Awakening of Jacob, as an example).

I'm looking back at my listening notes, and I seem to like Pederecki more than I thought. :)  Recently listened to the viola and cello concertos and found them engaging.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brahmsian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 16, 2021, 10:17:24 AM
I'm looking back at my listening notes, and I seem to like Pederecki more than I thought. :)  Recently listened to the viola and cello concertos and found them engaging.

Am not familiar with the viola concerto or the cello concerto # 2, but that will soon be resolved.  :)

Mirror Image

Sweet! A great haul, Ray. 8)

staxomega

This was part of my best of when it came out. There is apparently a ton I don't have, a Naxos box set would be quite welcome at this point!

Brahmsian

Quote from: hvbias on September 17, 2021, 02:09:06 PM
This was part of my best of when it came out. There is apparently a ton I don't have, a Naxos box set would be quite welcome at this point!

I am sure at some point in time, it will happen!

Mirror Image

Quote from: hvbias on September 17, 2021, 02:09:06 PM

I do believe it will happen, but probably not high on Naxos' priority list at the moment. Penderecki passed away last year, so this rules out any anniversaries, but if they put a box set out in 2033 it will be a special occasion as it would mark the composer's 100th birthday.

Maestro267

There are two boxes of assorted Naxos Penderecki discs out there. (Amazon links below.)

This one with choral works

This one with symphonies

Brahmsian

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 18, 2021, 10:27:27 PM
There are two boxes of assorted Naxos Penderecki discs out there. (Amazon links below.)

This one with symphonies

True, there are those two. I think Antoni Wit is likely still planning further recordings, so until he is done, we'll have to wait for a "complete" Naxos Penderecki box.

DavidW

This one with symphonies

Those are not boxes though!  They are just collecting the individual jewel cases together.  They don't save space.

DavidW

I've been planning on listening to the string quartets all week.  I finally have the time today.

relm1

This one with symphonies

It doesn't have the 6th Symphony.